Old scam, new approach

Just a warning that as just about everyone must have heard of the we are from Microsoft and your computer needs us to take it over etc. they have changed tack. Call I just received claimed that my internet was going to be closed off as I had downloaded some very bad problems but they could fix them if I switched on my computer and did as instructed!!!!!!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Old scam, new approach

Ha. I had a phone call from people like that some time ago.

I said-Oh do tell me, which computer are you talking about?

YOUR computer, madam, he said.

Which computer, tell me the brand & model number, I asked.

After all, if he could see a fault then of course he would know what sort of computer, wouldn't he.

Naturally he couldn't, so i told him he was a liar and should be very ashamed of himself.Woman Very Happy

Gave him the rounds of the kitchen, I did.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Old scam, new approach

Lol springyzone - very clever.

Equally effective is "You must be mistaken - I don't own a computer" - they hang up quick smart when they hear that Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Old scam, new approach

I got the identical call yesterday, I hung up on him - I'm pretty sure the call didn't come from inside Au. The hide of them!!!!

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Old scam, new approach

If I am not busy I will string them along.   I think my record is about 25 minutes before I told them that my computer had carked it a week ago and my new one was still in the packaging.Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Old scam, new approach

I tell all of these types of callers what my rates are per minute, which includes my time telling the fraud squad exactly where they live as I have traced their location. Then I hang up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Old scam, new approach

Lol, that is one of my favourites, "Can I have the long number from your credidt card please?" "why" "Because it costs $10 per minute to talk to me"

With the old version when they said it was about windows I managed to play dumb while telling them all about my new windows and how they were doube glazed and would never need painting as they were PVC. After about 20 mins I said "computer dear, is that one of those new fangled things?):smileylol:

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Old scam, new approach

LOL LOL LOL, I gotta try that!!!

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Old scam, new approach

Hi, Amber. I must be one of the minority who've never received one of those scam calls, probably because I don't answer phone calls from blocked numbers or private callers (I'm also on the 'do not call' register).

I do give them the opportunity to leave a message with their callback number, just in case it's somebody I know, but that's only ever happened once in the last 10 years and the absolute majority simply hang up after realising they're talking to a recording. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Old scam, new approach

CQ, you haven't lived till you have strung a scammer along.  It can be quite funny if their English is not good.

If you're busy you can just hang up n them, but otherwise it is fun.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply