Item breaks after being worn for 2 months

karniblue
Community Member

I bought a fitbit wrist band from China. It broke after only 2 months of wearing it. But because the delivery took a long time, i don't remember how long, but it was at least 1 month, and it broke 2 months later, I can't leave any feedback anymore.  The limit to leave a feedback is 60 days after purchase. The seller doesn't want to take any responsibility. Is it acceptable that i should just accept the loss? Shouldn't the item have a reasonable durability? Although it's a cheap item, usd 1.72 but it's still not acceptable. 

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Item breaks after being worn for 2 months

I just had a look,  your average cheap but real fitbit is about $150 plus dollars, and comes witrh a 12 months warranty.  So at a $1.72, I reckon the cheap chinese one should come with about a 94 hour and 26 minute warranty.  I reckon you did well

Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

The OP only bought the band, not the actual fitbit thingy. I have no idea what just the band costs, but I'm guessing it's more than $2.

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

About 10 times as much.

Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

I saw just from one retailer official Fitbit brand ones are between $44-$70. 

I expect a lot of that price is for the name rather than the quality, and that you can find equally good quality ones made by third-party manufacturers for less (or even more) than that, it's just a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff. Heck, I could probably make one for a few bucks that'd last practically forever lol (that's not an offer to anyone, BTW, just an idle thought and particularly since I'm only referring to material cost 🤣 ). 

Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

@karniblue wrote:

OH gee, that is how bad these items are, I had no idea.

-----------

If the real thing costs about $44-$70 and you're paying $2, you need to be aware you're taking a massive gamble on quality, even if it is coming from China.

I have a feeling some people believe that because they are buying from China, everything is dirt cheap from there. It's not necessarily so. We were in China itself 3 years back and there wasn't a lot you could buy for $2. You could bargain downwards, but all the same, even a lot of the cheap junk was more than that.

From what I can gather, China doesn't have quite the same laws and regulations against blatantly copying designs by other companies and the safety regulations won't necessarily be up to Australian standards. So you'd be best to avoid buying anything electrical or electronic from there and also things such as your wristband or clothing that are suspiciously cheap.

'You get what you pay for' is overall true. Not to say you can't buy anything reasonable from China, but for sure, never get your hopes up too high over a $2 purchase.

Message 25 of 25
Latest reply