How widespread is lying about jewellery materials?

Hi. I'm relatively new to eBay, and I was looking to buy some nice jewellery. I've found what seem to be some good deals, but I'm worried that maybe these items are being advertised as proper gold or real pearls, for example, when they're really only gold-plated/filled or imitation pearls.

Like, okay, this is something I was thinking of buying, but I just wonder why someone would keep selling these for what seems to be about 50c per pearl pendant. And maybe they still get decent feedback because you'd have to take it to be appraised to know, which would be more expensive than buying the **bleep** thing.

So I thought I'd ask - can anyone tell me whether pretending imitation gemstones and gold-plating/filling are the real deal is a big problem on eBay? Or generally lying about your product being made up of higher quality material than what it actually is?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: How widespread is lying about jewellery materials?

Hi, I'm no expert, but if it says fashion jewellery, then I would think it was not real.

If it is only using platina tone metal  as per that listing, then they wouldn't be using valuable pearls.

In the end, you generally get what you pay for ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There is nothing underhand about those listings....they are clearly stated as freshwater pearls and gold plated metal and listed in the costume jewellery section. And the size is clearly stated....they are TINY!!!

And the seller is in China.

Surely you would not be bothered getting what is essentially junk jewellery valued?

If it is listed cheapy on ebay it is just that....cheap!

If you want good jewellery you will have to pay for it...not much less than what you would buy it in the retail shops.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Lyndal, they're actually listed in 'Fine Jewellery'. Goodness knows how the eBay bots haven't picked that up!

Missbittens, I happen to have some of these which I bought last year for granddaughters birthday 'treat bags' - her little friends loved them (but that's not saying much lol!). Freshwater pearls are very cheap - cultured pearls are the expensive ones. If you message me your address I'm happy to send you one so you can see what they look like Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Sorry, I should have said that the title was Fashion Jewellery, not the listing category.

I really don't think that anyone could mistake that listing for Fine Jewellery unless they really don't know anything about what they are buying.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Okay, thanks a lot everyone, that was very helpful.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply