Possible shill bidder?

cyo27
Community Member

Hi guys,

I'm very new to bidding so please excuse me if I'm way off the mark or not understanding things properly. I just want to get your opinion on whether or not I may be going head to head with a shill bidder. Below is the current bidding history for the item:

Screenshot_20210419-225241_Chrome.jpg

I normally don't bid at all until the last minute, but I was recently burned when a seller ended the auction early on an item I really wanted. So this time I thought I'd put my max bid in and see what happens.

I was the one who pushed the bid price up to $60, and I'm currently the highest bidder. It's the 5***2 fellow I'm not sure about. They seem to keep coming back every few hours to put a new bid in, and I just find it a bit odd that they keep trying despite getting beaten by my max bid every time. I checked out their profile and they've only bid on 2 other items this month, from different sellers and no retractions. Am I simply overthinking this or could this person be a shill bidder? Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Possible shill bidder?

@katistrophik wrote:

Well at least the OP had the good sense to know whose advice to take, thank goodness.

------------------------------------------

hahaha.  Could have been the end of the world by the way you stretch it. The reason papermoon.lady had her post selected as a solution is that she gave an honest account of of something she had experienced and also because her post was more intelligent than others suggesting it was just a benign action on the part of the bidder.

@katistrophik wrote:

How would they have felt had they reported that poor innocent buyer for doing nothing more than most nibblers do LOL

QUOTE: "poor innocent buyer". Great choice of words.  Innocent, quite possibly! Poor? Hmmm.

Nobody here was suggesting buyer be reported and even if by chance down the track the buyer gets reported for similar behavior, if they're just doing what papermoon.lady described in her post then there's nothing to worry about. And there's nothing wrong with discussing on this thread what does take place in other auctions.

Message 21 of 24
Latest reply

Nobody here was suggesting buyer be reported

You were.

Let it go, son.

Message 22 of 24
Latest reply

Oh gosh  ......  davewil1964 *SIGH*

Message 23 of 24
Latest reply

Why am I not surprised that that is the most cogent response you can muster.

The thread is about a particular instance of possible shilling. It doesn't seem to be. Your reference to a 6 year old thread by somebody who would die rather offer an answer is off-topic and irrelevant.

You want to give it, you take it.

I have no doubt I can do condescension better than you

Message 24 of 24
Latest reply