Items Bought from China are not Labelled in English

rambo-y
Community Member

I tried to send feedback to eBay, but can't find an "feedback" related link. I have been buying chemicals for my chemistry set. Some are coming from China, and they are only labelled in Chinese, which I can't read.  Even the seller details on the package don't coincide with my buying history details.  How can I tell what the items delivered is? Why can't eBay Australia instruct its sellers in foreign countries to clearly label the items they send in English.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Are you even sure they'll get through Customs?

Guess you'll be using google translate - a lot

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

If you're going to be mixing chemicals and you are unsure of the composition or strength of them I really hope you don't live anywhere close to me, otherwise I might start digging a bomb shelter............

Spoiler
..........I might start digging one anyway.............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

You have the AXE

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Have you asked the seller? Scan the labels and send them pics. Even if they don't speak much English, they know how to use a dictionary, while for you if you try to find a translation in a dictionary or Google, it will be difficult if you don't know how to look up or enter characters. I know because once I have been in this situation, trying to find out what something in Chinese meant...

Maybe someone who speaks Chinese can even help you here...

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Get Google Lens.

That way you only need to point your phone camera at something and it will translate it immediately.

Google Lens - Search What You See

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

You have the AXE

Yeah, but it's not much chop (pun intended) at diggin' holes Dave.

.............and it should be The Axe...........

20210615_113256.jpg

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Looks like it would dig holes. Or at least turn trees into digging implements.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

My goodness, something coming out of China, with only Chinese writing? Oh the horror! 

Why should eBay force sellers in foreign countries to translate everything into English? Would you be translating everything into Dutch, or Mandarin, or Spanish, if you were a seller that sold overseas? I thought so.

Some of my smaller items I have listed for postage worldwide (with some exclusions). Buyers from those countries have no issues using Google Translate if they wish to translate into their own language. Or, if they use Google Chrome, they can right click and translate the whole page at once without cutting and pasting.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply