Paying by Bank Deposit (Money Transfer)

Has anyone noticed that, starting sometime in the last few months, when you choose to pay by Bank Deposit (I think it might now be labelled Money Transfer), you have to commit to paying by that method before you are shown the bank account details of the seller? Previously, the seller's account details could be viewed before being locked-in to that choice and you could go back if you changed your mind about which payment method to use.

The reason I mention this is that I prefer to pay by Bank Deposit if the seller and I are with the same bank (in this case, the Commonwealth). With this bank and, I would imagine, most others, the deposit will often show up very soon in the seller's account - it might not clear for a day, but it will usually show up very quickly if it doesn't need to be transferred between different banks. Now the only way to find out which bank the seller is with before committing to pay is if it is mentioned in the auction listing - not many sellers do that.

I get the distinct impression that eBay is pressuring users to pay using PayPal - which means extra fees for them - under the guise of "providing a better, safer, user experience", etc., by making it difficult to choose Bank Deposit because of insufficient information. If they were really serious about providing a better user experience, they would allow users the freedom to make their choices without feeling constrained to do things the way eBay prefers. I know that eBay does not offer buyer protection if I pay by Bank Deposit but I would still like to be able to choose that form of payment without difficulty. I did contact eBay about this a while ago but, of course, I received no response at all. In my opinion, the best way to alienate and lose customers is to ignore them and make them feel insignificant. So much of what we hear and read about eBay is complaints - few positive comments are made. But I suppose that as long as they are making their money, they don't care about the people who provide that money.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

While it is very thoughtful of you to consider the seller and the fee's, please only pay by paypal unless it is a pick up item, which you would pay for with cash once you had inspected it. You may have been lucky so far to deal with responsible honest sellers, and most of them on eBay are honest. But if anything should go wrong - an item not received, or received damaged or faulty, you have no way to claim your money back if you pay by bank deposit should you come across a less than honest seller in the future.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

I also think ebay are "forcing" people to use paypal.

Still use direct deposit if you are happy to do it with a seller. Paypals buyer protection is not as safe as buyers may think and if a seller thinks thay are better off excepting direct deposit to commit fraud they are idiots.

Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

While I respect your comments and even agree with them, your answer does not really address the 'freedom of choice' problem which I raised. If I choose to pay a particular way, I would expect it to be free of unnecessary restrictions. Currently, as I mentioned earlier, the seller's bank can not be ascertained until the buyer has committed to paying by Bank Deposit (unless the seller has stated it in the listing). This is a change from the way it used to be where a seller could determine the seller's bank and then decide whether or not to pay that way (ie take the risk). Not, as it is now, having to make the choice before getting that information. I am aware of the risks involved - I would just like to be able to choose what I do without eBay making it difficult for me.

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

My last comment was directed to  2106greencat, not to dylan11235813.

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

Can't you go into the bank deposit method until you reach the bank details and then change your mind and not use it. Unmark the item as "payment sent" and then choose something else?

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

i use paypal only i prefer it

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

Well you would have no problem buying from me then, I have my bank details in my description and in the item won eamail as well as in checkout.

Still never fails to amaze me that buyer's will pay for even fairly expensive items without the protection of Paypal, I want to yell at them NO, GO BACK, WRONG WAY;-)

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

This is what happened to me earlier on in the week...

I am feeling gutted..................I purchased a Canon5Dmark3 and a Canon 16-35f2.8is usm2 on Ebay for $2,115...The seller tells me that paypal holds his money for three weeks and asks for a direct deposit..Feeling empathy for the guy and because of the good price i do just that.I have done many direct deposits over the years and to be careful i always check the person out on the net.He has a photographic business near Perth Western Australia,is a member of a Aipp and a known photographer in his area.Photographers are normally a very honest bunch of guys and this is a first for me ,but once the funds went through to his account, the guy ceased all communication. He has since blocked my number.I have spoken to him personally and in communication told me he now shoots sports for a Sydney based firm covering sports events.On the phone he sounded like a nice guy and ticked all the boxes of being genuine.
I have had about one hours sleep as being on a DSPension this is a huge amount of borrowed money for me and my stress level has gone through the roof.
If my family and facebook friends can contact or email this guy to drive him nuts it would be more than appreciated.Maybe he can see the error of his ways and do the right thing
He is nothing more than a thief and has more or less stolen $2115 from my back pocket.Share this as someone must know this guy personally.
.............................** REMOVED PHOTOGRAPHY***
$200
Ellenbrook, Upper Swan
REMOVED Photography now has an in home studio in Ellenbrook.

We have a limited time introductory offer of a 1 hour portrait shoot for $200. This includes:

1 hour session
30 high resolution images on disk
Two 13x19 prints on pro paper

Hair & Makeup available at extra cost

This is a very limited offer so book early.

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

Have you tried eBay customer service? Not sure if they can help, but that would be the first thing I would do.

That said I ALWAYS avoid bank deposits. MANY German sellers who have items I love only accept bank deposits and it seems to be OK with eBay.de, but it would be insane with a seller overseas.

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply