Item returned as instructed via ebay, no refund - seller disapp

I bought a faulty iPad from a seller that advertised it as in excellent working condition. When I contacted the seller he confessed to knowing the item was faulty. 

I initiated a return and the seller sent me a return label. I sent as instructed and the seller received the item a week ago. Immediate he relisted it (again as in excellent condition ) and sold to another poor sucker. 

Its now been about 7 days since he's received the item and sold to another person. He is now completely ignoring all my messages. 

Under the return case I have to wait until 31 May (10 days from him receiving the return) before I can ask Ebay to step in. 

Am i screwed if the dodgy seller's done a runner with the iPad and the money. I've followed all instructions from eBay /seller to the letter. Will PayPal compensate me? 

Note - the seller has 900+ feedback and has operated for a while. 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

No, you will get a refund of item and postage costs.

And you have left feedback to warn others. 

All you can do.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks mate. 

So has eBay frozen the amount on the seller's PayPal account so he can't just leave it empty as the eBay refund case gets close to ending? 

i don't get why eBay allows 10 days after the seller receives the return (and chooses not to refund)  before they step in. Increases risk of a scammer doing a runner. 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

If the scammer does a runner it will not affect you at all....ebay/paypal gives you your refund and then tries to recover it from the seller.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

eBay will take the money from the seller regardless of whether the seller has any money. It will put their account into negative and they will not be able to buy anything with PayPal until they square it up.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply