I hate Global Shipping

I purchased 2 bushings from the USA and got a meessage on 26th April that I wouldnt receive my items until the 4th June.  The cost of shipping these bushings was $28 USD via this service which is expensive and ridicusouly slow.  They could have gone in a USPS flat rate box for much less and a lot quicker. I hate this **bleep** and will never buy from anyone using this shipping method.  Typical Ebay just doing what they like and screwing with buyers and sellers.  Thanks for making the whole experience much worse.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: I hate Global Shipping

Thanks for your advice and I wont buy from sellers using GSP however my fourth sentence already stated that.   Thanks for reminding me about COVID I had no idea why I was isolating.  WOW  15,899 messgaes on these boards.  Impressive!

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Found it {I think} but it made my head spin after the first paragraph.............

5. Managed Payments Limitations
Notwithstanding any other terms on the eBay Services, for sellers whose accounts are enabled for managed payments:

You may not list items directly on any of eBay's international Services, nor direct us to display listings on eBay Services other than the eBay Service on which you originally listed. This includes the international site visibility advanced listing upgrade, which currently is unavailable. For more information, please see “Charity, International Listings, and International Site Visibility”

None of that means international buyers can't purchase items - see this part in particular " you will no longer be able to ship the item to a parcel processing facility located in the United States in order to fulfill orders for your international buyers". 

These are T&Cs for the US site - all it is saying is that once opted in to managed payments, the global shipping program will not be accessible, and any sales to international buyers will need to be shipped directly to the buyer. It's also saying that you can't list on international sites, i.e.  if you are in the US you can't list on eBay.com.au, nor can you pay for the visibility upgrade, which was a thing on the US site (paying extra for higher visibility on other sites). 

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks Digi.   original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

@plymouthred wrote:

I purchased 2 bushings from the USA and got a meessage on 26th April that I wouldnt receive my items until the 4th June.  The cost of shipping these bushings was $28 USD via this service which is expensive and ridicusouly slow.  They could have gone in a USPS flat rate box for much less and a lot quicker. I hate this **bleep** and will never buy from anyone using this shipping method.  Typical Ebay just doing what they like and screwing with buyers and sellers.  Thanks for making the whole experience much worse.

Surely it was you and not eBay who placed the order and confirmed the shipping option? Or did you ask the seller to ship with USPS and have them go against your wishes, in which case it would be the seller "screwing" with you?

I've only ever ordered one item using GSP - a large, heavy, injection molded case.  The cost to have it shipped over from the USA with GSP was cheaper than I could send the same item between two towns or cities within Australia - it was ridiculously cheap.  For bulky or heavy items, GSP pricing usually works out pretty cheap.  For small items (like your bushings) there are often options that are cheaper (if the seller offers them), though good luck getting *anything* quickly iin our current situation.

Like anything, do your research before buying.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@plymouthred wrote:

I hear you and I sympathise with you. I'll avoid it whereever I can! The best thing to do is contact the seller first and see if they will re-list the item(s) with USPS or whatever other as the shippping. Most sellers I have approached are more than happy to do so. Many have no idea that overseas buyers will have the items sent via Global Shipping.

One seller I dealt with was a seasoned seller. He had no idea what Global Shipping was. Some of his auctions were via GSP and some were to be calculated by the seller.

@rapadaan wrote:

Quote "Many have no idea that overseas buyers will have the items sent via Global Shipping. " I find that hard to belive when the seller is given a US shipping Address  

Well rapadaan, from what I have read posted here, I believed that a good deal of sellers in America had no idea that Australian buyers and no doubt buyers from other countries were having their items sent via GSP. This was confirmed by my own personal experience when approaching sellers and asking if they could please change the auction (They have to relist again) so they can send the item via USPS. I can vividy recall the words of three sellers. One said something like ... "Gosh, I didn't even know that the item was going via GSP. I'll change it now". Apart from those three, another seller who had some items via GSP and others not GSP had no idea what GSP was. No dummy by any means, he was a seasoned seller too.

Unkkown to Tom Selller / Suzie Seller, the auction has somehow defaulted to the Pitney Bowes Global Shipping Program.

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@plymouthred wrote:

I hear you and I sympathise with you. I'll avoid it whereever I can! The best thing to do is contact the seller first and see if they will re-list the item(s) with USPS or whatever other as the shippping. Most sellers I have approached are more than happy to do so. Many have no idea that overseas buyers will have the items sent via Global Shipping.

One seller I dealt with was a seasoned seller. He had no idea what Global Shipping was. Some of his auctions were via GSP and some were to be calculated by the seller.

@rapadaan wrote:

Quote "Many have no idea that overseas buyers will have the items sent via Global Shipping. " I find that hard to belive when the seller is given a US shipping Address  

Well rapadaan, from what I have read posted here, I believed that a good deal of sellers in America had no idea that Australian buyers and no doubt buyers from other countries were having their items sent via GSP. This was confirmed by my own personal experience when approaching sellers and asking if they could please change the auction (They have to relist again) so they can send the item via USPS. I can vividy recall the words of three sellers. One said something like ... "Gosh, I didn't even know that the item was going via GSP. I'll change it now".

So vivid...you have to paraphrase!

Apart from those three, another seller who had some items via GSP and others not GSP had no idea what GSP was. No dummy by any means, he was a seasoned seller too.

Given that GSP is a buyer-facing service, that's not surprising.  When a buyer pays me money via PayPal, I don't know whether the source was an actual PayPal balance, a direct debit from the buyer's bank account, or their credit card.

Unkkown to Tom Selller / Suzie Seller, the auction has somehow defaulted to the Pitney Bowes Global Shipping Program.

Unknown to the seller, they've gained an international customer base that only requires them to make a domestic shipment.

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Unkkown to Tom Selller / Suzie Seller, the auction has somehow defaulted to the Pitney Bowes Global Shipping Program

@tazzieterror wrote:

Unknown to the seller, they've gained an international customer base that only requires them to make a domestic shipment.

I disagree with what you've said here. In the long run they lose as GSP frightens a lot of overseas customers away. And the problems that arise with GSP often makes for a wasted excercise.

Anyway, many sellers intend selling oversas but they don't always set the shipping prices set properly.

With today's shipping cost of buying overseas being the way it is, potential buyers often look to buy multiple items from a seller to get better vaue out of the deal. When they find they can't have combined items unless Tom Seller or Suzie seller relists the auctions, they'll move on and look for someone else that had user friendly auctions or sales.

Multiple times I have heard from selllers who have said their sales profits have gone up when they've ditched the GSP.

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

I disagree with what you've said here. In the long run they lose as GSP frightens a lot of overseas customers away. And the problems that arise with GSP often makes for a wasted excercise.

Says who? You and the four overseas sellers you've communicated with?

SPECULATIVE NONSENSE REMOVED ]

Multiple times I have heard from selllers who have said their sales profits have gone up when they've ditched the GSP.

Wow, sounds like you've conducted extensive research - nothing like hearing something *multiple times* to reach a statistically significant conclusion. As always, eBay know the figures and what makes them money, while you have nothing but your opinion.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

I have a background in sales and I have an actual idea of how it works.

Ahhh to hell with it. You win. I'm tired, it's late and have better things to do so you can have this one. I give up! *SIGH*

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

I love Global Shipping. A few years back, I bought a microscope from the US. A bit under 9kg packed. It cost me $69 for postage via GSP. I had a look at the USPS site, and had the seller been only sending via USPS, it would have cost me around $180. My microscope arrived in 7 calendar days.

As long as the sellers add the weight and dimensions in their listing, GSP is vey comparable. Yes, it's dearer, but only by a few dollars. Sadly, a lot of sellers in the US don't add those details.

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply