Has anyone else had an automated purchase of Iphone call?

I have just received an automated phone call on my home phone, stating that I have purchase an Iphone for $350 dollars...which I haven't...I am not sure what this call is aiming achieve but I pretty sure it is a scam...One for the Annoying Box....

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Just received a call on my landline saying that my account was going to be charged $399 for an iPhone 7. I hung up.
Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Yes, just had same scam call as below. I hung up.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

Sorry for sounding ignorant.

What does that have to do with eBay?

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

No need to apologise...most folks are well aware.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

No need to apologise...most folks are well aware.

Oh SNAP   I was gunna do it, then I thought, no Kat, be a good Kat

Millions of kudo's to you

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

@ep000001 wrote:

Sorry for sounding ignorant.

What does that have to do with eBay?

Why don't you enlighten us, expert? You have the answers to everything, whether they are correct or not (mostly not).

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

asomim100
Community Member

Yes I had the ebay/iphone call from a foreign accented male "Chris", cursed him out and hung up.

I could hear other male voice in the background speaking Indian I think.

Another one for the scamming box.

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

just got one $   500  will be deduction from account told them sounds like   bogus call to me  do not know what  your talking about  they hung up  checked purchases on my Ebay thinking  change my password  or some thing if true    maybe getting voice prints     for banking frauds who knows   ???? .

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

It is a well-known scam.

These calls are made to people with an eBay account, without an eBay account, with internet, without internet, with blue eyes, with brown eyes, with hazel eyes, with green eyesโ€ฆ

In other words, to ANYONE.

They donโ€™t know your password (in the basic eBay refund scam, that is โ€” similar to the Amazon refund scam and a host of others along the same lines). They are following a pre-written scam script. They are mostly operating from Kolkata. They are part of a scamming call centre โ€” one of many such centres.

BEST RESPONSE

Give away no confirmation of details. Do not say the word โ€œyesโ€. Do not even say you have an eBay account. Do not confirm name. Hear just enough for you to gauge that it is a scam, then hang up.

You donโ€™t need to tell the scammer that youโ€™re hanging up or why. Say as little as possible. You can say โ€œYou are a scammer; do not call me againโ€ and then hang up, but really, just a simple hang-up /disconnection is the most efficient and least dangerous response.

GAUGING THAT IT IS A SCAM

eBay wonโ€™t call you about a possible fraudulent purchase on your eBay account. They have set up their entire Customer Service and Complaints system to be run largely upon automated lines, and an email to you from them will be accompanied by a message in your eBay account marked as having come from eBay.

If your account has been hacked, you should check the eBay help pages specifically addressing this. You will be able to contact eBay by Live Chat or possibly by phone, but only ever using the โ€œcontact usโ€ details on the eBay Help pages.

If something has been fraudulently purchased by your eBay account, you will never - EVER - be required to download an app or programme (e.g., Anydesk or similar) that gives a third party access to your device or computer. Scammers try to convince victims to download such apps and talk about connecting you to their secure server to action a cancellation and refund. Itโ€™s nonsense.

Judt hang up, and if in doubt, open a new browser window, and from eBay.com.au you can go to eBay help, type in โ€œhacked accountโ€, open the relevant help page from search results. Do NOT google for eBay phone number; scammers also have websites and search engine advertising with fake eBay or fake Amazon or fake Norton or fake pretty much anything phone numbers, etc.

Soโ€ฆ search only within the correct eBay site. Never click an emailed link. Always look at the actual URL. And donโ€™t engage with scammers even to tell them what miserable sons of a rabies-infected goat they are; any sort of engagement is a open window.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

@asomim100 wrote:

Yes I had the ebay/iphone call from a foreign accented male "Chris", cursed him out and hung up.

I could hear other male voice in the background speaking Indian I think.

Another one for the scamming box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got one a few days ago, a female claiming to be from Amazon for an order of an IPhone.  The accent was American and pre-recorded, with prompts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@black-merlin-1 wrote:

just got one $   500  will be deduction from account told them sounds like   bogus call to me  do not know what  your talking about  they hung up  checked purchases on my Ebay thinking  change my password  or some thing if true    maybe getting voice prints     for banking frauds who knows   ???? .

I didn't say anything with the Amazon call. I just listened, didn't follow the prompt and then the call disconnected.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply