Item not as described, looking at feedback options

A bike I just bought hasn't quite lived up to its description by the seller. I intend to contact the seller to express my disappointment and ask the seller to consider a partial refund. I will supply pics to back up my view. If the seller is totally uncooperative/unreasonable, I intend to leave negative feedback. If they give me a partial refund amount that's a bit less than what I want, I might consider leaving neutral feedback. 

My questions:

1) Can the seller leave me negative or neutral feedback that will diminish my 100% rating?

2) If I leave the seller neutral feedback, does it reduce their 100% rating?

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Item not as described, looking at feedback options

A seller can not leave a negative for a buyer, but seriously - you already sound like you are in the mood for a fight.

My questions:

1) Can the seller leave me negative or neutral feedback that will diminish my 100% rating?

A - as above NO

2) If I leave the seller neutral feedback, does it reduce their 100% rating?

No it doesn't

My question to yu : What does this seller have to do to warrant a positive?? or is that not an option you are willing to consider?

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Did you buy a secondhand bike?

If so does it meet the descripton in the listing?

Are there other issues with the bike that were not mentioned?

To be honest buying secondhand is lottery, what one person considers fantastic condition another would consider it worthy of the rubbish tip.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Exactly

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Baby, How is it not as described?

You are right to contact the seller and explain the situation WITHOUT asking for partial refund to begin with. See what the sellers response is, they may offer to work something out with you.

But first give them the opportunity. 😉

image host
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

whilst a neutral does nothing to the sellers fb% it does harm their eBay ranking, and affect their ability to rank well in searches for future items they may list for sale on eBay.   so Yes, it does impact on the Seller

you should be thinking about how to work around the situation you now find with the bike, NOT about what f/b you are 'thinking' about leaving....  thats the very LAST step in the whole transaction.

what steps did you take prior to buying to ascertain the condition of said bike?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I am no expert but from i have learnt from the wiser heads on these pages it is not OK to use feedback as a threat/bargaining tool.  So I wouldn't include the things you wrote in your post in your message to the seller ('which I pretty much read as 'give me a refund or I will leave negative or neutral feedback', sorry if that's not what you intended). I think it would be best to explain why you feel the item is not as described supported by pics of the item you received referenced back to details in the original listing, I'd also say what I would like to happen to remedy the situation (no reference to negs or neutrals or feedback at all). Then wait to see what the seller says and offers. Good luck!

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

I am wondering what you mean by "hasn't quite lived up to its description". You haven't stated that the seller made false and misleading statements in their description, or used a photo of a different bike etc. Your wording implies that the bike was not as good quality as what you expected or hoped.

If that is in fact the case then you need to consider what the exact issue is and whether the seller intentionally tried to deceive you. Photographs of items are never going to be as good as seeing and touching the item. I have purchased numerous brand new items online only to be somewhat disappointed when the item arrived. At times the colour is slightly different, the fabric is of a poorer quality than what it appeared etc. That is not due to the fact that the seller has misled me, but that the image and description can only provide so much information/detail.

Unless the item is "significantly not as described", then suggesting negative or neutral feedback on the basis of the item not being as you would have hoped, and not receiving a refund, may be construed as feedback extortion.

I would recommend that you contact the seller and explain to them what your precise issue(s) are with the bike, and how you would like the issue to be resolved. Addressing the seller in a tone that indicates you are seeking an amicable resolution, rather than threatening them, will usually produce a better result.

As has been stated sellers can only leave buyers positive feedback (or none at all).

If you leave a seller negative feedback and/or low detailed seller ratings it will have a detrimental impact on their ranking in search results, and may also harm their sales as some buyers read neutral/negative seller feedback prior to making a decision to purchase.

I hope you can come to an agreement to resolve this to your satisfaction with the seller.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

If it blatantly wasn't as described then that speaks for itself. You're right to open a dispute, etc.

Some things can be taken different ways, as mentioned. "Excellent" can mean "Good" to someone else. Personally, I find alot of sellers use too good of a description just to entice buyers.

As a buyer, I generally err on the side of caution when evaluating listings. Particularly if it's a relatively high-priced item. If the photo doesn't clearly show what I need, I ask for more info or simply don't bid. If the details don't tell what I want to know, I ask for more info. Buyers would do themselves a great service by asking specific questions. Sellers aren't going to bite their heads off. Sometimes sellers do make mistakes or just don't give enough info. Ask... it'll save buyers and sellers time and money.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

How was the transaction completed? Was it a pickup by any chance?

If so, you have no formal recourse as pickup items are not covered by buyer protection (or seller protection). If it was pickup, you should have inspected it prior to payment. By paying for and taking the bike you agree that you are happy with it in that condition and for the price you paid.

I could be wrong of course, but bikes aren't things you often expect to be posted.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply