Just received a scam? call saying I had been charged $300+ for an iPhone which would be dispatched i

I just received a scam? phone call saying that I had been charged $300+ for an iPhone which would be dispatched within 24 hours.  If I did not place this order I was told to press #1 to speak to eBay customer service.  I then hung up, but if I proceeded I have no doubt I would have been asked to provide paypal, credit card or other information.   Please alert everyone to this scam.   By the way - I DID NOT BUY AN iPHONE!

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Just received a scam? call saying I had been charged $300+ for an iPhone which would be dispatch

I think cezm has probably dealt with the issue of such bot/robo messages in the roughly 17 months since posting...

To see the date of a post, look on the right top of the post, and it will say something like (for your post):

on ‎20-04-2022 2:03 PM

For the post by cezm, it states:

on ‎04-12-2020 03:11 PM

Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

Re: Just received a scam? call saying I had been charged $300+ for an iPhone which would be dispatch

rnene
Community Member

I got the call as well, I talked to them. Below is the scammers number, you can actually call this nmber and some one poses as ebay support staff.  I wonder how do they get proper Australian number to run the scam.

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

Why would you bother engaging in conversation with these idiots.  As sandypebbles said they now have confirmation of a live number.  You can guarantee you will get plenty more of them.

Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

New scam, although there have been similar scams before, but this is apparently more "sinister": Australia Post's urgent warning over sinister scam: 'Delete immediately' (yahoo.com)

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

My housemate has had about a dozen of those in the past few days 

Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

Really smart idea to suggest people call it

Not!

Might want to keep a close eye on the phone bill now 

Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

It is definitely a good idea to have the Australia Post app on one’s phone, and to check there for any AP delivery updates.

I often get scam emails and text messages with similar m.o., and although they may look initially convincing, there are some tell-tale signs. I go full-Dalek on them. “Exterminate! Exterminate!”

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

@daydreams_12 wrote:

Why would you bother engaging in conversation with these idiots.  As sandypebbles said they now have confirmation of a live number.  You can guarantee you will get plenty more of them.

If the number rings, it's a "live number". If it goes to message bank, it's a "live number". If someone answers, it's a "live number".

Always makes me cackle when people bang on about scams, and answering your phone confirms to a scammer that they have a "live number". Regardless of whether you answer or not, the simple fact that the phone rings when the scammers dial the number, confirms to them that they have a "live number", regardless of anyone answering, or answering and "engaging.

I love playing with scammers on the phone. Doing so certainly doesn't increase the amount of scam calls I get. I would be lucky to get one or 2 a year, despite me "engaging" with them and pretending to play their game, without pressing 1.

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

My brother just says “yeah I did order that, when is it getting here?” 
then hangs up.

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

Just got the same pre-recorded Ebay message about the $300+ order saying to press one on the keypad.... bla bla 

I message bombed them back  (I sent about 400 sms's saying "pressing one now" and got a reply telling me to, Quote ... Go kill Myself 😅

So it's not just a bot doing this is actually some idiot on a cellphone so Have some fun with them 👍

Message 30 of 33
Latest reply