Missing parcel. Seller won’t provide any help to find it and eBay sided with seller??? Help!

I have an item that has not arrived. I requested tracking info and was told the seller did not have this as 30 days had passed. Furthermore that, since 30 days was up, they were not obligated to keep tracking details and took no responsibility from that point.

Filed a case with eBay after seller proved unhelpful, they responded to the case saying 30 days no responsibility and asked eBay to review, eBay did and closed the case in sellers favour without me getting any right of reply. I appealed and almost immediately got a message saying the original decision was upheld. 

I have since then several times requested information to assist tracking down the parcel and seller has ignored all messages. Most recently when resending a previously ignored request the seller has told me quite rudely not to contact them any more and that if I do they will report to eBay. My requests have always been polite, never pushy. Like most people though, I don’t like or appreciate being ignored hence asking several times. And certainly don’t appreciate being abused. 

I’m now at the point where the seller and eBay are not helping and in light of the sellers refusal to give me anything to go with I’m now seeking advice here. Is there another option to appeal further or is 30 days all you get nowadays? 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Missing parcel. Seller won’t provide any help to find it and eBay sided with seller??? Help!

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:

Is there another option to appeal further or is 30 days all you get nowadays? 

With eBay's MBG it's always been 30 days from the final ETA of the item.

Perhaps Paypal's Resolution Centre if you paid that way - they give 180 days from the date of purchase.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 39
Latest reply

Thanks padi. It’s been a very very long time (years) since I’ve had an issue I needed to resolve via eBay. I always thought it was longer than that timeframe. 

I wasn’t aware you could go via PayPal for help since eBay stopped using them instead of the new managed payment into bank accounts started. If that’s the case I’ll look into that. 

It’s mind boggling that a seller would flatly refuse to provide even basic info like date of posting and description of packaging and go as far as threatening me rather than help. 

Message 3 of 39
Latest reply

If it's the medals then I'd suspect they sent them by letter and have no tracking despite claiming they sent with signature on delivery. Which will work in your favour if you open a Paypal dispute.

Message 4 of 39
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:

I wasn’t aware you could go via PayPal for help since eBay stopped using them instead of the new managed payment into bank accounts started. If that’s the case I’ll look into that. 

Yes, sellers are not paid into their PayPal account any more, but if you used PayPal to pay you can certainly still open a case. 

Message 5 of 39
Latest reply

Should I cease all attempts to resolve this directly with the seller? Can they lodge a formal complaint to eBay about a message asking for information on a parcel? 

Part of me likes to believe in people a bit too much but another part of me (especially now since the seller has been downright rude to the point of abuse/harassment) just wants to push back. 

Do you just go via the original transaction in PayPal or is it better to go through my bank as it was paid via credit card?

Message 6 of 39
Latest reply

Don't bother with the seller any more just open a dispute with Paypal, if that fails for some reason then try the chargeback route.

Message 7 of 39
Latest reply

And another interesting point is the estimated delivery date keeps changing. So even a week and a half ago I looked on the order and it still specified 26th February to 1st March as the eta. When I look today it’s saying estimated delivery between the 8th and 13th March? Why?

Message 8 of 39
Latest reply

If the original ETA was 26th Feb - !st March then I don't understand why eBay denied your claim at all. Maybe try calling them again and ask for a supervisor ASAP into the chat and point out they are going against their own policies in the MBG.

DON'T go the Paypal route until you've exhausted the MBG side of it, or else goth disputes will be closed on you.

As to the different ETA's now, I can't explain that one.

Message 9 of 39
Latest reply

Are you looking at the original ad you actually bought from? The seller hasn't a second identical item up for sale? That's all I can think of if you are seeing later delivery dates.

As far as the seller goes, I hear your frustration. I would expect any half way decent seller to answer your messages at least in the first instance, to give you some peace of mind as to when and where posted etc

From now on in, you need to forget that avenue.

It doesn't sound as if you will get anywhere with ebay if they keep saying it is over 30 days.

You can go the paypal route, definitely. Paypal isn't just for ebay purchases, it is for any purchase where you used paypal. 

If ebay MBG bombs out completely, then you can go into your paypal account (Definitely not both together though), look up the account part in paypal which lists purchases and click on the link there, I think it says something like report a problem or other actions.

Here's the good news. If you have maybe never made a paypal claim or none recently, you may well be awarded a refund automatically, on the spot, when you claim item not received.

This is what happened to me this week-not in a claim of my own, but my sister in law was making a claim on some shoes (bought early Jan, where seller kept saying they were on the way, tracking number given but not in the system). I was helping her and I think we were both surprised when the refund was immediate, without the seller given right of reply.

So I have every confidence you will get a refund from paypal if ebay is a no go. Good luck!

Message 10 of 39
Latest reply