Looks like some mutants have been let loose on eBay again.

xb50gs
Community Member

I've never dished out so many negatives as I have lately and nearly all over the same thing, sellers not accepting paypal.

I normally let the stupid comments slide eg: I accept paypal if you pay the fees, depending on how bad I want the item, and how honest the seller is. Usually I respond with a stern ticking off stating that they can't do that, but occasionallly, if its a low priced item, it has reasonable postage and I just can't find the item anywhere else, I will give in and pay the 3% (Part of the fun of owning a 38yo muscle car)

However, when someone states categorically they WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL (and make no mention of it in their auction) I send the payment through. Typically it is unclaimed, as they use a dodgy email address, sometimes its refunded. Those sellers get a negative as I'm just sick and tired of it. I don't waste time emaiing backwards and forwards, as the outcome is always the same, so I put a end to it and be over and done. I've got proof I tried to pay, they refused it, end of story.

Well, my latest 3 loonies must have chewed their chain off and got to the computer as they've been nuts!

FIrst one sent 3 emails saying NO PAYPAL blah blah blah, so I replied that I'm very sorry, I'm away at work and can only pay with paypal and after being ignored and my payment being unclaimed, I left a negative when I got home and moved on, so I thought. This pig phoned me, asked me what the F I thought I was doing, carried right on, whinging about fees, why should he have to pay fees on paypal when they do nothing, etc etc, but when I said that I was a seller and pay fees for paypal on items sometimes over $1000, his response was 'well, thats just too bad' so I told him same deal for him and he erupts. Calls me a F and a C, starts raging, I stay calm (somehow) ask him if he's finished and hang the phone up.

The next one is worse. I buy a car part, pay with paypal, its pending, then get emails saying please pay with bank deposit as its safer. Yep, sorry mate, money is already sent through to paypal, sign in and claim it. No, I put a false email there so I dont pay fees. Oh, great, here we go again.

Wasn't in the mood to stuff around so I told him not interested, cancel the sale. Nope. He's going to force me to buy it. He says paypal is now current and he expects me to pay a $40 fee to use it (on a $280 sale)

So again, I'm wasting time explaining policies which dropkicks agree to abide by when signing up to sell on eBay. Anyway, I had to leave for work so I send one last email saying that i'll pay the total price, not a penny more and if I don't hear from him by 12pm that day, i'll be away at work for 2 weeks (I'm not) and i'm not interested. Reply comes through at 5pm (despite emails coming every 5mins beforehand) saying that I HAVE to pay as he's sent the item to me.

I sent a reply saying if he's dumb enough to send it to me after I told him I would be away with work, he's dumber than I thought and I would return his item once I got back from work.

Oh, goody, now he's going to get his solicitor onto me. I told him I kept all correspondence from him and he has broken the contract by trying to impose fees that he's not entitled to. So for the next 4 days I got a torrent of abuse which was all forwarded to eBay, ranging from name calling to threats to demands for compensation and loss of profit (Huh??) which made my head spin, as the item was relisted for $150 more than I originally paid for it!

Then there was another goose who had feedback of 91.7 and negs for item not received, item arrived faulty, etc, who expected me to pay via bank deposit. Um, No thanks. Paid again with paypal and its refunded to me with a note saying it is his ex gf's paypal and he doesn't have access to it (how did he refund it then??) and asks for bank deposit, again.

I sent a reply saying that there is no way i'll pay someone with less than 100% feedback and comments about faulty/missing item with bank deposit. Again, i'm told if I pay the the fees I can use paypal, which I refuse. The next email tells me I have problems if I want to use paypal as it isn't safe.

Why do the loonies seems to appear every few months! and why do I cop them all??

Actually, on a positive note, I bought a new car for my parents off eBay and the guy was awesome. He delivered it to my mates place as I was away that night, it was 100% as described, he turned up right on time, was really good to deal with and there was no problems what so ever. I left him an extra $25 for his troubles and he was wrapped.

I guess there are still a lot of great sellers out there, but gee, i've has a fair whack of nutters lately!

Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

xb50gs
Community Member

Yes I left a follow up calling him a pig. After he phoned me and called me a F-ing C several times over the phone, along with other disgraceful things. I was pretty tame considering. I didn't swear or raise my voice and feedback was honest. He was a pig. The funniest thing was, after his torrent of verbal abuse, he told me he was sending a request to change feedback and I better do it! Um, no, you disgraceful excuse for a human, I won't. And I put in the request exactly how he spoke to me on the phone and reported him to eBay for abusing the contact information system.

The other person sent threats ranging from 'i know where you live', although not spelled correctly, to 'i hope i meet you and f-you up' and all other stupid things, along with threats of sending a laywer, debt collector, etc etc. Good, I'm sure they'd love to see they kind of tactics their client uses, the threats they sent and also where they breeched the contract by refusing an accepted payment method and trying to impose a fee to use it.

The third seller was OK, didn't threaten or get abusive but still told me everything was my fault etc. I may have left a neutral for him, can't remember. But it took a week of waiting and me to email him before he told me that he didn't accept paypal. It was a part I needed for a customer, who's money I had taken, which I had to refund and find another part.

Unfortunately, its not always a matter of buy elsewhere. As I said, I have a 38yo car and if I find a part that I need, I buy it as it might be another 6 months before one comes up for sale. When I saw this manifold and carb for $280 I bought it, as I have the same manifold and it cost me $500 about 10 years ago.

IMO, the first two are mutant pigs. I wouldn't dream phoning someone and abusing them when I am totally in the wrong, and to send threats of physical violence over email is equaly as bad and bloody stupid as I have evidence.

As responsible eBay sellers, we should, and do, familiarise ourselves with eBay policy and keep up to date with rules. Its our job to adapt to the changes eBay makes and if we feel that strongly about it, we find elsewhere to list our items. Simple.

Personally I find paypal convenient, although at times frustrating. I don't penalize buyers if they choose to pay that way, and I don't harp on about eBay policies etc in my TOS. I actually prefer paypal as I don't have to log in and check my internet banking 16 times to see if the payment has gone through.

I'm sure the  same sellers who abuse me for paying with paypal don't mind walking into a small convenience store, or petrol station and paying for the sunday papers with their eftpos card. Who cares if the owner has to pay a dialling fee, site charges and a lease and commission on each sale, and I'm sure if the shop owner asked them to pay the 50c fee they'd throw a wobbly and walk out, just as they would if the shop owner told them they couldnt have the papers until the money cleared in his bank account. Why? Because the shop offers eftpos for their convenience, or because they have to, in order to compete. Same deal here, they have to offer paypal in order to sell.

Message 11 of 35
Latest reply

You've hit some good ones, thats for sure.

However where you mentioned you bought a car and paid via paypal - l'd not accept that payment.

Why?

Whilst l know there is no paypal protection for pick ups, it would be so easy for the buyer to collect the car and then do a credit card charge back.

Seller has lost the car, his money and then needs to do a heck of a lot of paperwork to get his/her money back.

Not saying you would, of course. But l would insist on cash on pick up of the car.

It was a car part not a car:-)

Message 12 of 35
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Where does the OP say that he paid with paypal for the car?  He states that he left extra moneey for the seller who went out of his way to deliver the car..that does not indicate that paypal ws involved in the transaction.

Message 13 of 35
Latest reply

Unfortunately, its not always a matter of buy elsewhere. As I said, I have a 38yo car and if I find a part that I need, I buy it as it might be another 6 months before one comes up for sale.

Sounds familiar ๐Ÿ™‚

I used to buy car parts for my Dad when he was restoring one of his cars. We came across quite a number of sellers who didn't accept Paypal, were hostile in emails, and excessively overcharged on postage, but thankfully never phoned us.

I still remember one who reckoned *I* was dodgy as I asked a P&H question with my selling ID (by accident) but bought with my buying ID - he quoted a reasonable amount, but when I won it it quadrupled and then some. When I objected and pointed to his listing (as he'd ticked the box to show the Q&A in his auction when he answered my question) he went completely nuts, auction bombing everything I had listed (mostly BIN) and harrassing via email several times a day.

Then he backed right off all of a sudden.

I'd reported him for a whole bunch of offenses that I don't remember anymore. Being such an inexperienced seller he thought the notices were coming from me. Like I could be bothered with that, lol.

Unfortunately that car part was as rare as so not easy to just go find another one.

More recently we still found rude sellers, sellers that can't spell (which I find irritating), not accepting Paypal, quoting ridiculous postage among other things. In the end we mostly stuck with the bigger sellers, the ones who were clearly running a business as they were the friendliest and most helpful.

These days we don't bother with eBay at all for any car related things. I've been a seller in that category which was interesting and far better than being a buyer ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 14 of 35
Latest reply

xb50gs
Community Member

Yes I make sure I put all the loonies on my BBL, I seldom list but its not worth some monkey bidding and not buying just to get back at me for something they feel I wronged them for.

One of the items the seller refused paypal for has been listed and relisted and relisted at least 6 times now, so the $1.80 odd he would have paid in paypal fees has well and truly been eaten up by listing fees and time wasted answering emails. I paid him the instant I won and he refunded it within 3 minutes, it would have been easier to sit and stew on it for 5 minutes and post it off. He overcharged about $5 on postage anyway!

I don't see the big deal. Obviously it comes down to whether you want the sale or not. If someone makes the payment and the price is right, grit your teeth and shake your head wishing they'd paid with bank deposit or in stamps or whatever else you'd prefer and send the item off.

Only  the dodgy sellers need to be worried about paypal, but unfortunately sometimes I browse eBay on my lunch break and as I'm on my phone, I can't always view full descriptions for some reason, and I miss the 'NO PAYPAL' crap spammed on the page and bid or buy before I can view it on the computer if its a really good buy, or a really hard part to find.

Message 15 of 35
Latest reply

nanna_bunny_slippers
Community Member

It's not the fees that put people off Paypal so much as the increased risk of fraud. Like it or not, bank deposits are safer and that is why many sellers prefer it. I've always felt sorry for the sellers on these boards who say they prefer to be paid by Paypal because of the buyer protection. Me, I prefer to look after my buyers regardless of how they paid. A seller who needs to be forced to do the right thing is a seller to be avoided.

Message 16 of 35
Latest reply

It's not the fees that put people off Paypal so much as the increased risk of fraud. Like it or not, bank deposits are safer and that is why many sellers prefer it. I've always felt sorry for the sellers on these boards who say they prefer to be paid by Paypal because of the buyer protection. Me, I prefer to look after my buyers regardless of how they paid. A seller who needs to be forced to do the right thing is a seller to be avoided.

Because the seller doesn't have to adhere to any reasonable conditions of sale.

IMO a seller who avoids Paypal due to the buyer protection it provides is a seller to be avoided. Like the ones who state that they only accept Paypal if the buyer pays extra to cover the seller's risk.

My question would be - what happens if an item goes missing and the buyer didn't use Paypal?

My answer would be - stiff buyer, you didn't pay for protection.

As I am an honest seller, I welcome Paypal payments. That gives the buyer confidence in the transaction. If, never happened yet, something goes awry and they didn't use PP, then the BONUS for them is that I'm ethical.

I doubt that could be used as a blanket description for eBay sellers.

Message 17 of 35
Latest reply

nanna_bunny_slippers
Community Member

I agree with you that some sellers need to accept Paypal to inspire buyer confidence. Sadly that's a dangerous thing and it leads many buyers into making questionable bids. Paypal certainly has its place (particularly when trading with overseas) but when buyers are so worried about a seller that they feel the need to pay by Paypal that's when they need to do the sensible thing and look for a different seller.

Message 18 of 35
Latest reply

nanna_bunny_slippers
Community Member

Last word. It is no accident that those who are the most obsessed with Paypal encounter the most problems. Me, I sometimes use Paypal but usually use internet bank deposit and I have not experienced the myriad regular problems that so many of the regular posters complain/brag about. An eBayer who experiences regular problems really needs to take a good look at what - and who - the common denominator is.

Message 19 of 35
Latest reply

I'll go with the who.

In three and a bit years of online buying and selling, I've never given nor gotten a neg, never had an item go missing, either way, have had, on average, 2 NPBs a year (but none this year, so that average will go down).

I don't care how my buyers pay me, as long as they pay.

But sellers who require registered for Paypal payment, even if the item is worth $5, leave me wondering about what their response will be if the item goes astray and is NOT paid with Paypal.

If I was a buyer, THAT would have me looking elsewhere.

Message 20 of 35
Latest reply