Paying by Bank Deposit (Money Transfer)

Has anyone noticed that, starting sometime in the last few months, when you choose to pay by Bank Deposit (I think it might now be labelled Money Transfer), you have to commit to paying by that method before you are shown the bank account details of the seller? Previously, the seller's account details could be viewed before being locked-in to that choice and you could go back if you changed your mind about which payment method to use.

The reason I mention this is that I prefer to pay by Bank Deposit if the seller and I are with the same bank (in this case, the Commonwealth). With this bank and, I would imagine, most others, the deposit will often show up very soon in the seller's account - it might not clear for a day, but it will usually show up very quickly if it doesn't need to be transferred between different banks. Now the only way to find out which bank the seller is with before committing to pay is if it is mentioned in the auction listing - not many sellers do that.

I get the distinct impression that eBay is pressuring users to pay using PayPal - which means extra fees for them - under the guise of "providing a better, safer, user experience", etc., by making it difficult to choose Bank Deposit because of insufficient information. If they were really serious about providing a better user experience, they would allow users the freedom to make their choices without feeling constrained to do things the way eBay prefers. I know that eBay does not offer buyer protection if I pay by Bank Deposit but I would still like to be able to choose that form of payment without difficulty. I did contact eBay about this a while ago but, of course, I received no response at all. In my opinion, the best way to alienate and lose customers is to ignore them and make them feel insignificant. So much of what we hear and read about eBay is complaints - few positive comments are made. But I suppose that as long as they are making their money, they don't care about the people who provide that money.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

You are correct.Earlier on in the week i paid $2115 by direct deposit.When he cancelled the order to avoid Ebay fees i knew i had a problem .After the deposit was made the seller chose to cease communication.I sent messages that i would be going to social media without reply.My dilema was posted to facebook and he hand was forced to communicate with me.I have since been threatened to be sued for deformation of character but no apology on his part about lack of communication..At this point in time Ebay are no help because i did not use PayPal and the seller is still active even though i was promised he would not be selling on Ebay again....As of 4/3/2018 at 2pm i have not received my item or refund and the seller will not respond to any communication..The police will not get involved as it is a civil matter and i will need to initiate court proceedings to recoup my money....Pay by direct deposit at your own risk.I was conned and felt sorry for the guy becuase he said he was a new seller,Paypal fees were like $260 for a $1,900 sale and they held his money for three weeks...You may as well buy something on Gumtree and pay with direct deposit as the risks are the same...Ebay has been no help at all.......A real nightmare,i am a pensioner and just feel like crying.My stress level is through the roof.I had borrowed the money off a family member for this purchase and it will take me two years to repay, without a thing to show for it..This is what i get for being a good bloke....Cheers Richy Norman

Message 11 of 36
Latest reply

I have..They said ring my bank.The bank said ring the police.The police say can't help as it is a civil matter...I just feel sick about the whole thing..I have made plenty of direct deposits without drama but of course the time it is a huge sum of money i deal with a crook.

Message 12 of 36
Latest reply

I have had a huge amount of support through facebook and my post has been shared and shared and shared.People have stopped his business functioning properly.Now he knows the stress i feel...

Message 13 of 36
Latest reply

@richy0072007wrote:

I have had a huge amount of support through facebook and my post has been shared and shared and shared.People have stopped his business functioning properly.Now he knows the stress i feel...

richy, maybe take a look at this ste and make a report

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

ACORN is the federal govt authority established to tackle, among other things, internet fraud,

Message 14 of 36
Latest reply

There are some free legal services in Australia. They are not really free lawyers, but you can get free legal advice. Look up online if there is one near you.

Message 15 of 36
Latest reply

@papermoon.ladywrote:

Have you tried eBay customer service? Not sure if they can help, but that would be the first thing I would do.

That said I ALWAYS avoid bank deposits. MANY German sellers who have items I love only accept bank deposits and it seems to be OK with eBay.de, but it would be insane with a seller overseas.

German sellers do not have to accept paypal....apparently it is not allowed by their banking system.  Ebay has no option but to accept it and allow bank deposit or run foul of German law.

Message 16 of 36
Latest reply

German sellers do not have to accept paypal....apparently it is not allowed by their banking system.  Ebay has no option but to accept it and allow bank deposit or run foul of German law.

Some do accept it and I have bought quite a few items from Germany because postage is cheap (no GSP) and good. When sellers don't accept PayPal the items cannot even be viewed on eBay Australia, I assume because PayPal is the primary payment method here. I get this message if I try to view them on eBay Australia: This listing (**********) has been removed, or this item isn't available. I guess those who accept PayPal do so spontaneously and not because they have to, like here. It is annoying because sometimes I have seen absolute bargains, but it's too risky to buy them on eBay.de and send the seller a bank deposit.

I am just watching a couple of auctions in Germany that end this evening (of course they accept PayPal)!

Message 17 of 36
Latest reply

What I did notice when I bought a few items of cutlery from Germany was that the sellers who accepted paypal all had very English sounding names and absolutely no problem with English.

Other sellers who did not accept paypal were either businesses or had very German sounding names.

I suspect that the English sounding/paypal using sellers may have been from the UK originally and were possibly using UK bank accounts.

Apart from the high cost of doing international bank transfers I would be happy any time to deal with German sellers.  They were all very efficient and quick with shipping and the charges were excellent.

Message 18 of 36
Latest reply

Mine actually had German names - so far at least.

Yes, of course a bank deposit to overseas is not cheap. I am often tempted because many buyers are afraid I guess or have the same concerns I have, so I can see also from the fb that the final prices of auctions are often bargains. And then I am afraid myself, which might be silly, but... 😞

Message 19 of 36
Latest reply

Your comment is inappropriate and has been reported. This is not the place to make accusations about people, whether you are right or wrong.

Latest reply