Item sent twice!

Hi

I bought a $400 tv and after I had paid, I asked the seller to post it to a different address, which they did. It arrived safely and then a week later, I get delivered another tv to my original address.

Due to the size of the tv, postage back would be very expensive. Should I just keep it as it was their mistake. What would you do??

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Item sent twice!

Good idea about not accepting the second delivery, but as I live in a rural location, couriers wont deliver to my door and will only drop items off at the local post office!

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

Just so that you are fully informed about your rights and obligations, this is what the ACCC has to say about these kinds of circumstances - it may be worth sending the link (posted after the text) to the seller, because it clearly shows what their obligations are as well. and what they stand to lose if they don't meet them:

Unsolicited products or services

When you receive products or services that you have not requested, this is called an 'unsolicited supply'.

If you receive unsolicited products or services:

• you are not required to pay for the products or services
  • you are not liable for any loss or damage resulting from a supply of unsolicited services
  • if you contact the business in writing, expressing that you do not want the products, then the business should recover the products within one month
  • if you don’t contact the business, then the business may recover the products within three months from the day after you received the products
  • you cannot unreasonably refuse to allow the supplier to recover the products
  • you may be liable to pay compensation if you wilfully damage the products during this period.

If the supplier does not collect the unsolicited products within the above timeframes, you can keep the products with no obligation to pay.

You are not entitled to keep the products if the products were not intended for you, for example, the packaging was clearly addressed to another person.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/sales-delivery/receiving-things-you-didnt-ask-for

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

bottom line is, you bought 1 tv, you paid for 1 tv.

the seller accepted your change of address.

the seller screwed up and delivered 2 tv's.

110% his responsiblity to pay return costs.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

Thanks for the info Ghost and twyngwyn. That cleared it up magnificently!

I will send the seller the link and leave it up to them. I am certinly happy to return the tv as long as they pay the costs. Sorry I gave the wrong impression with my original post . . . I would never just keep an item I had not paid for and not say anything. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

could a "return to sender" help ?

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

Couriers don't do Return to Sender unless the receiver refuses to accept the delivery.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

arrrr right...

another strike against couriers in my books then.

i get mail etc from the people who lived here before and i redirect their mail via AP "return to sender" so easy with AP .

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

i'm not a huge fan of couriers.

but theres a huge difference between AP and courier companys.

AP has post offices in just about every suburb/town so taking an item to be returned or redirected is simple.but even they wont return an item for free.

do you expect a courier who is only paid to deliver a parcel to an address to then go collect it and return it to the sender for free? a trip that may be a very long one from their depot.

if you think they should do it then try to get the fee from the original sender they have no agreement to cover this. adding that agreement would make the service no longer cost effective.

there is a system in place, if you recieve an item you didnt ask for, buy, pay for or want, its the senders responsibility to pay for return, simple.

in the case of a corier delivered item, the seller contacts the firm and organises collection and pays for it. or they forfeit the item.

its the sellers mistake that led to this particular screw up, expecting the recipient to be out of pocket is rediculous.

and as i said before, even if AP had delivered it the seller would still be up for return costs.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Keep it, it's their fault for sending you an extra package. But if you have a kind heart you would ask them for postage and packaging fees and some extra money for the time you spent if they want it back

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply