Hey "made and offer" on a listing and It was pick up only, do I pay on pick up or do I pay upfront?

joh-184593
Community Member

Hey so I made an offer for a listing and it was pick up only and I was wondering if I pay on pickup or do I pay upfront through PayPal..? I am concerned as PayPal doesn't cover items I pick up and I rather not pay first and screw my self over. 
I am student and I don't own a car so I have to travel a bit to pick up the school books and I was wondering what I should do in the event the seller doesn't show up or flake?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Hey "made and offer" on a listing and It was pick up only, do I pay on pick up or do I

I was beginning to wonder about that as well Chamo, if the seller didn't accept the offer and the OP asked for or gave contact details, then that would have almost certainly resulted in a 7 day ban on messaging anyone for both of them. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Re: Hey "made and offer" on a listing and It was pick up only, do I pay on pick up or do I

It's like this. If you make an offer & it is accepted, you can usually pay either cash on pick up or by paypal, though some sellers aren't rapt if you do it via paypal.

Personally, I think cash makes more sense as if you go to pick up & it isn't as described, you can walk away, you don't have to take it. 

The seller might then open an unpaid item claim against you but you just reply to ebay with 'item not as described' and they will usually have your back & remove any strike.

What I am finding unusual in your post is you are saying you have to travel quite a way, so what do you do if the seller 'doesn't turn up'.

Aren't you going to their home?

If I were a seller with a pick up item, I'd expect the buyer to come to me, I wouldn't be travelling far for them. 

If you have bought the item and want it, just do the travel if the seller has given you a meeting place/time. It will probably work out.

But if you do bid again in future, always factor in the distance and whether you are prepared to travel far, pay fares etc for the item.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

Many people don't like strangers coming to their home, and prefer to meet in a public place such as a shopping centre car park, or a public place of some kind, especially for smaller portable items.

That's probably what the OP has in mind.
Message 13 of 13
Latest reply