I purchased a 18 ct gold item $500 went to process it and it dissolved in test solution no refund

a1111c
Community Member

seller claimed it was tested i asked for test results no answer ebaytold me to work it out with the seller and canceled my claim and he raised a counter claim and one the case because i could not return it in sold condition he never supplied a test document ebay ignored my claim completely 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I purchased a 18 ct gold item $500 went to process it and it dissolved in test solution no refund

YES YOUR CORRECT IT WAS MARCASITE  NOT GOLD AS HE CLAIMED 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

What are you trying to claim for? What do you mean it dissolved in the test solution? If it's dissolved, then it would be hard to return it. More info is needed I think.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

can you put marcasite in a test solution?
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Seller gave enough photos, but none of any gold marking.

Don't know why you'd believe what a seller says, let alone spend $500, without

actually seeing a hallmark of some kind.

JMO

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Presumably it's the one you left the neg for, alarm bells should have been ringing for you - there's no hallmark and the metal doesn't even look remotely like gold so I can't work out why you didn't just test a small piece of it for gold purity after searching fo a hallmark............

Looking at the sellers other current and completed listing I see that in a few cases the listings show what looks like silver articles mixed in with gold ones, and no sign of hallmarks.

Caveat Emptor, lesson learned I guess.

EDIT. Snap Stawks.      original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@a1111c wrote:

seller claimed it was tested i asked for test results no answer ebaytold me to work it out with the seller and canceled my claim and he raised a counter claim and one the case because i could not return it in sold condition he never supplied a test document ebay ignored my claim completely 

You still have the option of trying a PayPal claim, presuming you used PayPal to pay - I can't say whether you would fare any better than the eBay dispute, it will most likely depend on what has actually happened to the item in question (despite the wording of your OP, I'm having difficulty imagining the entire piece just dissolving away in a solution designed to test metal for being gold, not least because you'd generally only test a small non-visible part). 

Perhaps simply taking the item to a well-recognised jeweller and asking them to assess the metal with certification will be enough. 

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

13.2 grams of 18k gold is 10 grams pure.

At $500 for the brooch, that's $800 per ounce, way under the current gold price.

The seller lives in Canberra. There are at least 2 precious metal buyers that I know of in the city. Probably more.

If it was me, and it was real gold, I'd be spending the time and fuel to get the extra many hundred dollars for scrap value myself. Which might be an indicator of the reliability of the seller.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

YES YOUR CORRECT IT WAS MARCASITE  NOT GOLD AS HE CLAIMED 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Marcasite is a stone.....it needs to be set in some sort of metal.   Your brooch could still be gold.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply