Jacked up positive feedback

jwmcd55
Community Member

Wonder how prevalent jacked up positive feedback is on Ebay.By this I mean,I've noticed a couple of sellers that joined Ebay and proceeded to buy 25 items from China with a maximum price of $1.50 (including postage).So in under a week from joining they have a reasonable feedback.One of these guys then slipped into selling 1/2 priced electronics with the clockwork negative feedback showing up a week or so later,his 25 feedback slipped to 5 in no time but he's scored about $1700 in the process.Punters must just look at the number and don't actually read the feedback,buying from a seller with under about 30 feedback this could be a bad move.

Anybody noticed the same?....

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Jacking up feedback can be nice work for a Seller if you can get it. This is a common practice and many big time eBay Sellers. I tried selling MP3 tracks for a while. Found that people were happy to leave feedback even without getting the full tracks - because they liked the content.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Jacking up feedback can be nice work for a Seller if you can get it. This is a common practice and many big time eBay Sellers. I tried selling MP3 tracks for a while. Found that people were happy to leave feedback even without getting the full tracks - because they liked the content.

In some ways, feedback is an illusion. The buyer is an audience member paying to be part of a show. Aslong as the product of the show turns out half-decent, they applaud the illusion. You can be a magician explaining your show very well but without that 'spark' that the top illusionists have to their credit. The audience member/buyer may still get exactly what they paid for but they will not be as happy and likely boo a little. They want magic.

Maybe I went a bit too far with the analogy... ๐Ÿ˜

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

jwmcd55 ,

"One of these guys then slipped into selling 1/2 priced electronics with the clockwork negative feedback showing up a week or so later,his 25 feedback slipped to 5 in no time but he's scored about $1700 in the process"

Feedback manipulation is very common amongst Scammers and these sorts of listings are reported daily to eBay Trust and Safety.

New members should read and bookmark this Red Flags link:

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=red-flags

and report suspect Fraudulent listings :

Report item >Listing Practices >Fraudulent listing activities>

You suspect listing is fraudulent >Continue>Send Report

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

When choosing a seller if you are going to rely on feedback you have to do more than look at the number and percentage, you have to actually go to the feedback page and see what their feedback as a seller of the item you are interested in is like.

Your sellers with 25 feedback all for buying should be viewed the same way you would a zero feedback seller.

If they are scammers then their listings will probably have all the usual signs that would have you running a mile if they had no feedback at all.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply