Need help exercising my consumer rights ?

I purchase a Bluetooth headset from a seller on the 16th Nov as a Christmas present for my son. He unwrapped it on Christmas day and we found it will not hold a charge. Seller declined a return request and immediately blocked my eBay account so I could not contact them. How can I get their details so I can put in a complaint with fair trading? 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ok, it took a while but I got a full refund from PayPal and the $20 voucher from eBay because the troubles covered the postage with $10 to spare. eBay should put more effort into weeding out these slimeball sellers that wreck it for everyone. 

Thanks every one for your input. 

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

If it is within 30 days of the final ETA you can use eBay's Money Back Guarantee to open a dispute for "item not as described".  Once you have opened it DO NOT close it until you are completely satisfied with the outcome. Closed cases cannot be reopened.

https://pages.ebay.com.au/ebay-money-back-guarantee/index.html

If it's past that time limit, open a dispute with Paypal if you paid that way, or open a chargeback with your bank if you used a credit card.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Why are you not opening a dispute? What does this have to dow with Fair Trading? You are on Ebay, and you need to use Ebay's tools to get a refund.

A seller blocking you does nothing to stop you from opening a case.

Go to the transaction and open a case for "Item Not as Described". The seller will have to send you a postage label if they want it back, of they will have to refund you. If the seller unblocks you and tries to communicate, just ignore them.

Please read up on the buyers guide of what to do when things go wrong. You've been here since 2004, so I'm surprised you don't have any idea about resolving issues.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

It seems the mistake you made was to not check the item - but wrapped it for Christmas - never do that again.

Test - then wrap.

Do what others have suggested - all your tools as a buyer - are at your disposal - use them.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Unfortunately, I had allowed the 30 days to expire before requesting a return. An eBay agent reviewed the situation and agreed the seller's behaviour needs to be addressed. I submitted a refund request with Paypal and waiting on a response.   

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

@buzzawak wrote:

I submitted a refund request with Paypal and waiting on a response.   

I hope it goes well for you, make sure however that you don't open a chargeback as well as the Paypal case or both may be closed against you.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Sorry, I assumped you could read between the lines. I open a case but because 30 days has passed the seller declined the return request. eBay recommended to contact the seller via eBay messages to try to resolve the issue but he seller had blocked me. The point is this seller is a business and has made 13035 sales but has zero negitive comments, that is unusual. I think he achives that rating buy blocking any buyer as soon as a problem is raised. The item I purchase is new and has at least 12 months warranty in it.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Yes I would and do check all purchases as soon as I get them. In hinsigt I should not of purchase the headphone so early That way I could allow my son to unbox his present and still have time to deal with any problem.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

I think he achives that rating buy blocking any buyer as soon as a problem is raised. The item I purchase is new and has at least 12 months warranty in it.

There are no valid warranties on Ebay, unless the item is sold by an authorised distributor, not a random third party seller. Most manufacturers will not honour Ebay warranties as they cannot follow the chain of distribution. There are plenty sellers who sell counterfeit items here, claiming authenticity.

Ebay is not in the business of enforcing warranties and there is no way to get a seller to honour anything, regardless of what they say in the listing. You just have 30 days after receipt to raise an issue. That's it.

In future, you would be much better off purchasing from the shops, where you get a genuine Australian warranty.

Also, as mentioned absolutely check anything you order online the minute you get it. It's the only way to protect yourself.

The seller cannot stop you from leaving feedback - blocking is irrelevant. If you have a transaction with them, you can leave feedback. However, feedback can be removed under certain circumstances, depending on how you word it.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

@buzzawak wrote:

Sorry, I assumped you could read between the lines. I open a case but because 30 days has passed the seller declined the return request. eBay recommended to contact the seller via eBay messages to try to resolve the issue but he seller had blocked me. The point is this seller is a business and has made 13035 sales but has zero negitive comments, that is unusual. I think he achives that rating buy blocking any buyer as soon as a problem is raised. The item I purchase is new and has at least 12 months warranty in it.

We can read between the lines but making assumptions in here can be tricky. For instance, although you purchased mid Nov, we have no idea of when the estimated arrival dates were  and if I recall correctly, the 30 day period of grace to open an ebay claim starts from them, not the purchase date.

Hopefully you will win your paypal claim because the warranty you received is probably worthless, as others have said. It's a problem on ebay-tread extra carefully before buying anything  on here that needs a warranty.

And you have 60 days to leave feedback, so make sure you do. Just don't mention disputes etc. Read up on what isn't allowed in feedback so you can be absolutely sure the seller has no basis on which to run to ebay to ask for it to be removed.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply