Policy on rip off sales why does eBay allow this

samagr_4
Community Member

Ebay started a spring promotion today with 20% savings. One hobby store increased all its prices by 10% and more yesterday and is now offering 20% off! What a joke what a rip off, they should be banned.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You're thinking of sales a normal merchant does, these are by invitation and yes, I would have hoped eBay had it's bots targeting these invitation only sales.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Your choice not to buy from that seller.

So let me get this straight they increased by 10% and offering 20% markdown so that's still 10% off and with eBay's promo that's 30% off in total. Still a substantial discount.

image host
Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

They raised their prices by 10% yesterday and eBay offers a 20% discount to the buyer today, so in effect, it's only a 10% discount from yesterday. I've spoken to a few people and I believe it's against eBay policy for sellers joining into these sales promotions to raise their prices and then offer a discount when they know the promotion is going to happen.

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Screen shot from yesterday of the items I was looking at and screen shot from today

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Today

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Maybe the seller was allready discounting their prices by 10%, so prices may have returned  to normal for commencement of ebay

20% promo.   Sellers change prices all the time and dont have to advise if price is reduced.. just seems that buyers often expect

that prices only move one way.

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

Just viewed your screenshots, unless I am missing something the list prices are the same, then you have to apply the code for

a 20% discount.  Please explain what I am not seeing here.

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

The prices in the two screenshots you've attached are the same, as gutterpunkz says.

If you are trying to prove that the seller raised their prices by 10% before you took a screenshot, then you need a screenshot showing that. By posting screenshots that don't show anything of the sort, you fail to prove your case.

In any event, just to clarify - it's eBay who gives the 20% discount to the buyer, not the seller. Perhaps the seller knew in advance about the 20% discount to be offered by eBay; perhaps they didn't.

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

I've contacted another merchant, who are not participating in the sale, that the eBay retailer must not change their prices for a week prior to a promotion to make to give the customers the greatest benefit from the sale.

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

Sorry an error on my part, I have screenshots from Monday and today showing the increase in price and the promotion starting, I tried to upload both at once but made an error.

The sellers in these case are participating retailers and know in advance when the promotion is going to happen. 

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply