Item doesn't meet international transfer minimum amount.

I just bought a record for 40 Euros. 

The only payment method is IBAN/International transfer

I tried to pay and my bank tells me the minimum I can send is 100 Euros.

Why does Ebay allow this to happen and is there any way around it? I have contacted the seller and he said he has no other payment method.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Is the seller in Germany?   German sellers do not have to use paypal....something to do with their banking rules.   If you want to buy from Europe you have to follow their rules....ebay cannot force them to do anything that is against the law of the country that the seller is in.

I have bought from Germany several times and as far as I remember there was no restriction on the amount I was able to send.  You could try another bank.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Western Union

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Do not use Western Union.

This is an unsafe payment method for buyers and is expressly forbidden by eBay http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@book-of-hezekiah wrote:

Do not use Western Union.

This is an unsafe payment method for buyers and is expressly forbidden by eBay http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

So is bank transfer, and it is still cheaper than paying 100 euros for a 40 euro item.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Ohhh, well... I feel sheepish. Good point, Dave! I stopped looking when I saw my point proven!

What a confusing rule - having bank-to-bank transfer as both Restricted and Not Allowed and as a "normal" payment method when making a listing.

I've now derailed the thread a bit, sorry OP. I don't know how to help you. I hope you get good and helpful advice and good outcome.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Be aware that with this type of payment you have no buyer protection. If it doesn't arrive or it's not as descibed, there is absolutely nothing you can do to get a refund.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

So, Ebay bans payments via Western Union BUT, when I opened the Discussion Boards page there are two box adverts. promoting money transfers by Western Union !!

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

pdme_dolls that is a good observation. Those ads could be there for different reasons, though. Of course I don't know your computer settings so I would only be guessing and surmising why those ads are there.

A common reason is because the user has been looking at similar ads and AdChoices uses the cookies on the user's machine to show same or similar ads. For example, if I was looking at a motorbike on eBay, the banner ads on Facebook will show that particular item because the cookies are clever.

Another reason is that eBay is a business and so is connected to money. The algorithms for ads would draw these two businesses together.

Finally, sometimes they are paid, targeted ads.

In all cases, be aware of the policies of the platform and buyer beware.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply