I got emailed an invoice for an item I was negotiating price on

stoph-88
Community Member

I had to contact a seller in china to ask for a left handed variant of an archery bow.  They said they could do it but the listing had no left hand option.  They told me to make an offer on the listing as the price they could do was better than the advertised price.  I did this and there was no response.  

Then a paypal invoice came to my private email address for the item.  I had not given the email address to the seller.

Anyway, I paid it and then heard nothing more.

I waited until the payment had been processed, about 3 days and emailed the seller at their paypal email and finally got a confirmation of the sale.

This was 10 days ago and I've asked 3 times via email when or if the item has been or will be sent.

I've had no reply.

I'm not sure what to do and wonder if I've lost my AU$145

PayPal says they only have the same email that I have as a contact for them.  I still wonder how they got my email address.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

stoph-88
Community Member

I for one dont want anyone punished.  No one has been ripped off yet.  If the wrong item turns up or nothing turns up, I will peruse the matter through paypal.  They have advised me I'm covered.  If ebay punishes me, they have simply lost another buyer.  It's not like there isnt other online selling platforms.  They are often considerably cheaper to buy through, which would also indicate they are cheaper to sell through.  Ebay doesn't have a monopoly.  

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

That scenario would have raised all sorts of red flags for me, firstly the seller somehow getting your email addy and then, presumably, doing a deal off eBay. Does the bow show in your eBay purchase history ?

Obviously you are not covered by eBay's MBG but you are covered by Paypal, the problem is that unless they have specified a left-handed bow in the Paypal invoice you may not be covered for an "item not as described" dispute if they send a right-handed bow.

What was the eBay item number of the original listing ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

It would seem you have breached ebay rules and completed the transaction outside of ebay, does the  transaction appear in you ebay purchases list, if not you have no protection via ebay, and will have to rely solely on paypal.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

The Invoice does specify the bow I asked for. I dont have much ebay experience, I thought the invoice was all legit, until I noticed the sale doesn't appear in my purchase history. I thought the seller was able to just send me an invoice for the agreed amount, so I paid it.
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Could you post the eBay item number of the original listing - it's on the RHS of the listing page opposite "description/postage and payments"   

Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

The seller says it's been shipped. I dont want to cause trouble for him. If the bow turns up I will, be happy.
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

So what you're saying is OP will be punished as the buyer?

We all know that the seller won't get any punishment.

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

It would seem you have breached ebay rules and completed the transaction outside of ebay, does the  transaction appear in you ebay purchases list, if not you have no protection via ebay, and will have to rely solely on paypal.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

stoph-88
Community Member

I for one dont want anyone punished.  No one has been ripped off yet.  If the wrong item turns up or nothing turns up, I will peruse the matter through paypal.  They have advised me I'm covered.  If ebay punishes me, they have simply lost another buyer.  It's not like there isnt other online selling platforms.  They are often considerably cheaper to buy through, which would also indicate they are cheaper to sell through.  Ebay doesn't have a monopoly.  

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@stoph-88 wrote:
The seller says it's been shipped. I dont want to cause trouble for him. If the bow turns up I will, be happy.

Providing the item number will not cause trouble for the seller, but seeing their feedback will give the experienced members here indications of how the sale may pan out. Also if there look to be problems down the track, what actions you will need to take, and more importantly what actions NOT to take to safeguard your buyer protection.

Believe me when I say that Chinese sellers in particular, know every trick in the book to thwart any dispute you may open. 

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

You have 180 days from date of purchase to make a claim through PayPal, so if it hasn't arrived in about 6 weeks, come back and someone can advise how to proceed.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply