Lack of communication, no direct ph number for CS

I have been pulling my hair out, trying to deal with the fact that ebay CS while listening to me explain that  an unwanted product was "returned in person" by myself, is still being requested to be sent by mail for which tracking would apply.  The automatic system is demanding a tracking number.  If it doesn't get it, the return request case will be closed on 22/23 Sept.  That's nuts.   I explained my return in person, to the customer service people, who said yesterday they would ask CS to call me by phone, and it never happened.   I am frustrated to buggery that Ebay has such high disdain for both sellers and buyers that they would close their phone lines down and make us beg for a callback.  It wastes everyone's time, infuriates Ebay members and in this case is resulting in a possible strike against my account, because they are just not listening to me.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

what is the item number, please?

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

eBay’s returns process is completely automated, bot-driven. You are expected to return via traceable means.

If you don’t act according to the requirements of eBay’s Money Back Guarantee, you won’t be refunded.

Have you read the MBG policy help page? It outlines exactly what you must do.

You've put yourself into a hobble. How can eBay know that the item’s been returned? They require tracking with a “delivered” status.

eBay’s call centre had been closed (largely) since the beginning of the pandemic. You need to use Live Chat. You can try contacting Live Chat CS reps during business hours and ask to speak to a supervisor. I am dubious about it being resolved satisfactorily, though.

Just as a seller can’t just claim to have dropped off an item to the buyer, or else the seller will lose any INR case, the same holds true for buyers making a return.

You’ve gone about this in the wrong way. But give the Live Chat option another try, and perhaps give the seller a call to ask them to let confirm receiving the item.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

The correct way to have done it would be to determine if you were even liable for returning the item.

Firstly, If the product was defective, then the seller would have had to send you a shipping label or postage funds (if registered overseas) and wanted the item back.

Secondly, if it was simply a change of mind return, then you are responsible for postage, but definitely have to send tracked so that Ebay knows you have returned it.

The buyers guide would refer to all of this, if you had read it.

Now, having simply sent an item back and not followed procedure, you have nobody but yourself to blame. Ebay's rules, tools and guidelines are all there at your fingertips, but you have to follow them if you want to see your money back.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

As you say yourself, it is the automatic system that asks you for a tracking number. You will have to try live chat if you want to talk to eBay, but you will need a proof that you have returned the item of course. Or do you mean that you have already contacted them when you say that the "customer service people" said somebody would call you? If they don't call you, you could try live chat again and ask for a supervisor (usually not available on the weekend). At any rate I hope you asked for a receipt or any other proof when you returned the item in person. If the seller is honest and helpful they will confirm, but this is unfortunately not always the case, so in general it is better to ask for a receipt.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

If you 'returned it in person', why didn't you get a refund 'in person'?

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Good question.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

It's a great question.

Non humanoid states it is an unwanted item, not that it is a defective item, so you'd think the seller could have refunded on the spot if they allowed a return.

Unless of course they said to the buyer that as it was a paypal payment, they would refund via paypal.

The pivotal question I guess is-has the buyer been refunded?

Their concern seems to be all about ebay asking for a tracking number and the fact the return request will time out and they may get a strike. They don't mention missing out on their refund.

I'm wondering though if that would even be the case that there would be a strike? Surely ebay doesn't issue strikes to buyers if a claim times out? I thought it would only be for unpaid items & that sort of thing. Could be wrong.

So if nonhumanoid has been refunded, then he or she doesn't need to worry about the return request. The whole thing could be closed and will be closed in a day or two anyway.

If he hasn't been refunded, then, as everyone else has said, he is in a world of bother as there is no proof the item was returned and if a seller in conversation promised a paypal refund, no written proof of that either.

This was always a business transaction so it needed to be handled that way. If the buyer was returning it in person in order to save on postage costs, he should have asked for some sort of receipt to prove it was received. Not sure even that would help, but it would be better than nothing.

The seller doesn't need the 'tracking number' before he can make a refund. If he knows he has the item, he can just refund. If he has the item but is refusing to refund, that's on him. 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

It's a great question.

Non humanoid states it is an unwanted item, not that it is a defective item, so you'd think the seller could have refunded on the spot if they allowed a return.

Unless of course they said to the buyer that as it was a paypal payment, they would refund via paypal.

Or even a cc payment. I think refunds have to go back to the original source of payment?

The pivotal question I guess is-has the buyer been refunded?

Their concern seems to be all about ebay asking for a tracking number and the fact the return request will time out and they may get a strike. They don't mention missing out on their refund.

I'm wondering though if that would even be the case that there would be a strike? Surely ebay doesn't issue strikes to buyers if a claim times out? I thought it would only be for unpaid items & that sort of thing. Could be wrong.

I am not 100% sure, but I think you are right. And I think strikes don't even happen automatically (not always), but only if the seller cancels with the reason that the buyer has not paid (although sometimes they might have automatic cancellations after 4 days in their settings, but it is not eBay that cancels)? I could be wrong too though.

So if nonhumanoid has been refunded, then he or she doesn't need to worry about the return request. The whole thing could be closed and will be closed in a day or two anyway.

If he hasn't been refunded, then, as everyone else has said, he is in a world of bother as there is no proof the item was returned and if a seller in conversation promised a paypal refund, no written proof of that either.

This was always a business transaction so it needed to be handled that way. If the buyer was returning it in person in order to save on postage costs, he should have asked for some sort of receipt to prove it was received. Not sure even that would help, but it would be better than nothing.

The seller doesn't need the 'tracking number' before he can make a refund. If he knows he has the item, he can just refund. If he has the item but is refusing to refund, that's on him. 

I do think, like you, that the buyer wanted to save on postage costs. As the item was unwanted and not defective, he or she would have had to pay for return postage, and they probably live near the seller, so they thought returning the item in person would save them money.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Yes, of course

The call center was closed due to Covid.........................but REALLY it was closed due to disdain for buyers and sellers 

Had you had followed the correct procedure there would have been no issue 

Did the seller even accept change of mind returns for the 'unwanted' item?

If you choose to do your own thing rather than follow policy, that is your choice alone 

Why not get a refund from this person in person?

How did you expect to prove to eBay you had returned it?

They do not accept 'say so' as proof 

Not sure what you expect CS staff to do when you ignore the proper process

They just read what their script tells them to say

As phone staff used to

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply