Pinching other people's photo

I am a bit bemused.

What do you think of this?

I have been looking at prams for my daughter. The ones we have been looking for are quite expensive, often on ebay for about the $400 mark or more.

One came on, listed as almost new, starting at 99c. Obviously they would not expect it to sell for that, but I put in a bid, asked some questions, had a close look at the photos. Two were from the oficial webiste I would say, while one was clearly a home photo taken on a deck. Th actual pram, or so I thought.

Imagine my surprise to scroll through other ads today and see someone else with a whole series of photos, including the deck shot. I suspect the photos are theirs as they have several.

The ridiculous thing is this> the ad  I bid on says excellent condiion, only used about 10 times etc, while the photo shows what appears to be some sun fade.

So why would anyone pinch another person's photo, or at least, if you are going to pinch one, why not pinch a top notch one!

As far as I am concerned, my seller has shot himself in the foot as for a genuine person, I might have been willing to bid up much higher but no way now.

And what if I win and the item is nothing like as described? It is a pick up item but can i walk away without a negative strike if it isn't  as described?

Is there any ebay policy about this practice of using someone else's photos?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Pinching other people's photo

Walk away from the transaction, if you feel its a scam it probably is.

If the seller is not responding to your emails dont buy from them.

There are lots of sellers out there who will bend over backwards to make a sale 

Buy from one of them, that way if there is a problem they are more than likely to help.

To me service and communication from the seller is worth the extra money

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Pinching other people's photo

That is true, but I had bid well before I noticed the discrepancy.

I'm not the winning bidder now so I won't be buying it but the silly thing is, if the seller had used his own photos I might have been prepared to go up a lot higher. Confidence is everything.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply