Paypal approves refund, then later declines refund

Bought a second hand iphone 4s $360.00 .

The phone was described as in excellent condition,however the battery was failing so I ordered another battery for it.

When I went to replace the battery there are 4 screws that need removing, 2 to open the case and 2 that hold the battery in. 

One of the threads of the screws to remove the battery had previously been damaged which made it impossible for me to remove the battery.

The seller told me to bring it to a shop to get it fixed, I asked who was to pay for that and that I could buy a refurbished model for under $400.00.

How can an item descibed as being in excellent condition have a failing battery and a wrecked scew?

I spoke to payal on the phone, they approved to refund with an email so I ordered another phone.

The seller contested it and I sent screenshots of the seller and my email conversations.

They then reversed their dececion.

I will be out of pocket, not only will I need to sell one of the phones, but the other I will need to pay to get repaied.

Where's the buyer protection? Should I go to VCAT? 

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Make absolutely sure you send it with online tracking and signature on delivery, and ONLY to the address paypal give you .. keep the receipt from the P.O., paypal will ask you to prove you have returned it to this address and you will need to scan and upload this to get your refund.

Message 11 of 32
Latest reply

Ok it pays to shop around, Ebay is not cheaper in a lot of cases.
Good luck
Message 12 of 32
Latest reply

• thanks everyone, you've been great and we finally have the first pupy boy. I hoe she hurries up with the others because I need some sleep.
Message 13 of 32
Latest reply

@a_beautiful_room wrote:

Make absolutely sure you send it with online tracking and signature on delivery, and ONLY to the address paypal give you .. keep the receipt from the P.O., paypal will ask you to prove you have returned it to this address and you will need to scan and upload this to get your refund.

Also, ask the PO to include the postcode for the addressee on the receipt, make sure to ask this before they process the parcel, as they can't do it afterwards. If they forget to add the postcode (which they often do) ask that they write it on the receipt, with the date, & sign it (although this still might not be enough if they had forgot to include the postcode originally, but it can't hurt).

It's not enough to just prove you posted something somewhere, you need the postcode included in the postal receipt to prove you posted it to the sellers adress, for if they then claim it never arrived.

Good luck.

Message 14 of 32
Latest reply

this is what it says in the email, I'll just send it express I think. That would be the easiest thing to do I guess.

PayPal requires you to use an approved shipping or delivery service that
provides online proof of shipment or delivery. Acceptable forms of proof of
shipment or delivery include:
- A copy of the postage receipt that includes the seller's delivery
address. You can get this from Australia Post's Registered Post and
Australia Post's Registered Post International, or
- A shipping code that PayPal can use online to view the shipping status
and the seller's delivery address. You can get this from TNT, DHL, FedEx
and other carriers, or
- A receipt issued by the carrier that is signed by the recipient
acknowledging delivery.

This documentation you provide must also include:
- The date the item was sent.
- An official acceptance by the carrier, such as a postmark or online
status. A status that shows the item was delivered is also acceptable.

Message 15 of 32
Latest reply

OMG aren't you listening !!! I know you've had no sleep but express will NOT cover you. It doesn't have signature delivery, and it doesn't have online tracking.

Take it to the P.O. and send WITH TRACKING AND SIGNED FOR DELIVERY. NOT EXPRESS! It does not say express is acceptable, it doesn't even imply express is acceptable. Follwo the instructions to the letter or you will lose.

Either that or send it with e-go or one of the online carriers which has tracking online and signed for delivery. They are quite cheap too.

Message 16 of 32
Latest reply

@puppoochi wrote:

this is what it says in the email, I'll just send it express I think. That would be the easiest thing to do I guess.

Ask the Post Office first. as they can't include the postcode on a receipt for an Express satchel. They should be able to for the 'signature on delivery' that you get to go with it though, but double check this first, and make sure they realize it's very important they include the postcode on the receipt. Signature on delivery also includes tracking.

And make sure that you send the phone back in the same condition as you received it, so make sure the covers reattached etc... Pack it very securely, and take pics to show how it was packed (just to cover yourself). It might be a good idea to pay for extra cover to insure it for it's full value too.

This seller has already acted in a deceptive manner by listing it in excellent condition when it clearly wasn't, so don't trust that they are now going to act honestly all of a sudden.

Message 17 of 32
Latest reply

OOPs... d'oh me. I forgot something.

Sending it via Epress is completely pointless as it won't arrive any faster than standard post. You cannot send lithium batteries (found in mobiles) via air mail (express). Whether it's posted express or not, it can only be sent by road transport. So don't waste your money paying extra for express, use it for the extra cover instead. That way if they claim it was damaged when they received it & therefore not in same condition as they sent to you & thus they don't have to refund,... you're covered.

Message 18 of 32
Latest reply

Or at least you 'might' be covered. Hmmm... it would be a tricky one to claim on. Ask if the person at AP will let you take a pic of them with the phone (showing) in the box before it's sealed, can't hurt to ask.

Message 19 of 32
Latest reply

Will people never learn.

Don't buy someone elses used carp.

If the phone/computer/laptop/electronic widget was usable they'd KEEP IT THEMSELVES.

Message 20 of 32
Latest reply