How do I find sellers that do not use australia post?

iktbay
Community Member

Hi,

I do not want to use Australia Post for non-delivery of anything ever again. The hour and a half I would need to spend collecting a parcel is costs me 3 times more than the item. Australia post never deliver parcels, only cards in your mailbox. 

I recently had a good experience with fast-away couriers. Is there some way I can filter or search for sellers who do not use Australia Post? Or, are sellers generally willing to negotiate price for an alternative delivery method?

If there is no way to purchase items on ebay without using Australia Post, then I guess I will just need to buy on Amazon, who DO actually deliver your items.

Thanks and regards,

iktbay

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: How do I find sellers that do not use australia post?

Just one other thought... If parcel lockers and PO boxes aren't a viable option, perhaps an alternative delivery address might help? That's assuming it's more a case of an individual postie not attempting to deliver for one reason or another on that particular route, but if you have a work address, friend, family or associate where deliveries can be made (on a different postie's route), it might yield a different (hopefully easier) result. 

Message 41 of 68
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Just one other thought... If parcel lockers and PO boxes aren't a viable option, perhaps an alternative delivery address might help? That's assuming it's more a case of an individual postie not attempting to deliver for one reason or another on that particular route, but if you have a work address, friend, family or associate where deliveries can be made (on a different postie's route), it might yield a different (hopefully easier) result. 

I considered using the office address, although my preference is not to receive items there. If I continue to buy on e-bay I will re-consider. I do have friends and family 15 minutes away, although they are often out during the day also. On the other hand, I have never had to collect an Amazon delivery. Once I missed delivery during the day, rang the courier (might have been AAE) and they re-delivered at 6:30PM the next day after I got home, which was awesome. Even if there was some way to avoid the hour long wait in line at the post office I could redirect to a post office closer to the office and pick up at lunch and keep it in my bag.

Message 42 of 68
Latest reply

I think you will find that our postal workers like a lot of others have had their penalty rates etc eroded over the years, the couriers who  work for Australia Post (which i think was contracted out) get $1 per parcel.

Message 43 of 68
Latest reply

Do you have any evidence for this? That would mean they would have to deliver 18 parcels per hour to make minimum wage, or 1 parcel every 3 minutes. I am not saying you are wrong, just that I don't believe it.

Message 44 of 68
Latest reply

where is minimum wage $18 an hour?

what award is that?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 45 of 68
Latest reply

Read the whole thread, crikey.

Logical and consistent doesn't spring to mind.

Message 46 of 68
Latest reply

What kind of evidence would you like? I talk to people who do it for a living, I occasionally get deliveries on a Sunday so I said to the very nice bloke "I hope you are getting overtime" and when he finished laughing he told me no, they get paid $1 per parcel. Believe it or not there are a lot of low paid workers out there, and dare I say  soon to be a lot more.

Message 47 of 68
Latest reply

MA000038 - Road Transport and Distribution Award 2010

https://extranet.deewr.gov.au/ccmsv8/CiLiteKnowledgeDetailsFrameset.htm?KNOWLEDGE_REF=216332&TYPE=X&...

$17.31 for Grade 1. Sorry, allow me to be more specific. At $1 per parcel, a Grade 1 Transport worker would need to deliver 17.31 parcels per hour to make minimum wage, or 1 parcel every 3.466204 minutes, or if decimal is not your thing, 1 parcel every 3 minutes, 27 seconds, 972 milliseconds.

Message 48 of 68
Latest reply

@iktbay wrote:

Regardless of whether I am home or not, Australia Post leaves a card in my mailbox. They just don't deliver parcels at all. I've had Australia Post forge delivery times and signatures. As a general rule, Australia Post delivers cards, not parcels.

It is irrelevant how far the post office is from me. To collect a parcel takes around an hour and a half of my time. 15 minutes each way to the post office, and an hour waiting in line to collect my parcel. An hour and a half has an economic value of $115 to me. Why would I spend $115 of my time to collect a $30 parcel, when the reason I order online in the first place is to save that very time searching for items in retail shops?

I hear what you are saying about courier delivery, I have had the same experience at different addresses, however I have never had a receipted parcel delivered by Aust Post, and I just don't have the time or incentive to spend hours collecting parcels that I paid to have delivered. I may as well just order from Amazon, who DO deliver items to my mailbox.

$77 an hour?

I call shenanigans...

Hire a personal assistant for minimum wage.....

In the mean time, talk to australia post and ask them why your items are not being delivered, but carded. Make a formal complaint if need be. (obviously can't help for signayures etc, but most parcels itn will)

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 49 of 68
Latest reply

They are contractors, however, so wages are not applicable.

Nor are running costs for their business. Little things like vehicle lease, vehicle maintenance, fuel, time to fill out a BAS at least once every three months.

Lets be generous and say 30 parcels per hour. And you wonder why they card when the door isn't answered?

Message 50 of 68
Latest reply