Paypal approves refund, then later declines refund

Bought a second hand iphone 4s $360.00 .

The phone was described as in excellent condition,however the battery was failing so I ordered another battery for it.

When I went to replace the battery there are 4 screws that need removing, 2 to open the case and 2 that hold the battery in. 

One of the threads of the screws to remove the battery had previously been damaged which made it impossible for me to remove the battery.

The seller told me to bring it to a shop to get it fixed, I asked who was to pay for that and that I could buy a refurbished model for under $400.00.

How can an item descibed as being in excellent condition have a failing battery and a wrecked scew?

I spoke to payal on the phone, they approved to refund with an email so I ordered another phone.

The seller contested it and I sent screenshots of the seller and my email conversations.

They then reversed their dececion.

I will be out of pocket, not only will I need to sell one of the phones, but the other I will need to pay to get repaied.

Where's the buyer protection? Should I go to VCAT? 

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

cq_tech
Community Member
You need to ring Paypal and speak with a supervisor, and ask him why they reversed their decision, and if you're unhappy with their reply, tell them so, and that unless they uphold their original decision to refund you within 7 days, you will be lodging an official complaint with the Financial Ombudsmans Service (https://forms.fos.org.au/OnlineDispute).

Because the FOS charge Paypal quite a considerable fee every time a complaint against them is lodged and investigated, I'm betting that they will change their minds on the spot and decide to refund you after all. However, if they don't, go ahead and lodge your complaint and from what you have said above, it seems to me that your complaint would be upheld and that their original decision to refund you would stand.
Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

thanks for that. That link is no longer valid, here's the new one https://forms.fos.org.au/OnlineDispute

would you like to see the email conversation?

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

You mauyy find you have invalidated any protection by trying to fix the problem, had you just filed an item not as described dispute you would probably have won and have got a refund as soon as you proved you had returned it.

In most cases, on ebay or off, goods have to be returned in the same condition they were when received.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Sending the screen shots was probably the worst thing you could do as you have admitted to tampering with the phone when the seller told you to take it to a shop for repairs.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

I HAVE to take the phone to the shop. I have no choice.

Those warranties are only valid for new products with manufacturers guarantees. There are no disclaimers in the ad. And also I couldn't even go beyond the slip where they tell you not to go.

The battery in the phone is no good, the item WAS NOT in excellent condition as described and I think Paypal should know the conversation I had with the seller.

And my **bleep** is in labour and I'm soooo tired.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

My female dog is in labour, and can't use English in proper context.

Anyway, I had already had a phone conversation with one of paypal staff and they approved the refund from the conversation I had and I told them exaxtly what I'm telling you all. Had they not aproved it, I would not have bought another phone.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Why are you spending that kind of money on a second hand iphone 4s when you can get one brand new (with warranty) at the PO for $399.

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

because the seller sounded genuine in the ad.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

I just rang them and they've re-opened the case and I have 10 days to return it.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply