Imported Vehicle radiators

Leaking radiators  have been brought up now and then on this forum but worth mentioning again. Have purchased two new cheap imported radiators for a commodore V6 ute.  First one lasted around 12 months and the second last 7 months. My brother had the same experience with his cheap radiator as well purchased off Ebay. From what I can work out, the plastic tank walls are too thin  so over time they swell ( due to heat and pressure) then leak from the sealing ring. Also the sellers so called 12 months warranty means nothing.

So if the price looks too good to be true then it probably is, so steer clear and buy a quality unit. It may cost you two or three times more but whats the price of cooking your motor when your cheap radiator lets go.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It took 3 radiators for you guys to realise that you get what you pay for?

Why would you even purchase something like this from Ebay as there are no warranties?

How would you expect an overseas supplier (probably in China) to 'honour" a warranty?

Buying cheap ends up expensive.

Buying anything that should have a warranty is always better to purchase direct for a few extra $$ from a shop or a reputable online retailer, never through a random ebay seller.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Mate. These were purchased in Australia from Australian sellers.Stated on  the sellers ad it had 12 month warranty. First rad was outside warranty and thought, ok, maybe a one of dud, the second I  asked re warranty  after the failure but received no reply.  Cost more to post back anyway than it was worth.

Brothers rad was his problem but had same outcome. Leaking after 12 months

Obviously this wasnt posted for your benefit  Jellybirddesigns , but am hoping what I had to say may help others in need of a rad,  not making the same mistake.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Buying from an Australian seller on Ebay is meaningless unless they are an authorised distributor. Anyone in the world can put "warranty" information on a listing. You have zero guarantee of quality.

Why would you post anything back at your expense? The only time you incur a postage cost is if you change your mind about an item. If the item is not as described, the seller needs to supply a postage label or funds if they want it back.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Mate, it does not matter a dot, if they are not authorised there is no warranty. End of story

It does not matter what the ad said

If you really want to help others, then don't lead them to believe if they buy from a seller in Australia ,that means they get a warranty or if an ad 'says' something it is a fact

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

So how do you work out who is 'Authorised'?? What does 'authorised even mean on Ebay??

Authorised to sell radiators??? How does that work??

All I see is this and I quote.

We are professional sellers with many years of successful business experience. Our goal is to provide the most sensational products and exceptional customer service. 

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I couldn't be bothered looking further, but the last guy you bought a radiator from was based in China.

Don't care what his 'ads' say.   That's where it was made and came from.

Check their feedback page and it will tell you where they are based.

Maaate

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@tims1959 wrote:

So how do you work out who is 'Authorised'?? What does 'authorised even mean on Ebay??

Authorised to sell radiators??? How does that work??

All I see is this and I quote.

We are professional sellers with many years of successful business experience. Our goal is to provide the most sensational products and exceptional customer service. 

Work on the assumption that there are NO Ebay sellers who can offer a warranty and you'll be better off financially for it. Whilst there are a few big box stores who also run Ebay shops, the vast, vast majority of sellers simply do not offer one, irregardless of what they put in their listing. Their wording is meant to be enticing and lull you into a false sense of belief.

One way you can protect yourself is to be really diligent. As another forums user says, looking at where a seller is REGISTERED (not item location), is a starting point.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

tims1959, 

I appreciate the intention of your post. You wanted to give a warning and you have clearly learned something from your own experience.

The other posters here are pointing out that it’s even worse than you concluded. The seller isn’t Australian, but you probably concluded that he was from the “Item location” information in the listing.

To find out if a radiator seller is authorised, look at the brand and then check with the Australian distributor or the manufacturer to see whether a seller is acknowledged as an authorised dealer for that brand.

If the Brand item specific says unbranded, you will know enough. Not made of the correct components, cheapest possible raw materials  that are not up to spec, not covered by any conceivable warranty.

If the seller is not registered in Australia, any so-called warranty information in the listing is piffle.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

For a start, I would'nt be buying such a thing on ebay

If you insist on doing so, the very, very least most basic place to start

The left side of page is 'show only'

an option under that is

'Authorised seller'

And it means what it means anywhere someone offers a warranty

If they are not authorised to sell  or re-sell the product/brand

there is no warranty 

As has been explained already, just because an ad says something does not make it true

Anyone can write anything

Same as an ad saying item location Australia does not mean it really is here

Check the feedback page, that shows where the seller is registered

The feedback shows if they lie about the item's location

Much better still is to follow the advice given already for finding an authorised seller
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply