No return - no refund policy

I purchased an electronic item to the value of $70.  When it did not function I contacted the seller, sent a video, and the seller offered to send a replacement.  The seller didn't want the defective item returned due to postage costs.  After regular assurances that the item was on the way he raised a "non return" case which cancelled my case.  I was unaware that a defective or broken item must be returned to qualify for a refund.  This left me with no recourse for compensation.  What can I do?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: No return - no refund policy

You've been a member since 2006 - surely long enough to know how things work.

Did YOU open a case for "Not As Described"? Why did you go back and forth with the seller who was obviously not going to send anything?

Had you opened a case within 30 days of the last estimated delivery date and the seller wouldn't issue a return label or forward return postage funds, then their only option would have been to refund you.

If you paid with Paypal, you can open a case for Not as Described as you have 180 days. DO NOT close that case until you have resolution.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

You've been a member since 2006 - surely long enough to know how things work.

Did YOU open a case for "Not As Described"? Why did you go back and forth with the seller who was obviously not going to send anything?

Had you opened a case within 30 days of the last estimated delivery date and the seller wouldn't issue a return label or forward return postage funds, then their only option would have been to refund you.

If you paid with Paypal, you can open a case for Not as Described as you have 180 days. DO NOT close that case until you have resolution.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

PS: you really don't need to send videos etc - it's meaningless to any seller who was not intending to make things right in the first place and a waste of your time.

What was the seller feedback like?

Were there any red flags?

Where are they registered - you can see this by looking at their feedback page.

Can you give us the item number?

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

As Jelly said you have 180 days from the purchase date with Paypal, BUT activate the "limited postage return offer" BEFORE opening the case or you will have to pay return costs.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

@malibu_one wrote:

I purchased an electronic item to the value of $70.  When it did not function I contacted the seller, sent a video, and the seller offered to send a replacement.  The seller didn't want the defective item returned due to postage costs.  After regular assurances that the item was on the way he raised a "non return" case which cancelled my case.  I was unaware that a defective or broken item must be returned to qualify for a refund.  This left me with no recourse for compensation.  What can I do?

Unfortunately the eBay request system is not set up for replacements - always take a return request for how it works in reality, as a refund request. Due to this, the procedure unfortunately has to be: return original item, acquire refund, re-purchase item (from the same or a new seller), unless you have very good reason to trust the seller will follow through on their promise of a replacement (personally I won't even offer replacements as an option when a case is open, if it's not worth paying for an item to be returned, most sellers would probably just refund, if it is, the seller will pay it, begrudgingly or not). 

You may want to try appealing the case with ebay before going to PayPal (if that is an option) - I don't know what the chances of being successful will be, but if they check the messages, surely that will reveal the seller did not want the item returned and has not provided the promised replacement (assuming a second tracking number was never provided, which can be done within a case dispute, despite no other functions supporting this option). 

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

You say that the seller didn't want the defective item returned due to postage costs, but that he then raised a non-return case which cancelled your case.

If you show eBay his correspondence, you might still have  a chance with eBay before opening a case with PayPal, as the seller was obviously manipulative.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Thank you (and everyone else) for your reply.  I could not find a way to get ebay involved again so I went the PayPal way.

Incidentally, seller was Australian origin, very co-operative and helpful - no red flags.  Item #283025884986.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

that item number does not exist. How long ago was this?

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

In a roundabout way I found this Twyn. If that's the one it's a Chinese seller with poor feedback.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless-Ultrasonic-Tank-Liquid-Level-Meter-w-Temperature-Sensor-Transmi...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

You have to look at the feedback page to see where a seller really is registered, not at the location on the listing's page... The seller is indeed registered in China.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply