Money back guarantee/buyer protection for fake item from O/S?

What's the deal? If an item advertised in a listing as original or genuine and confirmed by the seller as such (via a question to the seller) is purchased from overseas and is subsequently found to be a fake, am I covered completely 100% safe etc etc for this by either eBay/PayPal/credit card company (assuming a card is used to fund the purchase)? Will I need to pay up front to return the item or will the seller be required to cover return postage as is the case locally? Also does my postage cost that I paid originally get refunded as it does locally? In this case the postage is higher than normal (like a $120 postal charge and a $12 item) which is why I ask.

If the item is seized by customs as a fake (which happens) then am I still covered?
Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Money back guarantee/buyer protection for fake item from O/S?

As far as I know both eBay and Paypal require wirtten proof from a third party (the original maker for example) that the item is a fake, I'm not sure about CC but would imagine that proof would also be needed by them as well.

Since it's theoretically against the law to post fakes by AP, then if you have that proof then no you shouldn't need to post it back.

Bear in mind however that the oiginal makers are often very reluctant to provide proof of an item being fake.

To add with a customs seizure I'm not sure of any outcome.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Padi is right.....ebay, paypal or your credit card issuer will require written proof that the item is fake from an authorised 3rd party.

The ebay money back guarantee gives you your full payment including postage back if you win the dispute.  It also guarantees that your return postage is covered to anywhere in the world.....but not if you don't have that written proof that the item is fake.

The paypal refund process also gives you a full refund of your original payment if you win the dispute and the postage to return the item if you click to take part in the promotion.

You are not usually covered by ebay or paypal if an item is confiscated by Customs...it is considered to be delivered.

However, if Customs give you a written statement that the item was confiscated because it is a fake you may be able to argue your case for a full refund.  I have never heard of anyone being successful in this case but then I have never heard of Customs telling anything that the item is a fake.`

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

It's more about a claim of authenticity of an
Item coming from a country known for its fakes. I'm looking to buy. The seller has said the item is an authentic and original antique item dating from the 40s. I'm only prepared to risk it if I know I'm 100% safe. So this is purely hypothetical.

Is an expert in antiques an acceptable authorised person to verify authenticity? Obviously if i buy the first thing I'm doing once it arrives is having it assessed and valued. So under these circumstances (where it's highly unlikely the maker can attest to its originality since it's supposedly antique and where it's entirely possible the maker was in fact a 12 year old from China 6 months ago) can i still buy with confidence?

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

And on the postage refunded issue I thought there was a $40 limit to that postage amount. Does that mean I'd still be up for the shortfall? Overseas signed for postage isn't cheap.
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

If it from the 1940s then it is not an Antique to start with.

Just because the seller assures you that the item is authentic doesn't mean anything...no seller is going to tell you they are selling fakes.

I doubt that anyone here on the boards can guarantee that your "expert" is going to be accepted by ebay or paypal.  All anybody can do is tell you what the rules are, not how they are going to be interpreted/applied by ebay/paypal.

I believe that there is a $45 limit on the postage to return the item if you make a paypal claim.  That is why a Not As Described claim should be made through ebay rather than paypal as ebay covers the full postage, or rather, forces the seller to cover it if they want the item returned.  Often if the item in question is recognised as a fake you do not have to return it anyway.

No-one on the boards can give you a 100% guarantee that you will win a dispute and will receive a 100% refund....it just does not work lik that.

To be honest, a price tag ot $12 with $120 postage sounds a bit suss to me.

You sound so sure that you are going to receive a fake that I don't think you should be relying on ebay or paypal to give you a 100% refund.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Yes I realise technically not "antique" but my meaning was to suggest I wasn't talking about a modern watch etc or an item where it's possible to check with the manufacturer. An item from the 40s is still able to be valuable to a collector and faked if there's enough worldwide interest.
Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

And I agree it sounds sus yet the seller says absolutely not fake, guaranteed genuine. They have 100% positive feedback. So hard to know what to think.
Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

I always rely on my gut feeling - if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

It sounds like you are already having doubts.

A seller isn't going to say they guarantee something to be genuine - maybe/maybe not. I've never heard of a scammer telling the mark that they are ripping them off ๐Ÿ™‚

While they have 100% feedback have a read and see what the feedback is for, what do they usually sell?

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

So many red flags and you are still considering buying the item?.................forget it.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply