Making an offer

tate963
Community Member

I made an offer on an item not thinking I was then commited to buying. I thought that I would have the oppertunity to confirm my bid if it was accepted.

On being advised that it could take days for the seller to respond i decided to go ahead and purchase at the full price from the same seller.

The seller is telling me that they "cannot do something now after the unpaid strike is opened"

I now have the item I required and don't need a second one.

What can I do??

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Making an offer

It appears your seller is either a novice or being quite unpleasant, particularly as you subsequently purchased the item at full price from him/her.  He or she can terminate the dispute, cancel the transaction, and have his/her fees refunded by eBay.  Perhaps you could contact him/her and politely request this is done?  If he/she refuses, you have the option of leaving negative or neutral feedback for the item you have purchased from him/her and choosing more accommodating sellers to deal with in future.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Making an offer

I made an offer on an item not thinking I was then commited to buying. I thought that I would have the oppertunity to confirm my bid if it was accepted.

You're not the first member to say that, but to be honest I'm not really sure why - it tells you that you're committed to purchase if the seller accepts your offer, and it can't really work any other way.

If I were you, I would have withdrawn my offer before making the BIN purchase at full price. Failing that, I would have asked the seller to (please) cancel the sale if I left it too late...

On the other hand, if I were the seller I would have sent you a message before accepting the offer to confirm if you wanted the second item.

That's all assuming there was no auto-accept enabled, where the sale takes place immediately if the offer falls within the right range.

At any rate, what kind of communication took place between you and the seller in the time between the sale and the UPI case? The seller may have the dispute process automated, so if they didn't know you weren't going to pay for the additional item, then it would have been opened automatically after a set period (anywhere from 4 days onward).

They are right, in that once it's opened they can't close it (and get a refund of the final value fees) before another 4 days.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Making an offer

So, if the seller terminates the dispute, he/she can't then cancel the transaction and receive a FVF refund?  I wasn't aware of this, however, personally, were it me, I'd take the small loss on the fees, a happy customer, positive feedback on the item I did sell, and the possibility of repeat business over those few dollars...any day of the week.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Making an offer

So, if the seller terminates the dispute, he/she can't then cancel the transaction and receive a FVF refund?

That's right - if they close the dispute early, or for any other reason than non-payment after the 4 days, they will still be charged the FVF. Now that the dispute is open, their choice may be affected by the value of the item (with FVF around 7% of the sale price, lower if they have a featured store, or higher with no store / if it was a media item, the fee could be an amount they're not prepared to wear). I don't use the automated dispute process, so I don't actually know if it can be closed manually once open - I can't see why not, but it's possible it can't be.

As I said, I probably would have taken a different course of action if I were the seller (NPI disputes are generally the last thing I consider doing), but in saying that, based only on the information given, there's probably a few things both buyer and seller may have done differently - for me, it would all depend on whether either party attempted to resolve the issue in another way prior to the dispute.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Making an offer

If the seller had multiples of the same item available then you have purchased 2.

Hardly the seller's fault and although they could offer you a mutual cancellation on one of them they may have been burnt in the past as if you got that wrong too and ticed the wrong box they would not get their fvf refund and you could, if you felt like it, leave them a neg.

You should either pay for both and re sell one of them to recoup your money or accept the unpaid item strike and mae sure you never get another, one won't have any impact on your account.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Making an offer

yarmak
Community Member

The seller can do a mutual canceation collect their fees the byer is not left with a stike for not paying and then the seller sells the item to them at the price they paid.Everyone wins

Dave

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Making an offer

The seller can't do a mutual cancellation, Dave. They have already opened an NPB.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Making an offer

The Seller can change an Unpaid Item Case to a Cancel a Transaction Case/Mutual Cancellation.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Making an offer

They are right, in that once it's opened they can't close it (and get a refund of the final value fees) before another 4 days.

That is not correct. A NPB dispute can be changed to a cancellation at anytime before it is closed.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply