Item broken, seller refusing to refund

SO annoyed, shade arrived broken, seller refusing to refund, seller would't use paypal, seller reported, any suggestions on where I should go next???

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Hi michelle, should have used PayPal even if seller says otherwise, if it's in their listing, they are obligated to offer it.

Hope it wasn't expensive, all you can do now is use feedback to describe the transaction. But be factual so seller can't have it removed.

If you feel it was Aust Post that damaged it, you can take it and all the packaging to AP for a claim but usually it's because seller didn't pack it properly.

Lesson learnt I guess.

image host
Message 2 of 47
Latest reply

What do you mean seller wouldn't use Paypal?

ALL sellers have to use either Paypal,Paymate or cc merchant facilities as you know because you're a seller yourself-that was your 1st mistake sorry as you should have refused to pay any other way unless it was cash on pickup.

If you paid seller via bank deposit,there's nothing much you can do except leave neg feedback.

Message 3 of 47
Latest reply

Thanks for your responses. I did query they didn't have paypal as an option, but they had paymate-I'm not familiar with it at all. I rang ebay, I should have followed my gut & not used bank deposit really... Lesson learnt.. Ive been told I can open a dispute with my bank though, might follow this up ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 4 of 47
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the seller offered Paymate they are not obliged to offer Paypal as well.

I am not sure how you can dispute a bank deposit.  A chargeback is for credit card transactions.

Message 5 of 47
Latest reply

THe item broke because it wasn't packed correctly, there was flimsy bubble wrap not ever around the whole shade... I know none of us are perfect, I recently had a shade break in transit & took responsibility & paid a refund, I'm the one who has to do the tooing & frooing with Australia Post, & I expect the seller to do the same, at the very least & they have gotten off scoot free... It's a joke, they get away with it!!!

Message 6 of 47
Latest reply

eBay has safe payment methods required for a reason.

As you are now aware.

Message 7 of 47
Latest reply

It wouldnโ€™t have mattered if you had used PayPal because PayPal buyer protection doesnโ€™t include items damaged in transit.

The first thing you should do is lodge a claim with AP and if they pay, then problem solved.

In the alternative if they reject the claim on the basis that the packaging was inadequate, you can take action against the seller by initiating a small claim.

Message 8 of 47
Latest reply

Oh and in case someone wants to take issue with โ€œPayPal buyer protection doesnโ€™t include items damaged in transitโ€

PayPal provides no buyer protection in addition to what the buyer already has under Australian Consumer Protection Law.  Instead PayPal buyer protection is nothing more than an advocacy service so that the buyer can access those rights without the need to take the seller to the small claims court.

Under the laws dealing with sales contracts, when it comes to specific goods, and 99.9 percent of goods sold on eBay are specific goods, those goods become the property of the buyer once paid for.

When it comes to specific goods which are to be delivered, though they are the property of the buyer once paid for, they remain at the sellers risk until the time they are handed over to carrier.  That is if they are lost or damaged before they are handed over to the carrier the buyer has a right of recovery against the seller.

However when the item is handed over to the carrier they are deemed delivered and as such risk passes from the seller to the buyer.  Why?  Because from that point onwards the seller has no control as to what happens to them .  This means once handed over to the carrier the buyer has no further right of recovery against the seller of loss or damage, unless the buyer proves that loss or damage was as a result of seller negligence.

Deemed delivery has exactly the same legal effect as if the seller had handed the item to the buyer, and therefore, if the item is damaged AFTER it has been handed over to the carrier, it is the same as if it had been damaged after the buyer had received it.

This is the reason why, whereas is some overseas agreements, items damaged in transit are specifically included in the definition of Item Significantly Not As Described, there is no mention of it in the Australian agreement. 

Message 9 of 47
Latest reply

nkj412
Community Member

you are also dreaming of some unknown world.Seller is the master and fire shots,supported by ebay and paypal.Seller can take your money and

-deregister/disappear

-don't send the item

-put onus on buyer to prove it was not delivered even if it was to be picked up and seller has not provided address of pick up

-ebay,since has received its fee will not bother and its good for nothing cutomer service will keep advancing its rotten defence in terms and conditions.

PEOPLE WHO WANT TO MAKE EASY AND TROUBLE FREE MONEY,EBAY OFFERS A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY

Message 10 of 47
Latest reply