Item breaks after being worn for 2 months

karniblue
Community Member

I bought a fitbit wrist band from China. It broke after only 2 months of wearing it. But because the delivery took a long time, i don't remember how long, but it was at least 1 month, and it broke 2 months later, I can't leave any feedback anymore.  The limit to leave a feedback is 60 days after purchase. The seller doesn't want to take any responsibility. Is it acceptable that i should just accept the loss? Shouldn't the item have a reasonable durability? Although it's a cheap item, usd 1.72 but it's still not acceptable. 

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@karniblue wrote:

It's a cheap item yes but no, I didn't expect it to perform like the real thing, that would have been absurd. But for something that broke after 2 months, is like throwing money to the trash. It's a total waste. 

Well yeah, that's kind of the point of cheap items. As in, for the most part, they literally aren't designed for long-term use. At best they are stop-gap solutions, at worst you buy them 20 or even 100 times to get the same use out of them that buying one of the more expensive options provides - more often than not, you end up paying more for cheap things than you do for expensive things, in some cases the cheap ones are detrimental to your health when used long term.

eg I had some pliers that I bought here for $1 that lasted a lot longer than some expensive brand name pliers...mostly because the expensive ones had irreplaceable leaf springs that were a little too brittle for my heavy handed-ness, and the cheap ones just had a normal spring...that failed in weeks so I replaced it with  a new one and affixed it so it couldn't pop out like it kept doing before. I paid for the cheap ones in other ways, though, they were really hard on my hands while the expensive ones had nice, big padded handles designed for long-session use. In the end I bought some almost obnoxiously expensive heavy duty ones that are amazing and have lasted years, still going strong and don't make me feel like I'm developing carpal tunnel. 

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

Oh yes, I understand what you mean now. Yes, for sure. Have to count my blessing.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

I have stopped buying cheap items from China because there is a reason for their price... It is a sad reality. 😞

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

It is'nt a Fitbit wrist band, it is cheap trash designed to break

I am actually amazed it lasted 2 months, junk like that usually breaks first wear

For $1.72US, how much wear would you consider reasonable (serious question)

The seller sent you exactly what you paid for by the sound of it

You know the limit limits prior to purchase, and you know how long postage from overseas is taking at the moment

if you are wanting to buy rubbish from China and have feedback as your main concern, that is your choice alone 

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Have I got it right and you are talking about an item worth about $2?? 😯

Surely not.

Was it a typo and you meant $US172?

Firstly, how fast did you expect postage to be? A month sounds about right. I wouldn't be buying anything from overseas and expecting it much faster from anywhere unless it is coming express post or whatever.

I could have this next bit wrong but I think you have 60 days after estimated date of arrival in which to leave feedback, not 60 days after purchase. 

I suspect any Chinese seller would have an ETA of several weeks away but even if it ran a couple of weeks late, you should still have had time to leave feedback.

Leaving feedback seems to be your main concern and I am wondering if you weren't interested in leaving any when the watch arrived and only became interested 2 months later, when the watch broke down.

Yes, items should have reasonable durability but here's the thing. With ebay, you are giving feedback mainly about the transaction, as in, did the seller send the item you asked for in the time frame promised and was it in the condition as advertised?

Ebay doesn't back up any guarantee about the item and that's what you're really asking about. You had a watch that worked fine for 2 months but has now broken down.

Yes, you'll have to accept the loss unless you try a claim via paypal, which may not be successful either.

The risk with buying anything like this from an overseas seller is there is never any enforceable guarantee.

And if you buy from China, the chances of getting a counterfeit type item are pretty high.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

I don't know if they really called it Fitbit by the way - if they did, it is actually copyright infringement because it is obviously just a cheap copy...

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Feedback is 60 days from the date of purchase.

It seems the OP is more concerned about feedback, rather than the fact they bought some cheap junk from China and expecting it to perform like the real thing.

You get what you pay for.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

@karniblue wrote:

Is it acceptable that i should just accept the loss? Shouldn't the item have a reasonable durability? Although it's a cheap item, usd 1.72 but it's still not acceptable. 

Australian Consumer Law will disagree with you, not that ACL would actually be enforceable on this sale, anyway - "acceptable quality" and things like durability is actually tied to the price of an item. My go-to example is headphones. It is completely unreasonable to expect a $2 pair of headphones to be of the same quality and last as long as a $200 pair of headphones. 

How long can you reasonably expect a cheap item to last? Well, it depends on the item, I guess, but 2 months seems pretty reasonable to me, in AUD, the price was around 5% of the price of the average brandname versions, so lasting no more than 5% as long seems about right, no? 

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Springy, the OP is talking about a wrist band for a Fitbit - a fitness tracker, not a watch, and yes, about $2.

OP, you're lucky you didn't lose the Fitbit.   That would've made it very expensive indeed.

Stop buying cheap rubbish and buy the genuine item from Fitbit and know it's safe.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

Thanks stawka, I didn't read the post properly. I was thinking it was the fitbit itself. I know they can be worth hundreds.

So we're having all this discussion about a $2 wrist band?

I don't know what to say. For $2, I personally wouldn't be expecting much. You can't even get a cup of coffee for that.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Yep, there's no guarantee whatsoever. 

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply