I received a partial refund from seller, but less than what seller had agreed to.

Hello everyone.

I made a purchase a few weeks ago for an electronic item.

It arrived today. When I opened the satchel, the retail box was saturated with water and almost like mulch. The item was still in good nic. But then I noticed the item was a lot smaller in size than expected. And then I looked at some of the specs on the box, and found it was different to that of the manufacturers website. Then I smelt a rat, and investigated further, and found the item was a fake, or counterfeited brand name. So, I pointed all of this out to the seller. After many eBay messages back and forth, I then get a message saying that they would be happy to refund me a 20% re-imbursement. I agreed to this, as I did not wish to rely on a dodgy seller refunding me in full, if I had to send it back, they would find some excuse to get out of a full refund. So then they processed the refund, but considerably less than 20% as agreed to. I have sent another message off, saying that the amount refunded is not what was agreed to.

How can I dispute my claim of refund with eBay. I do not see any provision for doing so. I dont even know if eBay will intervene. I mean to say, what the seller is doing, is totally wrong and against eBay policy, in selling an item to represent as being a top electronic manufacturer branded name. 

Cheers David. 

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I received a partial refund from seller, but less than what seller had agreed to.

It is not a trap

The item number is allowed, by forum rules to be posted

And all we get by looking at it is the seller's eBay username, no other details

Obviously there is no point though, since you have made your mind up and only want to be told what you want to hear

In which case, best keep trying eBay help, as that is exactly what CS staff are told to do

99% of the time it is not accurate information given by them  but good when people do not actually want real help

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

You should never have agreed to a partial refund in the first place. Under eBay's MBG you would have been fully covered for "Item not as described" and got all your money back.

If it's not too late to do so try opening a dispute with them ASAP. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 71
Latest reply

Why, oh why, did you agree to even a cent less than the full amount?

Under eBay’s MBG, you are entitled to a full refund. The seller would have had no choice. However, because you have agreed to the seller’s ridiculous offer, you have nullified your right to be fully reimbursed.

Not only that, but the electronic item is almost certainly not to Australian specifications or meeting Australian safety standards. You should discard the item entirely.

You could try contacting eBay Live Chat but they’ll only be able - at this point, after your agreement to be ripped off by the seller - to enforce the remainder of the promised refund.

You can’t get a PayPal refund as you’ve already received an eBay refund, irrespective of its being a partial one.

You may possibly be able to get your card issuer/bank to do a chargeback but this might put you in poor odour with eBay, who may well consider it double-dipping.

Frankly, you’ve shot yourself in the foot here. I think perhaps the best advice I can offer is - NEVER let this happen to you again! And don’t buy electrical/electronic items from Chinese eBay sellers. And don’t use this item, whatever it is. You’d be risking your house, your property, your life, and the safety of anyone else in your vicinity.

Message 3 of 71
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Under eBay’s MBG, you are entitled to a full refund. The seller would have had no choice. However, because you have agreed to the seller’s ridiculous offer, you have nullified your right to be fully reimbursed.

There was a very similar case a while back Countess and eBay made a discretionary payment to the buyer, after the buyer was able to show from the emails that the seller didn't honour their agreement.

So probably worth having a stab at an MBG case.

Fully agree with you on using the item - especially after it arrived with wet packaging.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 71
Latest reply

Padi*0409. Thanks for your input. But considering the time it would take to get a refund, it could have taken a month or so. And I needed this item for within 2 weeks time. Even if I went to try and buy another, I would be lucky to be able to get one within 2 weeks or less. And as the seller is ripping people off fraudulently, I could have sent it back, and then the seller made some feeble excuse to why the item is then not deserving a refund. I just dont TRUST the seller. Therefor a partial refund was the quickest and best option out. What **bleep** me off, is that there are heaps of sellers out there selling counterfeit items on eBay, and eBay allow their listings. SORRY NOT GOOD ENOUGH by eBay. 

Message 5 of 71
Latest reply

As I have just explained to Padi*0409 as to why I accepted the offer. 

Considering the time it would take to get a refund, it could have taken a month or so. And I needed this item for within 2 weeks time. Even if I went to try and buy another, I would be lucky to be able to get one within 2 weeks or less. And as the seller is ripping people off fraudulently, I could have sent it back, and then the seller made some feeble excuse to why the item is then not deserving a refund. I just dont TRUST the seller. Therefore a partial refund was the quickest and best option out. I still dont wish to go down the option of a full refund, UNLESS I really had to. The item will work in Australia, as it is a rechargeable battery item and is not mains powered in ANY way at all. 

Message 6 of 71
Latest reply

It is suppose to be a waterproof item, by the manufacturer, able to be submersed in water to 1 metre deep for up to 30 minutes at a time. So, that is why I didnt think this was any concern. And I have charged it and tried to see if everything all works as it should and it does. 

Message 7 of 71
Latest reply

My whole issue, is I just want to be able to get the balance of the AGREED to refund. And I dont see any process for this.  The seller has relinquished on what he agreed to. 

Message 8 of 71
Latest reply

Just wondering if the offer was  20% of total invoice, or  20% of invoice less postage.  Was an actual $ value stated

Message 9 of 71
Latest reply

You can't get the rest of the promised refund. I can only assume it was a Chinese seller, because they are renowned for this.

As for the seller trying to pull a swifty to not refund at all, if you'd opened a dispute for not as described, and the seller refused a refund, you ask ebay to step in and help and they force the refund. Then the seller also gets a defect on their account for their refusal. It's out of the seller's hands.

Given this item was probably sent from China, I still wouldn't be using it regardless of it being battery powered. It can still burn your house down. It could happen while charging it, or the batteries could explode while in use.

If you don't want to help yourself, that's your choice. We can't force you. Same as ebay can't force the seller to refund the difference you were promised.

Message 10 of 71
Latest reply