Import Charges

I live in Australia, I just bought a small part on ebay that was located in the US. The item was US$14 and freight was US$13.89, so total is $27.89. Then there is a charge for $6.75 for import charges. 

The item is very small, it would be around $5.00 to post it, with GST being 10%, no idea how the charges have blow out so much.

I really need the part, so I am screwed, but I am considering deleting my ebay account in protest to the ongoing rip off and un justified charges. Going back it was a great place to buy at great prices, now it is a giant rip off.

Ive set up a fowarding account and will use this and buy diect.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Import Charges

If you had paid attention at the time, you would have found the item was being sent using the Global Shipping Program. This is an expensive third-party logistics service, without which a lot of US sellers would not post overseas.

The GSP charges for their services, adds the GST due to the Australian government for all eBay imports, and adds GST for their services.

$5? US or AU. That's about $3 US which I doubt any postage half way around the world would go for.

And if you use a freight forwarder, you will probably still get hit with GST on the full transaction amount.

Ps: the total transaction pre-import charges was circa $A40, so $4 of the $6.75 is GST for starters.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Import Charges

@shinkmyster wrote:

I live in Australia, I just bought a small part on ebay that was located in the US. The item was US$14 and freight was US$13.89, so total is $27.89. Then there is a charge for $6.75 for import charges. 

The item is very small, it would be around $5.00 to post it, with GST being 10%, no idea how the charges have blow out so much.

I really need the part, so I am screwed, but I am considering deleting my ebay account in protest to the ongoing rip off and un justified charges. Going back it was a great place to buy at great prices, now it is a giant rip off.

Yes shinkmyster, going back it was good in those days I could buy a DVD movie cheaper than what I could in the stores.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Import Charges

@davewil1964 wrote:

If you had paid attention at the time, you would have found the item was being sent using the Global Shipping Program. This is an expensive third-party logistics service, without which a lot of US sellers would not post overseas.

While it may be true that some sellers would not post overseas, I would say that it would be in the minority.

I easily have had over 600 transactions on ebay and most of them as a buyer of overseas stuff since joining up over 15 years ago. I struggle to remember a time where I came across a seller who wasn't willing to sell overseas. Most of them say ... "Oh sure, just give a bit of time and I'll work out the prices for you" or "I'll send you an invoice for the total". From memory, maybe a couple. I had a friend who bought an item from a lady 10 years ago who was too nervous to send overseas. She cancelled the transaction So maybe 3 people plus her in over 15 years. Possibly one more who was worried about sending a fragile item.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Import Charges

I have had countless US sellers say they refuse to post overseas. They didn't want the risk and the potential headaches that can go with it. I would send a message with something like "I can see in your description that you only post to the US, however I was wondering if you would consider posting to Australia? Of course you would need to charge the appropriate postage post sale". So many said no. None were rude about it, they didn't want the risks. I respected their decision.

Then the GSP came along, where sellers were opted into it without their knowledge, and I was suddenly able to buy these items that were previously blocked from me. A whole new world opened up to me!

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Import Charges

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I have had countless US sellers say they refuse to post overseas. They didn't want the risk and the potential headaches that can go with it. I would send a message with something like "I can see in your description that you only post to the US, however I was wondering if you would consider posting to Australia? Of course you would need to charge the appropriate postage post sale". So many said no. None were rude about it, they didn't want the risks. I respected their decision.

Then the GSP came along, where sellers were opted into it without their knowledge, and I was suddenly able to buy these items that were previously blocked from me. A whole new world opened up to me!

Hmm, sorry to hear that you haven't had the success that I have had. Not sure why that happened to you and not me. Possibly could be the type of items that you were wanting to buy were more fragile maybe?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Import Charges

Records, video tapes and matchbox cars. Post GSP arrival, I would ask the seller if they would please add the weight and dimensions to the listings, which most did willingly. That brought the cost down to only a dollar or 2 more than USPS. If I wanted more than one item, I would ask them if they would mind revising a listing to add all the items, insert the appropriate weight and dimensions, so I could combine post. Most were happy to do so, especially if I was buying 10 or 20 items. 

Then I bought a large, heavy item from the US. I saw the GSP price of $AU69 and nearly puked. Then I checked what it would cost via USPS and it was going to be around $AU150. I gladly paid the $69! My microscope arrived in 7 calendar days, completely intact.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Import Charges

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@shinkmyster wrote:

You will not avoid the GST by using a freight forwarder......they all have to charge GST on the full cost of the transaction.

All you might save is a few $$$ on the shipping costs over what the GSP is charging.   They have never had a reputatiion for being cheap, even before the GST was involved.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Import Charges

@4channel wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

While it may be true that some sellers would not post overseas, I would say that it would be in the minority.

I easily have had over 600 transactions on ebay and most of them as a buyer of overseas stuff since joining up over 15 years ago. I struggle to remember a time where I came across a seller who wasn't willing to sell overseas. Most of them say ... "Oh sure, just give a bit of time and I'll work out the prices for you" or "I'll send you an invoice for the total". From memory, maybe a couple. I had a friend who bought an item from a lady 10 years ago who was too nervous to send overseas. She cancelled the transaction So maybe 3 people plus her in over 15 years. Possibly one more who was worried about sending a fragile item.

That's interesting.

I recall you mentioning, on more than one occasion (as is your wont), that you don't contact sellers to find out if they will use a cheaper postage method because they will know you're interested and will up the price.

Or was that fact light as well?

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Import Charges

I could point out more contradictions but won't bother. Suffice to say that in 15 years things have changed a LOT, especially since the MBG came into force. I used to buy a LOT of items from the UK and US but the sellers who are now prepared to post those items overseas are few and far between. Blame the scammers for sellers not wanting to take the risk of posting overseas, not ebay, Pitney Bowes, the seller, or anyone else. Lots of Aussie sellers (myself included) won't risk posting overseas so we can't blame others for not doing it.
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply