Looks like some mutants have been let loose on eBay again.

xb50gs
Community Member

I've never dished out so many negatives as I have lately and nearly all over the same thing, sellers not accepting paypal.

I normally let the stupid comments slide eg: I accept paypal if you pay the fees, depending on how bad I want the item, and how honest the seller is. Usually I respond with a stern ticking off stating that they can't do that, but occasionallly, if its a low priced item, it has reasonable postage and I just can't find the item anywhere else, I will give in and pay the 3% (Part of the fun of owning a 38yo muscle car)

However, when someone states categorically they WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL (and make no mention of it in their auction) I send the payment through. Typically it is unclaimed, as they use a dodgy email address, sometimes its refunded. Those sellers get a negative as I'm just sick and tired of it. I don't waste time emaiing backwards and forwards, as the outcome is always the same, so I put a end to it and be over and done. I've got proof I tried to pay, they refused it, end of story.

Well, my latest 3 loonies must have chewed their chain off and got to the computer as they've been nuts!

FIrst one sent 3 emails saying NO PAYPAL blah blah blah, so I replied that I'm very sorry, I'm away at work and can only pay with paypal and after being ignored and my payment being unclaimed, I left a negative when I got home and moved on, so I thought. This pig phoned me, asked me what the F I thought I was doing, carried right on, whinging about fees, why should he have to pay fees on paypal when they do nothing, etc etc, but when I said that I was a seller and pay fees for paypal on items sometimes over $1000, his response was 'well, thats just too bad' so I told him same deal for him and he erupts. Calls me a F and a C, starts raging, I stay calm (somehow) ask him if he's finished and hang the phone up.

The next one is worse. I buy a car part, pay with paypal, its pending, then get emails saying please pay with bank deposit as its safer. Yep, sorry mate, money is already sent through to paypal, sign in and claim it. No, I put a false email there so I dont pay fees. Oh, great, here we go again.

Wasn't in the mood to stuff around so I told him not interested, cancel the sale. Nope. He's going to force me to buy it. He says paypal is now current and he expects me to pay a $40 fee to use it (on a $280 sale)

So again, I'm wasting time explaining policies which dropkicks agree to abide by when signing up to sell on eBay. Anyway, I had to leave for work so I send one last email saying that i'll pay the total price, not a penny more and if I don't hear from him by 12pm that day, i'll be away at work for 2 weeks (I'm not) and i'm not interested. Reply comes through at 5pm (despite emails coming every 5mins beforehand) saying that I HAVE to pay as he's sent the item to me.

I sent a reply saying if he's dumb enough to send it to me after I told him I would be away with work, he's dumber than I thought and I would return his item once I got back from work.

Oh, goody, now he's going to get his solicitor onto me. I told him I kept all correspondence from him and he has broken the contract by trying to impose fees that he's not entitled to. So for the next 4 days I got a torrent of abuse which was all forwarded to eBay, ranging from name calling to threats to demands for compensation and loss of profit (Huh??) which made my head spin, as the item was relisted for $150 more than I originally paid for it!

Then there was another goose who had feedback of 91.7 and negs for item not received, item arrived faulty, etc, who expected me to pay via bank deposit. Um, No thanks. Paid again with paypal and its refunded to me with a note saying it is his ex gf's paypal and he doesn't have access to it (how did he refund it then??) and asks for bank deposit, again.

I sent a reply saying that there is no way i'll pay someone with less than 100% feedback and comments about faulty/missing item with bank deposit. Again, i'm told if I pay the the fees I can use paypal, which I refuse. The next email tells me I have problems if I want to use paypal as it isn't safe.

Why do the loonies seems to appear every few months! and why do I cop them all??

Actually, on a positive note, I bought a new car for my parents off eBay and the guy was awesome. He delivered it to my mates place as I was away that night, it was 100% as described, he turned up right on time, was really good to deal with and there was no problems what so ever. I left him an extra $25 for his troubles and he was wrapped.

I guess there are still a lot of great sellers out there, but gee, i've has a fair whack of nutters lately!

Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Lol Beagles I have to agree with you, I would say at least one in four of all my non Asian sellers will try to wriggle out of accepting Paypal.

I don't get into an argument with them, I pay, I tell them to send the item or refund (or I cancel if unclaimed) and then leave them a neg.

I delete any further emails without reading and I have a loud whistle next to the phone just in case they ring up and try abusng me :^O

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

I liked this bit - please pay with bank deposit as its safer.

Yeah for the seller, and only if they're not prepared to rectify the issue if things go awry.

Most of my sales are $4-6, with postage $6.50.

Take the middle figure $5. I pay 50c to eBay in FVF, then 58c to Paypal, so it costs me 21.6% of sale price in post-sale fees, not counting listing and shop fees.

I work with that.

You might mention to #2 that Paypal fees on $280 are a whopping $6.82, not $40.

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

Seriously, beagles, I'd just be forwarding their emails to Paypal. They supposedly have a policy that sellers offering PP are not allowed to charge a surcharge for it, so should wipe their accounts.

Seriously. ?:|:^O

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

xb50gs
Community Member

I let the genius know that the paypal fee was about $8, and he charged me $40 postage on an item that would have sent for around $25 so he's actually in front, but that didn't register. He kept claiming that the actual paypal charge was $40.

I forwarded the emails to eBay who said they'd take the appropriate action and all his listings were canceled, so perhaps they did. Who knows.

The total pig who phoned me was just whinging and whining about the fee and I told him that he paid approx $1.75 on the transaction, charged $10 postage on an item that would be sent as a small parcel for $6, again, he's in front. He starts playing dumb and then gets abusive, whinging at me asking why he should pay a paypal fee for them doing nothing etc. and I just told him the rules are the same for everyone. I quizzed him on some of the negs he had for item arrived broken and item not arrived and asked if they got a refund, neither buyer got a refund because they didn't take insurance. I told him that was the exact reason I would use paypal.

Hopefully they've gone back under their rock but maybe this bit of rain has flushed them out again.

Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

It's amazing how some people will behave when all they can think about is how much more money they could have got if a buyer didn't pay via PayPal - especially when that extra is amounts like $1.75 and $6-odd. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Glass half-empty types, I guess. Not saying what I think the glass is half-full of... :8} :^O

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

I have a loud whistle next to the phone just in case they ring up and try abusng me

You should buy one of those mini air horns PJ... If you're going to send them half deaf you might as well finish the job off and give them tinnitus as well :^O

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

Without trying to belittle your whinge, beagles, if I was one of them and came across this thread labelling me a mutant, pig, etc I doubt I would be terribly sympathetic to your plight.

Courtesy begins in the mind after all. If it was me, I would just do what was necessary to resolve the situation (like buying from somebody else), and move on. I certainly wouldn't post my lack of tolerance in public.

But that's just me.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

Can't be bothered to go back and find it again but wasn't that mutant pig comment left by one of the numpty sellers as a feedback follow up? Don't think it had anything to do with Beagles.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

Can't be bothered to go back and find it again but wasn't that mutant pig comment left by one of the numpty sellers as a feedback follow up? Don't think it had anything to do with Beagles.

The thread title I believe is beagles'. This from post #4 by beagles - The total pig would tend to nail it.

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply