Import Charges

I live in Australia, I just bought a small part on ebay that was located in the US. The item was US$14 and freight was US$13.89, so total is $27.89. Then there is a charge for $6.75 for import charges. 

The item is very small, it would be around $5.00 to post it, with GST being 10%, no idea how the charges have blow out so much.

I really need the part, so I am screwed, but I am considering deleting my ebay account in protest to the ongoing rip off and un justified charges. Going back it was a great place to buy at great prices, now it is a giant rip off.

Ive set up a fowarding account and will use this and buy diect.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Import Charges

@davewil1964 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

If you had paid attention at the time, you would have found the item was being sent using the Global Shipping Program. This is an expensive third-party logistics service, without which a lot of US sellers would not post overseas.

While it may be true that some sellers would not post overseas, I would say that it would be in the minority.

I easily have had over 600 transactions on ebay and most of them as a buyer of overseas stuff since joining up over 15 years ago. I struggle to remember a time where I came across a seller who wasn't willing to sell overseas. Most of them say ... "Oh sure, just give a bit of time and I'll work out the prices for you" or "I'll send you an invoice for the total". From memory, maybe a couple. I had a friend who bought an item from a lady 10 years ago who was too nervous to send overseas. She cancelled the transaction So maybe 3 people plus her in over 15 years. Possibly one more who was worried about sending a fragile item.

That's interesting.

I recall you mentioning, on more than one occasion (as is your wont), that you don't contact sellers to find out if they will use a cheaper postage method because they will know you're interested and will up the price.

Or was that fact light as well?

An attack on me as well as totally incorrect. You know very well what I meant!

I'll say it here again. I contact sellers to get better price for shipping. I always do it politely. I ask if they could please change the auction settings to relist as USPS . Most are happy to so.

The only thing that I have said .....  which you very well know,  is that I consider GSP a hinderance when a seller has best offer and if I contact them to ask to please change the listing to USPS, that indicates In have a "better than passing"interest in the item for sale and the seller may hold out for more money.I still consider contacting a seller to change a listing that has a "Best Offer" option lessens my bargaining power.

But hey if twisting things around makes you feel good, then go for it.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Import Charges

Your logic is severely lacking if you think that asking about cheaper postage is going to make them hold out for a higher price than they otherwise would.  If you were willing to pay any price you wouldn't be asking for cheaper postage, so they'd immediately know you aren't going to "buy it at any price".

The moment you make an offer they know you have more than a passing interest (unless it's a ridiculously low offer) so what's the difference between that and asking about cheaper postage?  Either way you still have to bargain to get to a final price.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

Import Charges

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

Your logic is severely lacking if you think that asking about cheaper postage is going to make them hold out for a higher price than they otherwise would.  If you were willing to pay any price you wouldn't be asking for cheaper postage, so they'd immediately know you aren't going to "buy it at any price".

The moment you make an offer they know you have more than a passing interest (unless it's a ridiculously low offer) so what's the difference between that and asking about cheaper postage?  Either way you still have to bargain to get to a final price.

I have worked in sales in the past. I know how people are and more often than not I know when and when not to say yes. I've been involved in some good bartering sessions and sometimes it is like playing poker! I also have observed some masters at this game too. When I want something I weigh up a couple of factors. When will I come across it again? Will I ever come across it again?  A lot of seasoned sellers know the mindset of buyers. They also know that they can sell it today and make some money or hang on to it for a long time and keep re-listing. Some items I have not bought are still for sale an year or more later.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply