I posted negative fedback due to a faulty item and the seller cancelled the purchase

I bought and paid for a mechanical part for a vehicle, picked it up and fitted it. The part was leaking engine oil into the cooling system. As a mechanic trying to save an elderly woman some money, I tried 3 time to seal the leaks in this faulty part. Ended up having to buy genuine parts to fix this issue.

So I contacted the seller via EBay messages and explained what had happened and how I tried everything to rectify the issue. After providing all the vehicle details to confirm this part was made to fit this vehicle, the seller requested photos or videos showing the leaks each time it happened. So that the Seller could get compensation from the makers.

I explained that all the customer wanted was to get her car back and it had taken 3 days so far and that no photos were taken at the time. I explained that their compensation was not my concern and requested a full refund or I would contact EBay and take it further. I then posted negative feedback explaining what had happened.

Their next step was to cancel the order, which removed my negative feedback and gave me a refund.

Surely that's not right?
Surely it's not helping others before they waste their money on faulty items?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I posted negative fedback due to a faulty item and the seller cancelled the purchase

No, it is not helping others to have your feedback removed but a cancellation is helping you and your friend because you got your money back. That is the main thing.

If anyone else happens to buy a faulty part, they should follow through as you have done and contact the seller or make an ebay claim. That is as effective as anything else.

A lot of buyers don't read feedback anyway or may not take notice of one neg. 

Focus on the main thing-you got a full refund.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

No, it is not helping others to have your feedback removed but a cancellation is helping you and your friend because you got your money back. That is the main thing.

If anyone else happens to buy a faulty part, they should follow through as you have done and contact the seller or make an ebay claim. That is as effective as anything else.

A lot of buyers don't read feedback anyway or may not take notice of one neg. 

Focus on the main thing-you got a full refund.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

??

Your negative feedback for that seller is still there.

Having received a full refund from the seller, the right thing for you to do is leave follow-up feedback stating that.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

There is a neg there that you've left that seems to relate to the product you bought.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

So has this happened more than once, or did you get the neg re-instated?

Matching neg feedback is very much there

But given the seller already has a lot of negs, which were obviously ignored, I am not sure what makes *this* one so special that it will prevent others choosing to buy from this seller anyway

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Do you mean this feedback? ๐Ÿ˜‰

171F2ED1-ED8E-4B92-B9BC-A2F878832C3B.jpeg

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

If you look at the Feedback ratios from this seller, they have 832 positive, 9 neutral and 10 negative in the last month.  Even better ratios if you look at 12 months. That to me is a more than positive feedback profile and one that should give trust to the buyer.

However if they cancel orders and refund the money for whatever reason, is their negative feedback profile really that accurate?

That is my main complaint. The sellers feedback is not accurate and EBay needs to look into that aspect. But we all know that won't happen.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

You stated your neg had been removed when it had'nt

The ratios do not negate the fact the seller has more than enough red dots to warn people there are big issues buying from them but they buy anyway

Of course eBay won't look at it

Buyers CAN and choose to make informed choices about who the are buying from

It's all there to read in black and white

Buyers ignore it, buy anyway, keeping the seller in business

So many comments warning about the products, the service, the slowness, the seller making excuses . it goes on

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@painworlder wrote:

The sellers feedback is not accurate 

The feedback is entirely accurate according to the positives, neutrals & negatives.

As sandy said there were plenty of warnings.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@painworlder wrote:

If you look at the Feedback ratios from this seller, they have 832 positive, 9 neutral and 10 negative in the last month.  Even better ratios if you look at 12 months. That to me is a more than positive feedback profile and one that should give trust to the buyer.

However if they cancel orders and refund the money for whatever reason, is their negative feedback profile really that accurate?

That is my main complaint. The sellers feedback is not accurate and EBay needs to look into that aspect. But we all know that won't happen.

I think if they cancel too many orders, their account can be affected. That is, if the cancellation is their fault.

The thing is, this is a large volume seller so a few cancellations here and there will probably amount to a very small % of sales.

I agree with you that a score of 99.3% positive feedback does look perfectly reasonable.

There are a lot of happy buyers. So I think the feedback is accurate and to give a lot of buyers their due, those who gave negs usually gave exact, factual reasons, which is helpful.

When I check out feedback, I tend to go straight to the negs and neutrals to see if there is a pattern or if there is feedback for the actual item I am buying. This seller has thousands of listings in different categories, so it does make it hard, but from the negs, I got the impression that any part that needed exact fitting might be a problem and customer service wasn't great if you did run into problems.

That wouldn't necessarily stop me buying either. I've bought from plenty of sellers with less than perfect feedback.

Getting your money back is the most important thing you can do as if it happens enough to that seller, he may stop stocking that item.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply