Is it OK for an Ebay seller to cancel an order after the buyer has paid for it?

I negotiated with a seller for the purchase of an item. We agreed upon the price, plus shipping and handling. The seller changed their listing from bid to reserved so I could purchase it. I purchased the item and payid with PayPal. 3 days passed and I asked about the date and other shipping information. I was told they would contact me the following day to have the item "professionally" shipped. The following day, I was informed by the seller that they cancelled the order and were refunding my money. The professional shipping was way to expensive. I asked them to give me information about box sizes and shipping weight. It became a negative situation and after a couple more back and forth conversations, I decided to just step back. I tried and tried to find a way to communicate with an Ebay staff person, it felt to me as though the buyer no longer wished to sell the item and wanted to find a way out. It was not necessary to have the items professional packed and shipped, as they were already in their original boxes. I think what happened to me in this transaction was very unfair to me. And I'm sure the seller feels that selling the items and shipping them to me was that buyer missing out on an opportunity to make a better deal later on. I was asked to leave "positive feedback" for this buyer and an apology was offered. I am wondering if this renegging on t he sale is a violation of the Ebay fair selling practice?  I couldn't find a customer support center to help me with this deal.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Sellers can and do cancel transactions and if you're not happy about it then leave feedback stating that the seller

never went through with the sale.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

You're actually on the Australian boards, but eezi's response is correct, I had the same problem with a difficult seller a while ago and left a factual neg for them, but you may need to go into the :feedback forum" to find the item to leave feedback since the seller has cancelled.

To get to the "feedback forum" go to your purchase history page then click on "account" and go from there.

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

They can and they do, I understand, but is it a violation of the ebay policy?  is there any recourse other than negative feedback?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thank you for the guidance.  It is appreciated.  I had no idea I was on the Australian board.  Hahaha... small world.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@fdaniels413 wrote:

Thank you for the guidance.  It is appreciated.  I had no idea I was on the Australian board.  Hahaha... small world.  ๐Ÿ™‚

No worries, glad to be able to help. Regarding any other actions you can take, the only option is to go through "help and contact" and find an option that will allow you to get a call-back from eBay, then ask to speak to a supervisor and go from there.

Hope you enjoyed being in Oz !!!

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

They can do it, they have done it!

I wouldn't be leaving them positive feedback as it wasn't a positive experience for you.

Would I leave a neg though? Probably not because at least you got your money back and didn't end up losing anything. Plus they apolgised. Believe me, there are worse sellers than that on ebay.

Of course, there is also the option of neutral feedback or none, but they were a bit foolhardy asking for positive feedback, better for them to have said nothing about feedback.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply