Item never received / Refunded and item turns up a month later. What do I do?

4bytes
Community Member

Hello, a month ago nearlly around this time I purchased an item from a seller located in the same state as me and it was *estimated that the item I purchased would arrive the next week (I purchased on a Wednesday in June, item said it wasn't going to arrive until the next wednesday / Thursday comes around). I was provided with a tracking number two days after I ordered but unfortuantly it never updated outside of "Shipping infomation received by Australia post". The day it was due to arrive came and gone, I got in touch with the seller opening an INR case (Item not received) and I'd said that I had been watching the provided tracking number and it hasn't updated since two days after I purchased the item and fearing the item was lost or not coming I decided to go for a full refund. 

The seller got in touch with me 3 days later and apoligised for the delay and said they'd check with the post office (Australia post) and it was "missing scan" and I was asked by the seller to wait until the middle of the week to see if it would arrive then which I'm happy to do. Things happen.

The middle of the week again comes and goes, tracker is still saying "Shipping infomation received by Australia post" and I respond to the case again saying it still hasn't arrived and I'd waited more than enough time for it to be sent to me. Seller apoligised again and then issued me a refund (as requested) and asked if It was to arrive could I send it back, all the while the day I got the refund the tracker still hadn't updated. Case was auto closed after I got my refund and thought that'll be the end of that (I'd since gotten a similar item from another seller and it arrived without fuss) 

I'd stopped looking at the tracking number not long after I was refunded. But today while checking my emails I got an email from Australia post that my item is being delivered, I was puzzled at first what was going on and what it was but luckilly I'd kept the tracking number on a sticky note on my PC and put two and two together and it was the item I'd been long refunded on that I thought was never going to come.

Note: When I purchased this item I opted for Click&Collect at a retailer near me. As I'm about to finish this post I got another email saying it had been delivered to my C&C retailer of choice. 

I'm a honest person, I'm not out to rip rip anyone off but I am a newbie to this side of things and have had 99% of my ebay purchases go well (this being the 1% fluff up).  

What do I do?

The case has been closed, it's not right of me to keep an item I've been refunded on, how do I get the money and or item back to the seller and make sure I don't get bent or screwed over? 

I've read on sending them money through paypal and explaining the item turned up but not sure if that's the safest thing to do. Don't want Paypal or Ebay coming back and biting me. But if that's what needs to be done, that's what needs to be done. 

Any advice? 

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Item never received / Refunded and item turns up a month later. What do I do?

Old thread...

Normal transactions do have to take place on eBay, but if an item arrives after a refund eBay specifically says:

If your item arrives after you've received a refund

It's possible that your item may still arrive after you've been issued a refund. If this happens, you should get in touch with the seller and try to reach an agreement on what to do next. You can choose to either:

• Return the item and keep the refund
  • Keep the item and arrange to reimburse the seller

In other words, it's between the buyer and the seller.

Message 41 of 42
Latest reply

Re: Item never received / Refunded and item turns up a month later. What do I do?

pixie-six
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Due to the age of this thread and the information being outdated, it has now been locked. If you would like to continue this discussion, we encourage you to start a new topic for discussion! 

Thanks for keeping the community a safe and friendly place for everyone! 

Community Moderator - @pixie-six 

Message 42 of 42
Latest reply