Issues eBay MUST address IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

As Buyers, there have been quite afew issues which at first were somewhat problematic, but NOW seem to have escalated to a point of being ridiculous.

1) Delivery times; 
Understandably, with the Covid situation and with the backlog of shipping vessel issues, one expects some delay at some point. 
HOWEVER, being in Australia, I have noticed that most of the Asian sellers, regardless of province, have taken this delay issue a little too far. 
After making MANY purchases over the last 12months, NOT ONE arrived on time UNLESS it was sent via specified courier.
Now, after checking the postal labels and prints, less than half were sent in good time but somehow got lost for several weeks or months.
However MOST the remainder, were literally posted several weeks before actual arrival.
Meaning if the item was actually packed and posted in appropriate time, the wait period wouldnt be so much of a problem.

As it stands, I CURRENTLY have 4 items not delivered over a 3 month wait period.
Then theres one more item which was defective and after the rigmoral of sending pictures & explaining the defect, AN ENTIRE YEAR has now come to pass and STILL no replacement, even after offering to send the defective unit back.

Now, how does ebay address this??
They dont.. In fact, the customers are at a disadvantage which is actually against the law here in Australia.

Paypal shouldnt have a 6 month deadline from the purchase day to make a claim.
If theyre adamant regarding deadlines, use Australian sales practices & Insurance protections acts, being a 2 year statute of limitations, like every other Aussie operating business or insurer operating in Australia (regardless of geographic location)
I wont go into insurance here, but there are provisions for that within MOST mail services...
Either way, the ONLY reason i use paypal now, is for the insurance cover.

Further, if there is an ongoing problem, that deadline SHOULDNT be from the date of purchase, it should be from the day the issue was RAISED TO THE SELLER, so long as that raising was within 12 months of receipt of goods (NOT purchase date, but when the goods actually ARRIVED). 
This ensures goods sold to Australians fall under standard (ie NORMAL)  warranty conditions.
Often, one will pay for goods months in advance before receiving
Obv this only covers new items.
Second hand items being sold by a retailer carry a 3 month warranty with a 4 week return caveat.
As per Aus law.

2) GST-
GST should NOT be charged on second hand goods. In fact, its against the law to charge GST twice.
eBay needs to remove the GST from the invoices UNLESS the item is listed as NEW from a retailer.
Remember, if a business is not registered for GST, then it cannot charge GST.
Stop charging GST on SH goods or new goods sold by your average Jo.

3) eBay also needs to STOP locking off the feedback and STOP with the 4 week deadline on said feedback.
This is a ridiculous system when you consider the fact goods HARDLY arrive within their delivery periods.
By the time some goods arrive, there is NO WAY one can leave feedback as feedback time has expired, good or bad, to the seller or to address the issue.
Worse, what was once a good experience, MAY HAVE CHANGED. This happens with positive experiences going back through defective products, return or refund disputes, warranty issues and other problems such as incomplete deliveries .

STOP IT..

Leave the feedback open UNTIL THE CUSTOMER is ready to leave feedback.
Once feedback is left, allow a customer to amend or add notes to the original feedback.

The customer has already been disadvantaged by the delays and incessant chasing of the item, theyre out of pocket, out of time, and its a headache when one is not only dealing with a flawed system, but , more often than not, theres also a language barrier to contend with .
eBay are currently stopping customers voices. Bad postpurchase experience makes it worse and takes away their right to speak up about their experience, be it good or bad.
You'll find this problem is RAMPANT in warranty issues whereby sellers DELIBERATELY waste time to a degree where not only is feedback out of the question, but so is a Paypal enforced refund.

4) Listed items in purchase history are automatically archived, hiding purchases once

a) either a delivery threshold set by the seller has gone over ETA

b) a certain time period has come to pass (usually 4 weeks from my experience)
STOP IT.
Leave ALL items in their respective "purchase history" lists until the user decides to hide or delete the sale info.

Often, Im required to fish back in time just to find an item because a product fails under warranty, and other times, Im forced to log into Paypal and search a purchase there just to find the seller and address an issue.

I understand eBay is trying to look after sellers, but you can do that WITHOUT compromising the people spending their money here.

5) To motivate appropriate business conduct, goods NOT delivered on the sellers OWN delivery time info, incur an  automatic refund. 
This can be automated a day AFTER the sellers own deadline and if goods are not delivered in time, then a refund happens BUT this auto refund can ONLY happen if the buyer states that the goods arent received and only AFTER they have left feedback.
This way, accurate tabs are kept on dodgy sellers, and once refund is received, put that down along the pick a box sections where they ask about delivery time, and seller communication in the feedback section.

Further, no more than 8 weeks should be listable as a delivery period, else the item itself SHOULD NOT BE LISTABLE FOR SALE.

This ensures that goods are delivered on time, sellers dont balk communications and try to dodge time until the feedback deadline cuts off the buyer (as is the current system) and ensures that the buyer is NOT disadvantaged under ANY circumstance.

A refund should be provided, automatically, when the seller fails in their sale and delivery.
Like ANY business operating in Australia, business operating on eBay WITHIN Australia should be treated as such.

eBay sellers MUST be held to account.
eBay needs to be held to account as they provide the platform for these scammers.
Enough is enough..

There has been so many attempts at scams, and actual sellers STILL SCAMMING its not even funny.
Its bad enough eBay & Paypal fees are so high, but its gotten to the point where buyers are at such a disadvantage if anything goes wrong, that its nigh on impossible to get any amicable remedy.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Did you tell eBay these things?

eBay do not read here

Have you opened appropriate disputes?

You mostly but from dodgy sellers in China and wonder why you have issues

Buyers are given all the tools to protect themselves

I really do not know where you come up with some of the things you mention in your post

Much of it sounds like stories the dodgy sellers you keep buying from have told you, rather than reality 

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

@padreousmaximus wrote:

As Buyers, there have been quite afew issues which at first were somewhat problematic, but NOW seem to have escalated to a point of being ridiculous.

1) Delivery times;

I hear ya!

2) GST-
GST should NOT be charged on second hand goods. In fact, its against the law to charge GST twice.
eBay needs to remove the GST from the invoices UNLESS the item is listed as NEW from a retailer.
Remember, if a business is not registered for GST, then it cannot charge GST.
Stop charging GST on SH goods or new goods sold by your average Jo.

I have struck a line through the parts of point 2 that are just WRONG.

Australian businesses that are registered for GST are required to charge GST on all transactions, even for 2nd hand goods . . . including those sold through eBay.

Collection of GST on ALL overseas transactions shipped to Australia was enacted into law some years back.  

eBay can not stop collecting GST on overseas purchases, it is a requirement under Australian GST legislation.

For the execution of GST legislation, eBay is considered the supplier.  Since they have an ABN and transact more than A$75,000 annually they are obliged to collect GST on ALL overseas purchases shipped to Australia.  This includes 2nd hand goods from everyday casual sellers.

The penalties for eBay if they do not meet their GST obligations would be huge.

3) eBay also needs to STOP locking off the feedback and STOP with the 4 week deadline on said feedback.

Buyers have 60 days to leave feedback.

This is a ridiculous system when you consider the fact goods HARDLY arrive within their delivery periods.

Leave appropriate feedback with the 60 days.  A seller can send a feedback revision request if things change after the 60 day cutoff.  “Follow up feedback” can also be left beyond the 60 days if issues arise.  The important thing is get some feedback left as follow up is impossible if you miss the 60 day cutoff for the original feedback.
By the time some goods arrive, there is NO WAY one can leave feedback as feedback time has expired, good or bad, to the seller or to address the issue.
Worse, what was once a good experience, MAY HAVE CHANGED. This happens with positive experiences going back through defective products, return or refund disputes, warranty issues and other problems such as incomplete deliveries .

STOP IT.

Warranties on eBay purchases are near impossible to enforce (especially for sellers who are overseas).  The only exception would be Australian businesses.  You may have recourse through “Fair Trading” against Australian businesses, but not against casual sellers who say they offer warranty.

Leave the feedback open UNTIL THE CUSTOMER is ready to leave feedback.
Once feedback is left, allow a customer to amend or add notes to the original feedback.

This is unworkable.  It would lead to buyers threatening sellers with change of feedback.  “Follow up feedback” let’s buyers add to their original feedback through making another comment.

The customer has already been disadvantaged by the delays and incessant chasing of the item, theyre out of pocket, out of time, and its a headache when one is not only dealing with a flawed system, but , more often than not, theres also a language barrier to contend with .
eBay are currently stopping customers voices. Bad postpurchase experience makes it worse and takes away their right to speak up about their experience, be it good or bad.
You'll find this problem is RAMPANT in warranty issues whereby sellers DELIBERATELY waste time to a degree where not only is feedback out of the question, but so is a Paypal enforced refund.

I’m going to stop here as my head hurts!

4) Listed items in purchase history are automatically archived, hiding purchases once

a) either a delivery threshold set by the seller has gone over ETA

b) a certain time period has come to pass (usually 4 weeks from my experience)
STOP IT.
Leave ALL items in their respective "purchase history" lists until the user decides to hide or delete the sale info.

Often, Im required to fish back in time just to find an item because a product fails under warranty, and other times, Im forced to log into Paypal and search a purchase there just to find the seller and address an issue.

I understand eBay is trying to look after sellers, but you can do that WITHOUT compromising the people spending their money here.

5) To motivate appropriate business conduct, goods NOT delivered on the sellers OWN delivery time info, incur an  automatic refund. 
This can be automated a day AFTER the sellers own deadline and if goods are not delivered in time, then a refund happens BUT this auto refund can ONLY happen if the buyer states that the goods arent received and only AFTER they have left feedback.
This way, accurate tabs are kept on dodgy sellers, and once refund is received, put that down along the pick a box sections where they ask about delivery time, and seller communication in the feedback section.

Further, no more than 8 weeks should be listable as a delivery period, else the item itself SHOULD NOT BE LISTABLE FOR SALE.

This ensures that goods are delivered on time, sellers dont balk communications and try to dodge time until the feedback deadline cuts off the buyer (as is the current system) and ensures that the buyer is NOT disadvantaged under ANY circumstance.

A refund should be provided, automatically, when the seller fails in their sale and delivery.
Like ANY business operating in Australia, business operating on eBay WITHIN Australia should be treated as such.

eBay sellers MUST be held to account.
eBay needs to be held to account as they provide the platform for these scammers.
Enough is enough..

There has been so many attempts at scams, and actual sellers STILL SCAMMING its not even funny.
Its bad enough eBay & Paypal fees are so high, but its gotten to the point where buyers are at such a disadvantage if anything goes wrong, that its nigh on impossible to get any amicable remedy.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

K1ooo has already replied in detail.

Delivery times have been really pathetic during COVID, but where I live it is now mostly back to normal.

Last month I even bought something from China (which I very rarely do these days), and it arrived in 3 weeks, which really surprised me.

What I would like to see fixed is the feed, which I don't even check any more because it now mostly has items from the USA (sponsored I guess), while my favourite sellers don't come up any more (small sellers who don't promote their listings).

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

If you are finding purchasing on Ebay so problematic, why do you bother to continue.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I’m going to stop here as my head hurts!

And I thought you had just run out of red ink

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

GP, perhaps this thread should go to the NFI file.........

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Anything else ???

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

My head's okay at this stage so I'll try for an answer. My points as I thought of them-not necessarily corresponding to your dot points.

1. Stop buying from overseas for a while, stick to aussie sellers. I bought a few things last year when we were in lockdown etc and no problem with late arrivals.

2. If an item doesn't arrive by the due date, open an ebay claim. Don't wait around messaging a seller and waiting for a replacement. Go for money back. You can always buy again later.

3. Ebay is a selling platform, it isn't in the business of honoring the warranty of each and every purchase. That's up to the manufacturer or company that made the item. Your guarantee will only be as good as the retailer. In other words, if you buy from some Chinese seller, your chances of them honoring a warranty are buckley's and none. Buy from an authorised seller. Prefereably in Aust. Or a real store.

4. The reason feedback is 60 days (and I think it may be 60 days after the ETA, not the sale itself,  but couldn't swear to that) is that feedback is about the transaction itself. Did the seller post quickly, within their advertised time frame, was the item as advertised etc

If your item is 60 days overdue then you should have opened an ebay claim a month earlier, at least. That part should have been sorted. If the item arrived without hassle, then 60 days gives you enough time to open it and check that it is as advertised. 

Admittedly, it doesn't give you a year or two to try it out and get cash back if faults develop but that is the job of a warranty. (see point 3)

5. Your idea of a full refund if an item is a tad late is totally unrealistic. Totally. You show me any other online business that will give you a definite date of arrival and total refund if the item is a day late. Have never seen such a thing and believe me,  I buy online a lot, probably an item or so a week and from many different companies.

Ebay already gives you the tools to make a claim if your item is late and a seller hasn't stuck to their terms. If they can't supply a tracking number, then they're gone as far as winning a claim goes. The buyer wins a refund. What more do you want?

6. You can look up your past purchases on ebay for the last 2 years. That should be plenty long enough for most things, surely?

By the way I am a buyer only these days, not a seller. I don't like scammers either. Just don't communicate back and forth with sellers if an item doesn't turn up and there is no tracking, go straight to an ebay claim.

And shop Australian, it will make your life easier.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

That's a bit unfair. At least one recent purchase was from a dodgy seller in Hong Kong. Unless you consider HK to be part of China. Fair enough the CCP do and they have the guns.

Do much for one country, two systems.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply