I received a partial refund from seller, but less than what seller had agreed to.

Hello everyone.

I made a purchase a few weeks ago for an electronic item.

It arrived today. When I opened the satchel, the retail box was saturated with water and almost like mulch. The item was still in good nic. But then I noticed the item was a lot smaller in size than expected. And then I looked at some of the specs on the box, and found it was different to that of the manufacturers website. Then I smelt a rat, and investigated further, and found the item was a fake, or counterfeited brand name. So, I pointed all of this out to the seller. After many eBay messages back and forth, I then get a message saying that they would be happy to refund me a 20% re-imbursement. I agreed to this, as I did not wish to rely on a dodgy seller refunding me in full, if I had to send it back, they would find some excuse to get out of a full refund. So then they processed the refund, but considerably less than 20% as agreed to. I have sent another message off, saying that the amount refunded is not what was agreed to.

How can I dispute my claim of refund with eBay. I do not see any provision for doing so. I dont even know if eBay will intervene. I mean to say, what the seller is doing, is totally wrong and against eBay policy, in selling an item to represent as being a top electronic manufacturer branded name. 

Cheers David. 

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

I received a partial refund from seller, but less than what seller had agreed to.

@amethystelectra26 wrote:

My whole issue, is I just want to be able to get the balance of the AGREED to refund. And I dont see any process for this.  The seller has reneged on what he agreed to. 

The only way that's going to happen is if you get eBay involved through the MBG process.

In reality to get these sellers to stop ripping people off is to use ALL the tools that eBay gives you as a buyer. Including the MBG, complaints to eBay about the seller and using feedback to let others know - but be careful what you write in feedback or the seller will have it removed.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/report-issue-seller?id=4022

Edit. G'day S&D and GP.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 71
Latest reply

The item included free postage. So if a seller is going to say 20% off the price paid, then it has to be the price paid. The seller then cant say well the item is worth less than what paid. If going to do this, they should have quoted a dollar amount of refund not a percentage. 

Message 12 of 71
Latest reply

The item was sent from NSW not China.  The item is not being used inside the home but outside in open air. And it is being charged from a solar battery supply. So there are no real safety issues here for me. Its why, I was happy to keep the product. But I needed compensation for it in ot having a carton in good condition, and also for being branded with a name that it isnt, and being off different specifications to the branded item. 

Message 13 of 71
Latest reply

But then I have to wait maybe about a month or so before I get a refund, which is ridiculous. And the seller can make some silly excuse as to why not to refund, as like saying well the item arrived damaged. And then the seller has my item and my money.

And you have to remember, the item doesnt have packaging now as in a carton. And the item came with no protective packaging. The cost to return it safely would be a huge amount more than what it cost them to post to me. As it really needs an Australia Post mailer box and plenty of bubble wrap. And then the size of the package would be bigger than how I received it, making post cost dearer as well.  And no way is the seller going to be willing to pay for packaging materials plus dearer postage. If I send it back just in a satchel, it is more than likely to arrive damaged anyhow and I would not then get my refund.

I had agreed to the seller not leave feedback of any kind, if he gave me the 20 per cent partial refund. And finally, I did not know that a seller can remove feedback received.......this is unfair, it should only be buyer or eBay that can remove the sellers feedback. So there you go, what is the point in leaving feedback. 

Message 14 of 71
Latest reply

@amethystelectra26 wrote:

But then I have to wait maybe about a month or so before I get a refund, which is ridiculous. And the seller can make some silly excuse as to why not to refund, as like saying well the item arrived damaged. And then the seller has my item and my money.

The MBG includes damage during transit, so the seller wouldn't be able to use it as an excuse:

eBay Money Back Guarantee policy | eBay

Message 15 of 71
Latest reply

NSW by way of China. (Logistics company’s warehouses.) Check the tag “just in time fulfilment” on these boards.)

You’re arguing about the safety of a fake item produced with the cheapest possible components made from the cheapest possible raw materials - not from components made to spec of the required raw materials. Connection to mains is only one possible issue. The real problem is safety of the stuff “under the hood.”

This may sound harsh - but in the face of it, judging by what you are saying, you don’t value your life and safety - or the life and safety of your family - as much as the price difference between buying an authorised electrical item that has passed Australian safety standards. Any damage that arises will not be covered by your insurance. All of your concern is based upon a few dollars (not even full price of the fake item)…

I really urge you to think of this from the wider view. 

Just how much are you actually out of pocket? If this item cost you a few hundred dollars, I wonder if you could argue that you just weren’t really sure that you would be entitled to full refund. Get onto Live Chat and explain … and push for full refund. 

I hope that you will get the right outcome.

Message 16 of 71
Latest reply

A huge amount of our electronics come from China today. I dont have an issue with this. If you did not know this, then you probably need to have a look around your home.

This is not being used on me personally, it isnt going to be used inside a home, it isnt being charged from a home power supply. There are NO safety issues or concern. And as to Australian Safety Standards. Well there are no Australia safety standards for this item. The item was just under $90. 

What annoys me, that I chose to buy the item as it had the brand name attached to it. I could have brought an unbranded item, and if I did, the pricing would have been cheaper and saved me $$$$. And an unbranded item would have been okay in this respect. But I am not happy having paid the price and find out it is a fake. 

Message 17 of 71
Latest reply

Many items are made in China these days. This is true, but when it is major companies that have their items made in China (because it is cheaper for them) it is different because they have to comply with safety standards, while unbranded items made in China can indeed be dangerous.

Message 18 of 71
Latest reply

But there are no safety standards on a lot of electrical smalls.  I know this, as I am a retired electrical retailer, and my father a electronics technician. You probably need to be worrying about the car that you drive. As a lot of modern cars have electronic components in them made in China. And yes they do sometimes fail. I am not prepared to put down Chinese products as we need them, as they are the largest manufacturer of everything we consume. Anyhow I think we are getting away from my issue. I dont need advice from what I do, or not do with my purchase. It was about getting the refund that they agreed to. 

Message 19 of 71
Latest reply

Just as a matter of interest - how much short of the 20% offered did you not receive. ??

Message 20 of 71
Latest reply