Pick ups during Melbourne lockdown

I cannot find any info regarding pick ups during Stage 4 lockdown in Melbourne. What is the situation if the pick up location is greater than 5km?
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Being in Melb metro under stage 4 lockdown...I'd say NO...
Even if the pickup is within 5km...it would still be NO

It's not one of the 'acceptable' reasons for being away from home. I wouldn't risk the fine Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

@jogian-16 wrote:
I cannot find any info regarding pick ups during Stage 4 lockdown in Melbourne. What is the situation if the pick up location is greater than 5km?

I think the situation is pretty clear.

You are only allowed out and about to shop/click & collect or whatever if it is within 5 km of your home. You can go further if there is no shop within 5km.

But that means for things such as food.

You can't even have tradesmen in your home, for example, unless it is an emergency situation. I doubt whatever you are going to pick up comes under the category of food & supplies you need (as opposed to 'would like to have')

You are not meant to be visiting anyone at all except for care or caregiving. That and medical treatment or going to work would be the main reasons to be travelling more than 5km.

What the stage 4 lockdown is about is limiting movement & limiting contact so if the virus is spread, it won't go far. If you travel for a pick up item, you're breaking both those things.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

@minimum_56 wrote:

Being in Melb metro under stage 4 lockdown...I'd say NO...
Even if the pickup is within 5km...it would still be NO

It's not one of the 'acceptable' reasons for being away from home. I wouldn't risk the fine Smiley Wink

Forget the fine...don't risk contributing to prolonged restrictions.

Stay home - it's called a lockdown for a reason.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

It is rather alarming how flippant people are about the situation 

Sure, stage four lockdown, why not go visit a stranger to pick up a non-essential item for fun

Why not hey

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Unfortunately - sometimes the possibility of a fine is the only reason for some people to comply to the restrictions in place.

You hear about some of the reasons for breaking of the curfew or travel restrictions in place - some are totally ridiculous & so 'self-absorbed' that I feel embrassed when I hear them!!

With an elderly relative in aged-care in Melb - we dodged the bullet when all staff & residents tested negative recently.
They've been under lockdown since March. Incredibly difficult to vist her (except window visits) but it kept everyone safe - which is the main thing in my book.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Yes I agree.

I'm in South Australia but have a new niece I haven't been able to meet yet as she and her family live in Melbourne. She was born two days after the SAโ€”VIC border closed in March, so it's just been unfortunate timing. Like you said though, safety first.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

It is rather alarming how flippant people are about the situation 

Sure, stage four lockdown, why not go visit a stranger to pick up a non-essential item for fun

Why not hey

Maybe this is the reason Victoria has nearly 8,000 current COVID-19 cases..........words fail me...........

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

The reason for my question was due to the fact ebay is permitting sellers to select pick up as the only option. Hard to comprehend how ebay permits this, but to all those passing judgement around whether I myself was breaking the rules stop being so presumptuous.
Can I suggest that ebay has a lot to answer for by encouraging pick up
Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

You expect ebay to set parameters for just Melbourne?

The rest of the country is allowed pick up, I believe.

It's up to Melburnians to know where they stand on such vital matters in lockdown.

Lockdown is lockdown.   Stay home!

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply