Item never received / Refunded and item turns up a month later. What do I do?

4bytes
Community Member

Hello, a month ago nearlly around this time I purchased an item from a seller located in the same state as me and it was *estimated that the item I purchased would arrive the next week (I purchased on a Wednesday in June, item said it wasn't going to arrive until the next wednesday / Thursday comes around). I was provided with a tracking number two days after I ordered but unfortuantly it never updated outside of "Shipping infomation received by Australia post". The day it was due to arrive came and gone, I got in touch with the seller opening an INR case (Item not received) and I'd said that I had been watching the provided tracking number and it hasn't updated since two days after I purchased the item and fearing the item was lost or not coming I decided to go for a full refund. 

The seller got in touch with me 3 days later and apoligised for the delay and said they'd check with the post office (Australia post) and it was "missing scan" and I was asked by the seller to wait until the middle of the week to see if it would arrive then which I'm happy to do. Things happen.

The middle of the week again comes and goes, tracker is still saying "Shipping infomation received by Australia post" and I respond to the case again saying it still hasn't arrived and I'd waited more than enough time for it to be sent to me. Seller apoligised again and then issued me a refund (as requested) and asked if It was to arrive could I send it back, all the while the day I got the refund the tracker still hadn't updated. Case was auto closed after I got my refund and thought that'll be the end of that (I'd since gotten a similar item from another seller and it arrived without fuss) 

I'd stopped looking at the tracking number not long after I was refunded. But today while checking my emails I got an email from Australia post that my item is being delivered, I was puzzled at first what was going on and what it was but luckilly I'd kept the tracking number on a sticky note on my PC and put two and two together and it was the item I'd been long refunded on that I thought was never going to come.

Note: When I purchased this item I opted for Click&Collect at a retailer near me. As I'm about to finish this post I got another email saying it had been delivered to my C&C retailer of choice. 

I'm a honest person, I'm not out to rip rip anyone off but I am a newbie to this side of things and have had 99% of my ebay purchases go well (this being the 1% fluff up).  

What do I do?

The case has been closed, it's not right of me to keep an item I've been refunded on, how do I get the money and or item back to the seller and make sure I don't get bent or screwed over? 

I've read on sending them money through paypal and explaining the item turned up but not sure if that's the safest thing to do. Don't want Paypal or Ebay coming back and biting me. But if that's what needs to be done, that's what needs to be done. 

Any advice? 

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Item never received / Refunded and item turns up a month later. What do I do?

It seems to me that this would be a situation that pops up reasonably regularly. I say that because I have read quite a few posts where people are saying-what can i do, the buyer isn't picking up their parcel form the PO.

So I think it must happen with click & collect as well.

This doesn't mean all staff at Big W would know the procedures but I think full timers in the section would need to know. I've been trying to think of a possible solution as I think the system is faulty & I think the best solution would be one that by-passed the buyer completely. Maybe when sellers send off something as click & collect, there could be a little box they tick if they want an ID Notification code to show. Or maybe a current code already on the labels would suffice.

Then Big W staff could scan the code of uncollected items and email to ebay directly. Their automated system could notify the sellers concerned who could then issue a return label to that store. I imagine sellers would only tick for the notification code if the item was worth enough to warrant return postage.

It's a bit of a rigmarole and it might mean ebay would have to pay BigW a higher commission than it already does to cover it, but I think it could work as the scanning process in store & maybe fortnightly notification to ebay if necessary would probably be done by a regular full timer.

All this talk of morality: We're talking here of a buyer who has been refunded and who technically no longer owns the item. We're talking (on a general level) of buyers who for one reason or another might forget or fail to pick up items. And ebay's only solution for a problem that they absolutely know is happening is to say-oh well, item gets dumped or donated.

And why is that? I would suggest it is cost over morality. Providing sellers with an option to recover their items is possible. If i can think of one, I am sure ebay can too but they just don't want to pay any extra to BIgW for the service.

Message 31 of 42
Latest reply

Re: Item never received / Refunded and item turns up a month later. What do I do?

Don't forget the seller claimed to have sent a replacment and a return shipping label. 

My idea of RTS is when the delivery person can't find the address or a recepient of an item who's details don't match the address write not at this address or return to sender. 

Not the person whom it is addressed to collects the item and decides they no longer want it so decide to send it back but not pay any return postage fee. Maybe this is allowed as I have never tried it for items other than wrongly addressed items.

Message 32 of 42
Latest reply

The clause about the items being donated or destroyed is new (as in, new to me - I read the T&Cs quite thoroughly when the feature was introduced, and went back to them several times over the following year or so when threads popped up here in the forums to discuss problems with it - they always said the package would be returned to the seller, but it's been quite a while since I had a reason to read them so I couldn't say if it was introduced recently or a year+ ago). It's interesting to me that this has developed as the solution to a problem that likely occurs relatively regularly (imagine buying something expensive and then experiencing a life event that prevents you from being able to collect an item, it gets given away and you're not eligible for anything except the knowledge that someone else is enjoying the item you paid for. At least if a package is RTS, the seller would generally have the means and an obligation to provide a solution for the buyer, but this means the seller is put in a position where it may be impossible for them to assist or provide a solution - I would feel horrible if I were the seller in those kinds of circumstance and it was an item I couldn't afford to refund or replace, despite it not being my fault or responsibility). 

And on that note, since the issues of morals and ethics have been raised - and I want to make clear that this is my personal opinion, and I'm not sharing it because I expect other people to feel or think the same way (see my earlier response of "not your problem"), more because it's what I genuinely think and apply to myself, and maybe it'll add something to the discussion - in my capacity as a seller or buyer, I would never feel comfortable washing my hands of a situation without the express encouragement of the other involved or affected party. The way I see it is that I have entered into an arrangement with someone, it didn't go as expected, sure, but I took on the responsibility of that when I made the decision, since while I expect everything to go as planned, I know that not every purchase does - in a nutshell, I will follow through with what I feel are the responsibilities I agreed to from the outset, at least in so far as I am able. In this particular scenario, I [probably wouldn't feel the same obligation with regards to the replacement package, since that was not requested, but I would also think about what the seller was trying to do to assist me in the situation, at their own expense, and again if it were within my capabilities to assist them, I'd still do it.

I don't personally see any point in telling myself I shouldn't have to, as I know when I say that, often it's just another way of saying I don't want to, but including both a subtle ackowledgement of feeling some kind of obligation to from somewhere, and the attempt to justify not wanting to.

Still, if we're talking about morals philosophically, there's an argument that something can only be unethical or immoral if you have the ability to not do the immoral or unethical thing, and some argue that free will is an illusion - that is what you do or do not do is not actually a choice. If you accept both of those premises, nothing is unethical or immoral. Smiley LOL 

Message 33 of 42
Latest reply

That's interesting about the clause being relatively new.

I must admit I originally assumed the packages could be returned to sender because they had not been collected as that is apparently what happens in the PO.

I still think that dumping or donating all uncollected C&C items is a bit drastic.

I think in this particular case, the buyer seemed willing to help out with the return. To either see it RTS or to pick it up, obtain a return postage label & return it that way.

Purchases don't always go to plan & I don't think there is always a clear cut right & wrong for everything in life. Some things are clear, others not so much. In this case, I see something has gone wrong but I think both parties need to do their bit. The buyer could do his bit by making a special trip in to pick up the item, print out the return label, post the item etc

All that is a bit of bother for a buyer and a slight expense in terms of time & petrol. But in return the seller could provide the return postage label. I know it is extra expense for them but it is one of those situations where there are no winners.

The buyer said the seller was going to send a label but I haven't seen any confirmation he had actually done so as yet.

Message 34 of 42
Latest reply

If neither item (the original and the claimed replacement) got past the scan saying the label had been prepared, the seller may not even have sent the item in the first place. They may have sent the replacement using the original label, hence having the same tracking number. While I know there can be problems with tracking, I'm more than a little bit suspicious of the seller's competence. Maybe they're a large seller where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Anyway, until the seller does their bit there's not much the buyer can do unless they're prepared to be out of pocket, which I don't think they should have to be, especially if there are doubts about the seller.
Message 35 of 42
Latest reply

let ebay pay they made the mistake .

Message 36 of 42
Latest reply

What a pointless reply, this thread hasn't seen the light of day since 2019

Message 37 of 42
Latest reply

@daydreams_12 wrote:

What a pointless reply, this thread hasn't seen the light of day since 2019

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes when folks do a search on an issue, threads like this come to the top. They comment on what they see.

Message 38 of 42
Latest reply

They also "see" the date of the thread & could at least post a useful reply.

Message 39 of 42
Latest reply

How do you pay the seller? If you pay them directly, and ebay finds out, the buyer will be banned from ebay for purchasing outside ebay's system and thus the seller avoiding paying ebay's fees. Ebay needs to put a system in place were the buyer can repay through ebay. If someone receives an item after a refund, and pays the seller directly, they are in violation of ebay's terms and conditions for which they will get banned. Also, since the repayment of the refund is actually a second transaction OUTSIDE of ebay, there are no longer any ebay or paypal guarantees/protection. And if the seller is unscrupulous, after refunding them directly, could put in an appeal to the refund through ebay and ebay could reverse the original refund and the buyer would be out twice.

Ebay needs to step up and provide a system for the buyer to repay the refund and the original transaction and guarantees reinstated. As well as PayPal, or after pay etc, pay in installments to be reinstated

Message 40 of 42
Latest reply