Listing prices vary greatly

Obviously we're all aware that there are some sellers that actually WANT to sell their product and others that insist on receiving top dollar or no sale. I'm the type that wants to move stuff on, give a good deal and be a reputable seller on eBay, but of course, others don't see the benefit like I do.
I'm tired of examining and comparing products when, if sellers did their own research, we'll all be much better off to ensure we're getting a fair deal. The idea of eBay was not to be business oriented, although I understand that many out there think it's a great way to earn profit, but eBay originated from the ideal that we could trade possessions that we don't want or no longer require, instead of throwing them out. So how people believe they can charge completely unrealistic values for items that are listed in multiples really confuses me.
Most people are happy to move their unwanted products for a realistic price, but when second-hand goods are priced at almost retail value, that is when I start getting a little annoyed at the greedy stubborn advertisers that populate a large portion of the eBay community.
Anyhow, I'm not sure, maybe it's just me, but I really don't understand why people get so agitated when you offer a very realistic price in comparison to the current market, because once again the ideal of eBay wasn't just to trade up or become instantly rich, but rather just get a reasonable price for an item we no longer enjoy or benefit from.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

that 'ideal' you referred to vanished years ago....welcome to cutthroat 2022

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

YOU have total control over how much you list your items for.

I fail to understand your complaint - if others are listing similar items to you, yours will sell. Unless buyers think they are undervalued and might have undisclosed issues.

Unless I missed something in your novel. You SEEM to be complaining that other sellers are charging too much...

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

OP, the price you set is totally up to you.

It follows that the price set by any other seller is up to him/her.

Buyers will make their purchasing choices according their own particular buying criteria, and price is not necessarily the only (or major) deciding factor.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Drop your prices to 30-40% of RRP, for new, unused, excess goods, and see how many times you get accused of selling fakes/counterfeit product.   Try throwing in  10-20% extra product Free, after purchase, and see how many times  buyers thank you for the freebies.  (0)

As far as I am concerned nowadays, buyers can pay my set prices, or shop elsewhere.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I'm not sure what your problem is. That sounds rude but I mean it in the literal sense.

You can set the price and obviously you do that, but what do you mean by 'people get agitated'?

Do you mean you have had angry messages from other sellers?

You surely would not have complaints from buyers?

I think 20 years ago, ebay was a site where a lot of people sold things from aound the house, things they may not have needed. Quite possibly most sellers didn't expect to get rich.

But when you talk about ebay, for ebay itself, it was always a business. Always. It was never a community service. Ebay set up a site where people could sell things and ebay made money by charging a commission on the listings and sales.

Ebay has evolved, changed, and is quite happy to have any seller list their goods. Ebay in fact probably prefers people who have a small business set up, for 2 reasons

1. The seller will know how ebay works, they will be familiar with it because they have steady sales.

2. Most sellers like that will have new stock and new stock is probably less likely to cause problems, compared to second hand items.

Ebay is a business, they want commission, so the 'home sellers are no longer the bulk of ebay's business.

A lot of that has moved to marketplace.  I really don't think this market makes up 'a large portion of the ebay community.' I'd be inclined to say most sellers are businesses now.

No buyer is going to be 'agitated' if you have a bargain price on your goods but I used to sell years back and if I had my time over again, I'd ask a bit more than we did for a lot of items. I think a lot of buyers equate price with quality and while you don't want to ask over the top prices, make the price respectable.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

So basically sellers should accept 'whatever' price a buyer thinks they is 'fair'

It sounds as if by 'very reasonable price' you really mean bugga all because eBay is some kind of flea market/garage sale/op shop type set up

And the seller ought to be delighted to get such an offer

Is that the gist? 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Exactly, sandypebbles.

Most items listed on ebay these days are from businesses, very small to large.

They are business oriented.

Their prices for exactly the same item may vary, but I think that has pretty much always been the case in the past too, that a buyer needs to compare before buying.

'Fair' price is a bit vague, open to different opinions. If I consider something overpriced, I just don't buy it.

But if a seller then sells it at that, I guess someone else wanted it enough to pay it.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

We're gonna eBay like it's 1998 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply