Is it worth reporting potential fraudulent sellers?

Over the years I’ve noticed a small number of sellers of mainly computers and consumer electronics, that consistently list many of their items at 10 times the normal price. Indeed, so consistently it surely can’t be a data entry error.

Typically they have a high but less than 100% rating, reasonably high volumes of sales, and much negative feedback.

Is this a sign of money laundering activity and is it even worth reporting? 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Is it worth reporting potential fraudulent sellers?

I have no idea if it is a sign of money laundering.

If I don't like the price of an item I ignore them.

Same if there is excessive negative feedback.

If you want to report them then knock yourself out.

No one is forced to buy from those sellers.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

It seems very odd they would get a reasonably high volume of sales if the prices are 10 times the normal.

Are they branded name items where it would be easy to know the RRP?

I wouldn't know if it is money laundering. I guess it could be but I am not sure exactly how that works. But if they are getting a lot of neg feedback it sounds as if a lot of normal customers are buying from them as well.

I am not sure ebay would do much as the sales footprint probably looks normal enough. You'd have to have some pretty hard evidence, I suspect.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Post the item number of one such item here.

It may just be a case of seller raising price of items not currently in stock, so as to discourage potential sales while still maintaining sales history etc.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Money Laundering?    I would assume  they would have to be, buying their own product (or organising the purchase) with illicit funds, so as to be able to record funds   as being for legitimate sales.

Don't know why they would then choose, to leave/arrange NEG FB  for themselves.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply