I want to know where the item is manufactured BEFORE I buy it.

I prefer to buy from Australian sellers, only to find out they are not really Australian at all.

Regardless of this, I want to know where the item is MANUFACTURED or MADE IN before I buy it.

I am tired of receiving something shipped from an Australian supplier, from an Australian location, only to see the actual product wrapped in plastic and displaying a label saying "made in EU/PRC/Thailand/China/USA etc"

It is grossly misleading, false advertising

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Does the listing state the item is made in Australia ?

If not, how is it grossy misleading? 

Or do you believe sellers who are in Australia should only ever list items that are also made in Australia ?

As it is so important, why are you not asking the seller where it is made before you buy?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

It isn't false advertising unless the listing states "Made in Australia".

Like you, I prefer to buy from Australian sellers, and I would love to see more high-quality manufacturing in Australia. There are companies and shops in Australia that do sell Australian-made products (although it may not be the case for every single item that they sell); we as buyers should check the product details / specifications to see if the country of manufacture is shown. If it isn't, one can always phone the company and ask.

If an eBay seller doesn't have an established Australian business presence, complete with ABN and physical location, it is (for some categories of item) unlikely that the seller is selling Australian-made products, although there are always exceptions.

Don't forget, too, that many high-quality items are actually manufactured in China, but it is done to the company's specifications, using the components specified, the raw materials specified, etc., to Australian standards, subject to quality control.

This is in stark contrast to the made-as-cheaply-as-possible-of-cheapest-inferior-components-without-any-quality-control-and-with-indifference-to-actual-specs unbranded stuff knocked up in Chinese factories for direct sale to Australian suppliers who aren't as particular as they should be, and to Australian buyers whose only criterion appears to be how cheap it is.

I won't beleaguer the point any more than that.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

...just Google the manufacturing details
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

So few items you buy from any Australian shop is manufactured in Australia so I am puzzled as to why you would think that Australian sellers here would be selling Australian made products.

If you want Australian made products you will have to look up websites that specifically sell those kinds of products.

Latest reply

The absolute vast majority of items are made in China or countries other than Australia.

Personally, as a seller of handmade items, my stuff is definitely made by me in Australia, but without a doubt, the fabric itself comes from overseas makers in India, China, Pakistan etc. I don't think I've ever found fabric made in Australia in the 6 years I've had my shop.

Even when going into a physical store, a glance at any item shows the vast majority are made in China.

Kmart is a prime example of this - items are super cheap because of where they're made.

Australian companies have also outsourced their manufacturing a great deal - I was looking to buy good brushes for painting some furniture and found an Australian company that looked promising. Went into Bunnings to get some, and found they are made in....China.

It can be quite hard to find local companies that manufacture domestically, depending on which niche you need items for.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Did you consider Hakuhodo brushes, jellybirddesigns? They are amazing!

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply