How pathetic to see a store auctioning off a bottle of Isocol. Preying on fear shouldn't be allowed

An item that normally retails for about $10 is being used to generate profit through fear. Morally bankrupt. It is usually referred to as profiteering and one of the lowest human acts.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: How pathetic to see a store auctioning off a bottle of Isocol. Preying on fear shouldn't be allo

It is not limited to online selling.

I was in the Priceline chemist at Gordon in suburban Sydney this afternoon.

Thye were not on open display, but there was a sign in the dispensary area that said they have packs of 20 N95 masks available.

The price....   $200.00 !

It is so rewarding to see health care professionals adhering to community expectations re price gouging  -  NOT.

I queried whether the price on the sign was a mistake, but no... "that is the price".

I know where I will never shop again.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Re: How pathetic to see a store auctioning off a bottle of Isocol. Preying on fear shouldn't be allo

@five_eyes,

At least one other post on these boards has mentioned that increased prices of high-demand items may not actually be due to price gouging, but rather to increased costs.

Some of those increased costs are the result of increased freight (for instance, fewer planes, more people involved - such as those deep sanitising the planes, tighter border controls, etc.) businesses struggling to survive having to factor in some costs which previously they could absorb, factories having to pay overtime and employ additional staff to make sanitiser or P2/N95 masks and other PPE, and getting the raw materials for everything made, some of which are costing more because of regular supplies already being allocated... This ridiculous panic-buying creates a gap because of people buying far more than is the case regularly, which means regular supply chains are disrupted, and when businesses all around Australia (and indeed globally) have somehow to obtain enormous quanities in a hurry (completely replenishing some items), the unavoidable result is that costs go up.

I can only applaud the efforts of pharmacies and medical suppliers throughout Australia for doing their very best to meet the present demand in a time of trouble. If something looks too expensive, I won't assume that the seller is price-gouging. (I will still seek the best price on any item that I'm buying, of course, but sometimes it's a case of ... well... does one need the item? Yes? Is there any way to bargain down the price? No? Then is it available anywhere else? No? Okay, grab that item and pay what's being asked before someone else goes through this thought process faster than I.)

If it IS price-gouging - which means I have a reasonable suspicion of the item's cost price at the time of its being obtained from the supplier, and the price is a lot higher than the cost price can justify, and it's an item whose availability in a time of great trouble is artificially scarce, so that the seller is profiteering from disaster - well, then, I suppose I might gouge out the miscreant's eye à la  Duke of Cornwall and say, "Now THAT is gouging." (Or not. I can't truly imagine myself plucking out anyone's eye, no matter how much of a profiteerer they may be.)

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

ive noticed you are most unplesant when you reply to posts, I feel sorry for people like you, have you  everconsidered getting help for your problem?

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

sadly a nasty piece of work , sorry you hav to be attacked, see my comment above , hugs to you 🙂

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

@gemmababe2001 wrote:

ive noticed you are most unplesant when you reply to posts, I feel sorry for people like you, have you  everconsidered getting help for your problem?

there is a group of approx 10 or so regulars that come on here every day doing just that.

these 10 or so are all pals and they all agree with each others comments / opinions but yours.

they all kudos each others comments even if it makes no sense.

i come here when i get bored (once a month if ya lucky)

not like some that are bored all day every day  !!

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

thats really sad, typical bully pack mentality behaviour, if only ther realised we get back what we give out, I like to give good into the world, makes me feel good, makes others happy and as a bonus I get good kama back. But I wil not hesitate to call out bullies and nasty people,  and to supoet other s who are treated badly, if the nasty bullies dont like it they can always be nice. its thier choice 🙂

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply