Item paid for but not received

I am just letting all the Ebay buyers out there to be aware of a seller who has an Ebay site and is selling items but not sending once paid for, pocketing the cash. I brought an item and with postage came to a total of $17.70 now this might not be a large amount to anybody else but for me being on unemployment benefits it is a big amount to lose. I have done everything right as Ebay states contacting Seller x2 no response. Now Ebay won't help me because I used Afterpay to purchase the item. If they are not going to assist in problems like this why are they allowing Sellers to add this function to their sites? Afterpay has been a way that I can purchase my clothing and gifts for my grandchildren etc. with easy 4x payments I can budget. I never spend anymore than I can afford and to have someone like this seller do this is wrong. I paid for the item on 22/03/2021 and am still fighting because they should not be allowed to do this. Is this not a case of stealing?  

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You didn't need to go back and forth with a seller.

You had the tools at hand to manage this and could have opened a case for Item Not Received.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Unfortunately, it is ebay that has added the function, not the individual seller. You should have filed an INR dispute within 30 days of expected delivery.....were you given a tracking number?

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/returns-refunds/get-help-item-hasnt-arrived?id=4042&st=12&pos=2&...

https://help.afterpay.com/hc/en-au/articles/360038588012-Shopping-on-eBay-with-Afterpay

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Was AfterPay available at checkout? Did you go through a normal eBay checkout?

According to this page https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-pol... you should be eligible for protection if you use AfterPay at checkout, although there are exceptions. What I mean is, maybe it is not AfterPay, but some exception that prevents eBay from helping if you look at that page.

Or maybe it is too late? They can only help up to 30 days after the last day of the estimated delivery. When was the last day of the estimated delivery? (PayPal has a 180-day protection policy, but AfterPay does not offer protection I think, not yet at least.)

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

From a reply I gave in another (similar) thread:

@countessalmirena wrote:

Did you read the Afterpay page about refunds? There is no explicit protection policy, which is one reason why I'd never - ever - use Afterpay. If you do use Afterpay in future, you must avail yourself of any other protection within the associated timeframe. On eBay, that does mean that you cannot allow yourself to be put off until it's too late to make an MBG claim.

What I suggest

Get in touch with Afterpay directly and politely explain the situation. Ask for a full refund. Maintain politeness at all times. Explain the details point by point, i.e.,

• The purchased item has not arrived.
  • You believe, based upon the seller's refusal to engage now, that it was never sent.
  • The seller reassured you in the interim that the item had been sent, and given the pandemic situation, you gave the seller the benefit of the doubt.
  • It is now too late for you to open a claim under the eBay MBG.
  • However, you are still out of pocket and the item has not arrived.
  • Your attempts to resolve the situation with the seller have not been successful.
  • Therefore, you request full refund from Afterpay.

Have all of your evidence ready to hand, so that if you're asked to email or upload evidence, you have it as PDFs that you can upload or email on the spot.

In the event of Afterpay not refunding you, you can try making a complaint with the AFCA, as one of your few remaining options.

Afterpay is registered as a member and can have complaints lodged against them.

Spoiler

Afterpay Australia Pty Ltd
Member number: 45772, joined 1st November 2018
ACN/ABN: 15169342947

Complaint contact
Mr Chris Stevens
General Counsel & Company Secretary

Afterpay Australia Pty Ltd
Level 5, 406 Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000

Business phone: 1300 100 729
Email: complaints@afterpay.com

You might instead prefer to try contacting your bank or issuing credit/debit card provider, and ask for them to perform a chargeback. Remember that you cannot do both at the same time; it's either chargeback or complaint. Doing both will give the impression of double-dipping; wait until you have an outcome before you try another option. If you are not successful with a chargeback request, you can always raise a complaint with the AFCA subsequently, and vice versa.

Your best hope and fastest way of resolving the situation is to engage in dialogue with Afterpay and see if they will refund you. You could politely - very politely - mention that your next step would be to open a complaint with the AFCA if you sense that things are not looking promising with Afterpay... but don't phrase it or intend it as a threat. It's just signalling that you are aware of some further steps that you can take to remedy the situation.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you for advice I have already done this as per Ebay instructions still no response  cheers 

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

No tracking number, no response at all. I have never had any problems since joining Ebay just feel cheated 

cheers 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

If you opened a case for Item not received, did you ask ebay to step in when allowed, or did you let it time out?

You can't let it time out or you will lose.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@chrisp-14 wrote:

I am just letting all the Ebay buyers out there to be aware of a seller who has an Ebay site and is selling items but not sending once paid for, pocketing the cash. I brought an item and with postage came to a total of $17.70 now this might not be a large amount to anybody else but for me being on unemployment benefits it is a big amount to lose. I have done everything right as Ebay states contacting Seller x2 no response. Now Ebay won't help me because I used Afterpay to purchase the item. If they are not going to assist in problems like this why are they allowing Sellers to add this function to their sites? Afterpay has been a way that I can purchase my clothing and gifts for my grandchildren etc. with easy 4x payments I can budget. I never spend anymore than I can afford and to have someone like this seller do this is wrong. I paid for the item on 22/03/2021 and am still fighting because they should not be allowed to do this. Is this not a case of stealing?  

Yes, it is a case of theft. Unfortunately, sometimes people can get away with doing the wrong thing without suffering any consequences unless the buyer follows instructions to the letter. This may be one of those times because you have let too much time elapse.

If I were you, I'd try exactly what the countess suggested in her reply. You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying.

Your main problem though, no matter how you paid, is that you bought on 22/3/21 and this is 28/5/21, over 2 months later. With any purchase on ebay, you need to pay very careful attention to the expected delivery date and if something is not delivered in time, you need to open an ebay claim within the time limit, which is 30 days.  The seller will be given an opportunity to reply but if they can't or won't reply or provide tracking details within a few days (not sure of the exact time they are given in which to reply but it is only a matter of days so you need to keep an eye on it), you can then escalate and make a claim.

Never let any seller talk you out of opening a money back claim.

As for ebay advice to contact a seller twice-if an item has not arrived by the due date and a polite query to the seller gets no response, you don't have to wait and wait and send another message etc. You can open an ebay claim immediately and quite frankly, if something doesn't arrive, you are probably best to open your claim within a couple of weeks of it being overdue.

You have missed your chance with ebay unfortunately and unless you can get a refund from paypal, the afterpay people or your bank, you will lose your money.

As regards afterpay, I can understand why you use it but it seems, from what I have read in other replies, that it may foul things up as far as a paypal dispute goes. This is a shame because if the period for an ebay claim has expired, paypal is usually a pretty surefire way to get your refund and it extends for 180 days.

My suggestion would be that in future, think twice about using afterpay on ebay. It is probably safer on other sites eg big retail shops that also sell online. But with ebay, you're dealing with a lot of different sellers, most good but some not so reliable, as you have found.

What i would tend to do with ebay is rather than buy on afterpay, save what you would be paying as a deposit, put the 'payments' you would make away somewhere safe and when you have the full amount, then you could go ahead and look on ebay.

I'm sorry you have struck grief as no one likes to lose their money like this.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply