I "bought" an item?

I entered my Ebay account for the first time for a couple of days to discover that I'd "purchased" a $100 itunes gift card from the US. There is no way I would have done this, as I have no desire for this item and have never EVER searched for it? I don't understand how this item can just turn up in my "purchased" items? Help anyone?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I "bought" an item?

Oh and to add onto that, all my confirmed purchases are sent to my email immediately. This however, has not sent an email to my account notifying me of my purchase... I am absolutely bewildered.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

I "bought" an item?

Did you leave yourself logged in & a family member/housemate has purchased? Or do you use a computer in a library,internet cafe,work environment etc?

If none of the above is applicable,strongly suggest you go to Live Help as your account may have been hacked.If so,you need to change all your passwords now.

If you use the same password for Paypal,I'd be checking that also to see if any funds withdrawn.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

I "bought" an item?

I entered my Ebay account for the first time for a couple of days to discover that I'd "purchased" a $100 itunes gift card from the US.

yep . . . I looked at your biiding history and it shows as purchased at around 5.15pm on Tuesday.  Anyone at home at that time?  Anybody else know your eBay password?  Hubby, wife, child, sister, mother?  Would anyone have had access to your computer around that time?  Do you have to type in your password each time you log into eBay or have you set it to "remember this password"?

Another line to pursue is whether you have received emails recently requesting you log in via a link in the email.  These scam emails take you to an official looking page when you click the link, but what they really do is log your keystrokes to get your login and passwords.  I'd be changing ALL my passwords immediately as a precaution.  That's eBay, PayPal, email, bank . . . . ALL of them!

I "bought" an item?

Either somebody used your computer to purchase it or your account has been hacked, either way as there is no Paypal protection for those items I would not give you the usual advise when somebody else buys on a member's account without their knowledge which is to pay up and re sell if you don't want it. I would contact ebay by phone and ask them to check that your account has not been hi-jacked, if it has they will cancel the transaction, if it hasn't and somebody you know has used your account I would just email the seller and ask if they will send a mutual cancellation request as the purchase was made in error, if they won't the worst that will happen is you will get an unpaid item strike which will have absolutely no effect unless you get another within 12 months.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

I "bought" an item?

The seller immediately withdrew the purchase as soon as I emailed them. Very strange occurrence, definitely changing my password to avoid it happening again... Thanks for everyone's help ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

I "bought" an item?

Another question, do I leave this guy feedback or since the transaction was cancelled, there is no obligation?

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

I "bought" an item?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Why would you leave feedback?  That is as good as admitting you did buy it and the seller would be within his rights to ask you to pay for it.

Just be thankful that the seller issued a mutual cancellation.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

I "bought" an item?

There have been several people coming with the same story - lady with the bed, only few days ago. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I "bought" an item?

Happened to me big time 18 months ago. Only it was for a $2000 laptop from US going to Indonesia. My PayPal had been hacked. Money taken immediately out of my linked bank account. It took nearly two months to get the money back too

I am a very experienced ebayer & I did not click on any links. Been around far too long to be caught with that! I noticed the transaction immediately as I log onto PP a couple of times a day. I notified everyone - PP, bank, ebay & still the money transaction went through

It was a very stressful time

Good advice...change all passwords immediately

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply